Always taking the ball first

IDHawk

I like how the Hawks take the ball when they win the coin flip. The reason I like it is because with our defense as good as it's been has the opportunity to open the third quarter with a three and out and giving the O the ball with decent field position. That's how we have been keeping ourselves in most of these games. We play the field position game and it's really been paying off. Our punter has a lot to do with that too. What are your thoughts on winning the flip and taking the ball to start off the game? I just wish we had a kicker that could boot the ball in the end zone.

Last edited:
Didn't the '02 team score on their opening drive almost every game?? I don't remember exactly but I think this is the case. I wish this team could start that as a trend. Think how the D would play with a lead the whole game...

Some could argue that because we have a great defense, we should kick the ball first to get our defense on the field first to force a quick stop. Get the better unit on the field first.
I usually don't care either way on what we do if we win the coin flip, but I've always liked the idea of getting the ball first in the 2nd half.

I think that's from the fact Ferentz was an NFL assistant, and usually (until the last couple years when the NFL Competition Committee allowed deferrals) the winner of the toss took the ball first.

I've seen a stat before that whatever teams scores first wins __% of the time. I cannot remember the stat well enough to recite, but its pretty astonishing. This is just speculation, but could be the reasaon KF always takes the ball first.

I like getting the ball to start the second half. I don't like it when the other team has the chance to score at the end of the first half and again to start the second half. I like Iowa to get the ball first in the third quarter, because if they score that is a big momentum boost.

I like seeing the defense on the field to start the 3rd. After halftime adjustments, seems like they have an advantage and can get a quick 3 and out. Which creates better field position for the offense and everyone has to agree that this offense has been feeding off the defense.

It was a really effective strategy in 2002 when we would take the ball first and with our opening drive scored a high percentage of the time. It really let Iowa set the tone of the game.

Unfortunately since then our offense hasn't been as effective with that opening drive.

Our opponents have scored 1st 4 times this year.

This method also works this year because we start with our strong defense in the second half and if they do their job and stop our opponents drive quickly, we have a chance to get decent field position for our first possession in the second half.

Plus in the first half we have a better chance to take the lead or keep up since we have the ball first, third, fifth, etc. Even if we dont score on our first drive and our opponent does, we can match them on our second drive vs. having our opponent score on their first drive, then we dont score, then they score again and after only having the ball once we could be down 14 already whereas if we start with the ball the worst we can be down after one possession is 7.

It's simple percentages that you should always take the ball first to have a better chance of running more offensive plays/having more possesions...even if your d is your strength the offense has a much better chance of getting points, which how you win

Latest posts