Any chance at NCAA without JBo?

JBo hadn't been as effective as in years past this year. It will be a significant loss especially because our depth will take a big hit. But I'm excited for Toussaint to get another 15 minutes per game. And I think this team still has a chance at making the dance.

Do they have a shot? Absolutely. They already have some quality wins and a strong schedule. 10-10 in B1G play would do it.

Will they make it? Who knows.

On paper Jbo’s stats really aren’t great. He’s shooting under 30% from the field and is a defensive liability on many nights. Again we know the value he brings comes in other ways and he will absolutely be missed. But I’m excited to see the makeup of this team going forward.

JBo benefits this team in a lot of ways, most notably his understanding of the game flow and momentum and his desire to take shots and have the ball at the end of games. Because he is a senior and he has credibility from doing it before, everyone on the team submits to that. Without him out there, someone is going to have to take that role, and this is the hardest part, everyone is going to have to buy in. I think there are really only 2 options, wieskamp and CJ because they are the only 2 that can hit the 3, handle the ball and hit free throws. Connor is just not a good enough shooter to take over. Whoever it is has to earn it.

It's an unfortunate situation for sure. If nobody steps up we dont win a lot of games. Then if JBo comes back healthy next year he could be a missing piece if everyone comes back. But if someone does step up this year, what does JBo do when he comes back? I dont think he gets his alpha status back just like that.

I hope I am over thinking it and that someone steps up and next year will be blissful harmony by adding another shooter and leader.

Bohannon was shooting six 3's per game and shooting only 32.8%. Wieskamp, Garza and CJ are all shooting between 41% and 51%. So more 3's for the "better shooters" this season might be a good thing.

Joe T with more minutes likely means more steals, hustle, and better defense than J-Bo

Connor already plays a ton of minutes, but he'll likely get more minutes at PG and his 4:1 assist:turnover ratio is stellar.

Evelyn....man this is your shot. its time to step up and show you were worth a transfer

The major issue is depth. Foul trouble would likely be a disaster for this team.

I still gotta wonder if Fran starts Joe T or Kriener. My gut tells me Kriener starts at the 4. Guessing that will piss some people off but I think it makes sense to have a guard fresh off the bench as your first sub instead of putting Joe, Connor, CJ and Wieskamp all in the starting rotation. Minutes aren't going to be an issue for any of those 4 guys so who cares who starts

Assuming everyone is back next year, Iowa should have a stacked and dangerous team. However, there is zero depth behind Garza at all. That's why the Xavier Foster thing kind of shocked me. Fran has no heir apparent at center coming in either next year which is scary. Maybe Garza can be a 2 time all american and Fran can use that to pull in a top big man. He's going to need to.

Does Iowa even have a shot without JBo?

Yes and IMO I think we will see rather early on though how much this team misses Bohannon. Chemistry is what I will be looking for and how Fran adjusts to life without JBO. I expect Iowa to beat Cincinnati and Kennesaw State and sit 10-3.

Then the most crucial stretch for me will be the 1st 5 Big Ten games in January.

@PennState
@Nebraska
Maryland
@Northwestern
Michigan

Good teams usually have somebody step up, sometimes a guy you don't expect it from. And they also usually come together and play better team basketball. I expect the Hawks will see both happen in this situation. It would be nice to get Patrick back on the court now though.

I’m still not sold they’ll make it.

Garza might be the one who has the biggest impact losing JBo and the spacing he can bring. To me, what has made this offense so great is surrounding Garza with shooters.

The D has been better though so maybe for once we will be able to rely on the D?

Great start to the season and at this point we have to play ourselves out as we’re in as of today.

Yes and IMO I think we will see rather early on though how much this team misses Bohannon. Chemistry is what I will be looking for and how Fran adjusts to life without JBO. I expect Iowa to beat Cincinnati and Kennesaw State and sit 10-3.

Then the most crucial stretch for me will be the 1st 5 Big Ten games in January.

@PennState
@Nebraska
Maryland
@Northwestern
Michigan
The hardest teams at home and the easier teams on the road. That's both good and bad. Makes it easier to win them all, but at the same time it makes them easier to lose them all.

@PennState
@Nebraska
Maryland
@Northwestern
Michigan
The good news is the team and coaches have most likely known for quite some time that JBO would be shut down this year. So, they have all had time to prepare for it and to rise above it, in terms of substitution and how many minutes each will play and the new roles they will play. It isn't like a surprise injury that knocks a team off its mooring in a minute. And although several players don't relish one of their leaders going down, any player with a competitive nature does relish an opportunity to play more, rather than less, even if it is through an injury.

We'll miss the free throw shooting at the end of the games to salt wins away and the threat to shoot the threes but then our defense will improve so all in all, it will mean a slight decline in effectiveness but we can still make it.

I think Iowa makes it. I would expect them to be in. That said, any injury at this point to the starting 5 is incredibly damaging.

JBo's key contributions this year have been ball handling and free throw shooting late in the game. Who can fill that area? CJ and Connor are both good free throw shooters and decent ball handlers, it will be up to them.

Luka, Joe W, and CJ are the offensive catalysts for this team. That hasn't changed. Connor has shown improvement here and, hopefully, will continue to do so. We need Joe T and BAkari to now step up their games and how well they do could determine much for this team's chances. Kriener and Pemsl can shore up the frontcourt as best they can. Patrick is an X factor but what can we really expect from him? Depth could become more of an issue especially if there is foul trouble.

Yes, this still can be be a tourney team.

200.gif

But, I do think they can be a high seed NIT team this year. This team probably makes a return next year to the Big Dance if they keep all the pieces together and add to it. As it stands, I give them a 30-35% chance this year.

I think they'll make it. Road wins in the B1G appear to be difficult, at least that's what we are seeing early on. I feel like Iowa has done a lot of their damage so far this season on the road or in neutral site games. It feels like they've hardly played at home actually.... this early season start is going to pay out down the road. I am excited to watch it unfold, so far our staff has done a tremendous job putting all the pieces together. I worry about how BE and JT handle it. If they don't handle it so well, you will see Fran being forced to go with Kriener and Cordell more which IMO, wouldn't be the recipe for success, but again, depends on how BE and JT handle the increased work load. If they handle it well, I think we see similar results as to what we've seen so far this year.

Latest posts