Anyone else a Hawk fan who goes/went to ISU?

I0WA

Coming out, I am a sophomore at ISU who is STILL a DIE HARD Hawkeye fan who puts the Hawks over any other collegiate team out there. I've met a couple other Hawks here to. While I do admit I have gone from anti- ISU anything, I will cheer for them when they are not playing Iowa. You can bet I will be wearing Black & Gold in a week and a half in the student section. Anyone else go to ISU and still Hawk fans?

Guilty. Only difference is, I hate ISU more than cancer. As I tell people when asked why I am an Iowa fan. "I'm from Iowa, I just lived in Ames for four years."

Honestly....went once in the 80s....got accosted, yelled at, things thrown at me.....never again.

Coming out, I am a sophomore at ISU who is STILL a DIE HARD Hawkeye fan who puts the Hawks over any other collegiate team out there. I've met a couple other Hawks here to. While I do admit I have gone from anti- ISU anything, I will cheer for them when they are not playing Iowa. You can bet I will be wearing Black & Gold in a week and a half in the student section. Anyone else go to ISU and still Hawk fans?
No shame in that man. Just study hard, keep your nose clean, and then reapply to real college in a couple years.

Coming out, I am a sophomore at ISU who is STILL a DIE HARD Hawkeye fan who puts the Hawks over any other collegiate team out there. I've met a couple other Hawks here to. While I do admit I have gone from anti- ISU anything, I will cheer for them when they are not playing Iowa. You can bet I will be wearing Black & Gold in a week and a half in the student section. Anyone else go to ISU and still Hawk fans?[/QUOTE

Very interesting that you ask. I graduated from Iowa State and have always been a die hard Hawkeye fan. My 3 brothers also graduated from Iowa State and all 3 of them are die hard Hawk fans. I actually went to ISU in the fall of 1998. Iowa had won 15 straight games in football going into that season and then Iowa State won 5 straight against the Hawks. It was brutal that ISU beat Iowa all 4 years I went to school there but I always wore my Hawkeye gear around campus every day. There were several students that were Hawkeye fans when I was going to school there. Still today, the most asked question that I have ever had was, "Why didn't you just go to Iowa?". I hate to sound like a nerd but most people don't go to college just to cheer on their favorite team. I majored in Ag Business and ISU has a great Ag Business program. Ames was also closer to home so I decided to go to ISU instead of Iowa and I have absolutely no regrets at all. I would encourage anybody to go to college at Iowa State. It is a great college but I will never, ever be a Cyclone fan. I hate to admit though, ISU had their best run in football and basketball when I was going to school there. Especially basketball. Marcus Fizer, Horton, Tinsley, Shirley, Nurse and company were really, really fun to watch. I actually cheered for ISU when they weren't playing Iowa back in those days. Now that I have been out of college for 11 years, I am back to hating Iowa State. But sitting in the student section during the Hawkeye game can be flat out brutal.

Also, I probably should admit this, but I still have a couple ISU intramural champion T-shirts that I wear every now and then. But of course not during Hawkeye games.

Last edited:
I attended Journalism school at Iowa State in the early 90s. Worked as a sports writer for the Iowa State Daily. While I learned to like some of the coaches and players I had the chance to interview, it never swayed me at all from being a die-hard Hawk.

I still am anti-Cyclone when it comes to sports, but I am very happy with the Journalism degree I landed during my time in Ames. As for current ISU coaches, I think Paul and Freddy are good coaches and good guys so I can't have too much hate for either of them. I had the chance to interview Fred many times when he played ball at ISU. Very nice kid and humble and he still seems to be very much the same person.

Working as a sports writer afforded me the chance to interview a lot of neat people: Kevin Jackson, Bobby Douglas, Norm Stewart, Hayden Fry, Jim Walden (always a character), Hoiberg, etc. It was a good experience. All of that being said, I still root against ISU.

Good to see Im not the only one. The truth is I am happy at ISU and do not regret studying here. Tons of people do give me crap when I wear Iowa gear and give me dirty looks which I guess I to be fair I had it coming. I remember freshman year I wore a Shonn Greene Jets jersey and some kid tried shi**ing on my life on the elevator haha. Right now students are trying to sell their ISU vs Iowa tickets for $140 plus! I just hope I don't get jumped by some rowdy ISU kids who've been drinking all day before the 5pm kickoff, I will be wearing Black and Gold but being in the student section kinda makes me nervous haha

Honestly....went once in the 80s....got accosted, yelled at, things thrown at me.....never again.

Dude, you must been there the same year I was. Very similar experience...and I was there in an official capacity for the U of I. Classy stuff

Latest posts