An end to the "he's never been a head coach" argument

KJ22

Some posters don't want Forbes because he's never been a D1 head coach.

All you need to do is look at Frank Martin. His only other heach coaching experience was in the mid-90's as a HIGH SCHOOL head coach in Florida. He'd been an assistant for a long time but was known for being a great recruiter.

I'm not sure, but that seems to be working out quite well for K-State. They've got more talent than they've had in years and they are one win away from the Final Four in only his 3rd year.

Talent is the key to success. Forbes would be the best guy to bring in more talent that we need to succeed.

Last edited:
Serious question -

Was Izzo a HC before taking over at MSU? I don't believe he was, but I could certainly be mistaken. I seem to remember him being an assistant as well.

Serious question -

Was Izzo a HC before taking over at MSU? I don't believe he was, but I could certainly be mistaken. I seem to remember him being an assistant as well.

I don't know about prior, but he was an assistant for Heathcoate, then took over when he retired.

Some posters don't want Forbes because he's never been a D1 head coach.

All you need to do is look at Frank Martin. His only other heach coaching experience was in the mid-90's as a HIGH SCHOOL head coach in Florida. He'd been an assistant for along time but was known for being a great recruiter.

I'm not sure, but that seems to be working out quite well for K-State. They've got more talent than they've had in years and they are one win away from the Final Four in only his 3rd year.

Talent is the key to success. Forbes would be the best guy to bring in more talent that we need to succeed.

has anyone brought it to your attention that he has never been a head coach at the D-1 level?

I did not know that about Izzo. I think Iowa fans would be ok with a record like his.

Just to play devils advocate I'm sure there are numerous examples of assistants who failed on their 1st head coaching try. I'm too lazy to look it up but my guess is that Martin is the exception, rather than the rule

One thing you might consider, however, is that Forbes has been in the position to be able to take over the head spot, or get an offer to move somewhere he could be a head guy and has been passed over.

This is not the case with Martin, or Izzo.

There is also a reason Tony Barbee got his shot at a HC position at the mid-major level and Forbes hasn't.

Guys getting promoted within their current system is one thing. Guys being targeted as young guys on a meteoric rise is another, so are guys that move from one HC position to another higher profile position, finally we see assistants stepping down a level to get HC experience.

It just doesn't normally happen that long term assistants that have no HC experience move into an HC position of lateral competition in which they have no prior experience within the system.

Not saying it wouldn't work. Just saying it would be an extreme rarity.

Just to play devils advocate I'm sure there are numerous examples of assistants who failed on their 1st head coaching try. I'm too lazy to look it up but my guess is that Martin is the exception, rather than the rule

You'd rather just be a hater than actually do research beyond asking your dad if he has heard of Forbes.

Marc addressed this:
Calipari, Pitino, Tubby, Gillespie

Four more exceptions.

exceptions to what? These guys all cut their teeth as HC's at mid-majors before they got major HC jobs.

Name one guy who was a long term assistant that wasn't one the fast track that got a job as a HC of a major league when he wasn't promoted within the system. I have been wracking my brains and I can't come up with one.

Marc addressed this:
Calipari, Pitino, Tubby, Gillespie

Four more exceptions.

My point of the exception would be someone taking over a major program. All 4 of the guys listed above went to a mid major for their 1st stop.

Pitino - Providence
Gillespie - UTEP
Calipari - UMASS
Tubby - Tulsa

How many coaches have taken over a BCS conference job without head coaching experience and been successful? Thats the question

exceptions to what? These guys all cut their teeth as HC's at mid-majors before they got major HC jobs.

Name one guy who was a long term assistant that wasn't one the fast track that got a job as a HC of a major league when he wasn't promoted within the system. I have been wracking my brains and I can't come up with one.

Didnt see your post before i posted mine. I agree with this.

Wooden high-school to Indiana State
Nolan Richardson high-school, juco, Tulsa
Dean Smith, KU assistant to Air Force Baseball/Golf coach to UNC assistant to UNC Head Coach
Roy Williams UNC assistant to KU Head Coach
Geno Auriemma Virginia assistant to UConn Head Coach
Jimmy Valvano, Rutgers player to Johns Hopkins Head Coach
Jim Boeheim Syracuse assistant to Syracuse Head Coach
John Thompson high-school to Georgetown Head Coach
Pete Newell served in the Navy to Head Coach San Francisco (1 NIT championship, 1 NCAA championship and 1gold medal as coach)
Phil Woolpert high-school to Head Coach San Francisco (2 championships)

Last edited:

Latest posts