Are the Hawks a tourny team or not?

Will Iowa make the Big Dance?

• Total voters
I think Iowa COULD make the tournament.. But at this point, gotta say no. Beat UNI, and that's a good start down the right path. Lose that one, and I'll be less optimistic. To say it's a big game Saturday on a neutral floor against a good opponent, would be an understatement.

I don't like to place too much emphasis on a single game in December, but IMO the Hawks really need this one.

Well I think if this poll was halfway through the BoneG it would be easy. This poll shows if you think Iowa is as good as they played against ISU or if that was just a let down game. Id say this poll would easily be flip flopped if asked before the ISU game.

I voted yes, fwiw because I don't think Iowa's nearly as bad as they looked last week, but they're squarely a bubble team, IMO.

Too early to know obviously, and Friday will go a long way towards answering this question.

Iowa really needs to step up their guard play, that much is obvious.

Fortunately the B1G is way down this year, so #4-8 is totally up for grabs.

No. The guard play isn't there and B1G teams and officials know Aaron Whites game. They won't bail him out and the # of free throws he attempts will be down and half court as always will continue to be a struggle.

No. They might make the NIT.

This is Fran's worst team since year one.. He needs a big talent infusion to compete in this BRUTAL conference

The NIT tourney....Iowa has been so predictable.....good first half and hangin tough w/your opponent, then the wheels fall off......the 1st 5 minutes of the 2nd half are their Achilles Heel.....Need some horses in the lineup, not a bunch of miniature ponies.....

Iowa is probably around 35-40 this year with the guard situation/poor shooting. Good defense will keep them in most B1G games, it's up to the players to continue to improve.

No. They might make the NIT.

This is Fran's worst team since year one.. He needs a big talent infusion to compete in this BRUTAL conference

^This. I have us at 15-16 or 16-15 going into the conference tournament. The lack of shooting, from top to bottom, is just plain abysmal. Maybe Jok or Ellingson can make big strides but even then I don't see it a big enough difference. Coaching is way too good in this conference.

Besides lack of talent, there is something wrong with the mentality of this team. ??

For the record I voted no. The basic reason is Iowa's conference schedule and the one game opponents on the road. If Iowa has any chance it has to win out in the non-conference to get to 10 and 3, because it is not going .500 in the conference. Iowa has two games each versus Wisconsin and Ohio State, that is four losses in my estimation. Wisconsin has as good or better shooting than ISU and OSU is highly athletic with better shooting. Iowa's one time opponents on the road are Purdue, Michigan, Penn State, and Indiana. Who do they beat? The one time opponents at home are MSU, Maryland (who beat the clones), Rutgers, and Illinois. I can see Iowa beating the latter two, but I do not see them beating Maryland and MSU. I can see them beating Nebraska, Northwestern, Rutgers, Illinois, and Minnesota at home. I'll give them road wins at Michigan and Northwestern. That is 7 and 11 within the conference. I just can't find another win to get to 8 and 10. Without a 10 and 3 non-conference record and 8 and 10 conference record they are not getting in. If they are 7 and 11 going into the tournament they better win 3 games.

No. The guard play isn't there and B1G teams and officials know Aaron Whites game. They won't bail him out and the # of free throws he attempts will be down and half court as always will continue to be a struggle.

Yeah, the guard play just isn't there, nor is any consistency in outside shooting. I think there will be a few games where the shots are going down (luck?) and Iowa might win a couple games we might not expect, but on the flip side, there might be a few disappointing losses where Iowa can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Without any outside shooting, it's going to make it tough for our post guys. So IMO, the key is going to be, how good of team defense can this team play? If they can play tough D all season, that will keep them in most games and give them a chance to win - but still are going to have to make a few shots.

I voted yes, but my confidence level is probably 2 on a scale of 10. Beat UNI, the confidence number is 4, lose and I flip my vote.

I voted no. The weak guard play on this team, combined with poor perimeter shooting will not get them to the NCAA's.

It's a shame too. JO has flamed out. MG is not a reliable shooter and makes poor decisions when he goes to the rack. I don't blame FM for this. Both those players were highly regarded coming out of high school and while I don't like to use the word "bust", not sure what else to call them. Both seem to have peaked in high school:(.

It depends where did we land last year on the debate if the play in game is making the tourney?

I think it is another play in year which would be disappointing in frans 5th season. This team lacks the ability to hit needed shots.

Bubble.

Depends on where 18-21 wins gets you. It could be a 9th seed in the tournament or they could be hosting a game in the NIT. Just too early to tell.

My hope is that it is simply too early to tell. My fear is that we have significant weaknesses in the guard court and are a poor shooting team...result would be no NCAA.

Latest posts