Another QB visit this weekend

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qrkqjmCTCo]C.J. Beathard (partial senior highlights) - YouTube[/ame]

Live arm...decent footwork, can throw across his body and a decent nose for the backside rush. He had a good relationship with Nutt and their old OC before changes were made...committed to Ole Miss in early May.

I don't see the reason for another QB. I think the Hawk Defense needs more bodies. What am I missing?

He is more of a pro-style guy. He doesn't really fit Freeze's system. Probably means Hugh got Liggins or Gross to pull the trigger.

I don't see the reason for another QB. I think the Hawk Defense needs more bodies. What am I missing?

The fact that the coaches think they do ;)

As of now, beyond the 2012 season, Iowa will have Rudock and Sokol on scholarship. That's it. That's about two too few.

True, competition for starting positions can't hurt and will only make others better. Like to see another 3-4* DL but that doesn't look great at this point. Maybe Curry will surprise us and become a Hawkeye!

Think of all the high school qb's that succeed at other positions at Iowa. I'm not saying this guy won't play qb at Iowa but you never know.

Yep, word is Freeze has got one of the better dual threat options to come on board.

CJ is way more Vandy than Aplin. Would have a really tough time running the QB draw and the zone read plays. Pretty much just a drop back pro-Style guy. Bad, bad fit for Freeze.

But he is a legit drop back passer. Think of the year Stanzi came on board. JC was the starter. Arvell Nelson was the preferred back-up. Ricky was an afterthought.

Last edited:
Looks like he would be a nice addition. Is he making any other visits? Who else are we competing against (Besides Ole Miss)?

rivals shows that his 'best' two offers are iowa and miss, followed by SMU and Tulane. He committed in May, so not sure if the recruiting of him dropped off, or not. rivals shows two visits - miss and iowa.

rivals shows that his 'best' two offers are iowa and miss, followed by SMU and Tulane. He committed in May, so not sure if the recruiting of him dropped off, or not. rivals shows two visits - miss and iowa.

Again, I am not sure we are competing against Ole Miss anymore. This kid does not fit Freeze's system, which requires a dual threat passer. Freeze has gotten in on a couple of really strong dual threat home area guys.

Pretty sure this is an amicable split. I would say it is between Iowa and some lower tiered schools.

Freeze is pretty good at helping guys find the right fit. I would expect he encouraged the Iowa trip and has made some other contacts. It is to both his and Beathered's benefit to find him a different spot.

A highly touted instate QB, Jeremy Liggins, is scheduled to announce tonight......down to a few including Ole Miss. Perhaps Beathard's decision hinges on Liggins. Looks like they're getting pretty crowded at the QB position as well since Beathard committed in May.

Latest posts