All-McCaffery Team - Who do you have?

Nikehawk - wasn't calling you daft, i just took your quote and ran with it.... it's just like, think about that statement.. .JU wasn't half the player he is now on that team, White either. Them starting on that team or White going to the 4 would have produced similar results or worse cause they weren't fully developed

Gatens/May/Cole/Kelly were Lick recruits, not Fran's, so I dont think any of those guys can go on an "All McCaffery" team. They played for Fran, but they didn't sign on the dotted line while he was in the office. Gatens, for example, only played 2 years with Fran.

1. Cully Payne
2. Ogles-Brick
3. Twitter/ Bar Fight McCabe
4. Kyle Meyer
5. Devon Archie

Friday Funny

I was watching the end of the SMU Houston game hoping for an upset and this big white dude from Houston got a rebound and powered up for a pretty impressive dunk. It ended up being Kyle Meyer.

So you're saying White and Uthoff were the same players their junior and sophomore years as they were their senior years? Jebus people on here are daft or just plain out just didn't watch these teams. That team had a lot of talent but most of it was undeveloped talent with no experience sans Marble and that's what make players great at basketball as much as talent.

You can't help but wonder what that team could have done but I'll go ahead and help you, the exact same cause that's what happened.

You CAN however wonder what that team could have done if MARBLE, WHITE and UTHOFF were all playing like their senior years together on the same team but that's not really how sports work.

So you are saying that lineups do not affect how certain players / teams perform? Why hire a coach then? I agree that all these players were / are better as seniors. I watched every game that year, most of them twice. JU played timid and didn't respond well to Fran's quick trigger on him. I am of the belief that he would have started he would have been a more confident player. Plus with the lack of the 3 point shot AW was a much better 4 man. Inserting JU would have added more 3pt shooting as well which was desperately needed. Would these changes have led to a more successful season? I have no idea, it's a hypothetical, but my opinion based on those points is that they would. Again, just my opinion, didn't think it was all that crazy.

If Jok isn't on it yet he sure will be by this time next yr. Dude is just starting to come into his own. Marble is a no brainer Uthoff, White no brainers. MG will have the stats to deserve it at the end of the day. To me that's my lineup and play small ball... Deciding between Woody and Gabe is tough they bring different things and it's hard to compare the relative value of what they bring. So I'll leave em both off and go small ball.

I'll take Marble, Gatens, Jok, Uthoff and White. Great shooting! Offense around the perimeter and let Marble go to the hole if the shot clock is winding down. If he misses, Whitey and Uthoff will get the board!

On defense, everyone is over 6'6" and a good 2-3 Zone would work. Lots of long arms getting into the passing lanes. All of these guys are/were good rebounders, too. A bit of a "Donut" offense and defense, with no midde, but this team would be successful, IMHO.

This years team as is would beat up any of the previously mentioned.

Marble may be a better player than Clemmons or Gessell but the touches he took away from Jok, Uthoff, Woodbury, Clemmons and company would result in more one and done possessions IMHO. In terms of placing a real team on the floor;

Clemmons
Gesell
Uthoff
Jok
Woodbury

I could be convinced to place White in place of Woodbury possibly.

In terms of accomplishments;

Marble
Gessell
White
Uthoff
Gatens

Marble
Gatens
Uthoff
White
Woody/Olaseni

Can't go wrong with either C. I am content with Marble at the point.

Marble
Gatens
Uthoff
White
Woody/Olaseni

Can't go wrong with either C. I am content with Marble at the point.

Marble at the point? What so we can be entertained with his dribbling skills only the to have him drive and take a shot? :)

Last edited:
This was harder than I thought to decide. I had to make this 1st and 2nd team to work out. What was hardest to decide was to put an extra center or point guard in there. I decided on point.

1st team:
White
Uthoff
Gatens
Marble
Gasell

2nd team:
Woodbury
Cole
May
Jok
Clemmons

What about Jarryd Cole? He played Fran's first year right? He was a pretty good big man. I mean if 8 points and 6 rebounds per game is good.

I would definitely have Cole on the team. He wasn't a star, but he was a solid player and his leadership skills were outstanding. That's definitely something he could bring to a reserve role that would have a lot of value.

If this is limited to Fran's recruits it's a pretty straightforward exercise. Try this again in 5 years and we will see a lot of variety...most likely.

I know it has been a short time for Fran at Iowa, but I couldn't help but think who would be included in an All-McCaffery team at Iowa.
Maybe something to consider would be best team fit/cohesion, leadership, shot facilitation (assists, setting up teammates), defense (shot blocking,steals), and rebounding. Who would make the most effective team (assuming senior year, or best year of production)?

Marble
Jok
Uthoff
White
Olaseni

Would like to fit in Gatens, Woodbury, Basabe, May, Clemmons, Gesell

What say you?

If you look at it as an entire 13 man roster, then all of those that you list, plus: Cole and Baer. Baer is a combination of Street, White and Bowen. If he's your last guy off the bench, then that's okay with me.

My starting lineup:

MG
Marble
Jok
Uthoff
White

G - Mike Gessel // Pure PG, takes care of the ball
SG - Matt Gatens // Pure SG above average defender
SF - Jarod Uthoff // Best all around player Iowa has had possibly ever
F - Aaron White // Scrappy and will get garbage
C - Gabe Olaseni // Pure long athlete, dangerous on the initial break.

Last edited:
PG - Gesell (great pure pg and this year we are finally seeing what he is capable after having the ball taken from him more than he should have earlier in his career, underrated defense)

SG - Gatens (pure shooter and solid defense, played within the flow of the offense and was lights out in his sr campaign under fran)

SF - Uthoff (most skilled, all around basketball player I have ever seen at iowa, wish we could have seen what he would have been in 4 yrs of playing time)

PF - White (athletic garbage man who just played so hard, wish he developed more as a offensive half court threat but with other players on my list it wouldn't be needed)

C - Woodbury (he is a defensive general and does so many little things well, he is the least appreciated hawkeye i have ever seen. I really like how he plays)

This isn't anything against other players this is the grouping I feel would be the best all around grouping of skills for a lineup of 5 from fran's time. In another year I think I would take Gatens off and put Jok in his place but I need more from him 1st. Crazy to say but I would have Marble as my 3rd SG and make him more of a back up to Uthoff.

Latest posts