Alford Era Players

KGHawk88

I just want to throw this out there. I guess as someone that very much enjoyed the Alford era. one of the few that really liked SA, his coaching style, and his philosophy I feel as though the players of his tenure get a bit slighted.

I loved Oliver, Horner, REGGIE, Recker, Chauncey Leslie, and of course Fermino ;). I just think sometimes they get slanted in a negative way. I have no idea why, cause although some people like to forget we had some tremendous games in those years.

I still remember the game Recker first came back from an injury to score like 30 and lead us in overtime against Indiana, or our win against KU, to just name a few. We did win two Big Ten Tournament championships in that time. The first was so unexpected and the second such barn burners. I fondly remember that era, and for some reason it gets slighted.

Am I the only one the thinks this is the case?

I just want to throw this out there. I guess as someone that very much enjoyed the Alford era. one of the few that really liked SA, his coaching style, and his philosophy I feel as though the players of his tenure get a bit slighted.

I loved Oliver, Horner, REGGIE, Recker, Chauncey Leslie, and of course Fermino ;). I just think sometimes they get slanted in a negative way. I have no idea why, cause although some people like to forget we had some tremendous games in those years.

I still remember the game Recker first came back from an injury to score like 30 and lead us in overtime against Indiana, or our win against KU, to just name a few. We did win two Big Ten Tournament championships in that time. The first was so unexpected and the second such barn burners. I fondly remember that era, and for some reason it gets slighted.

While my view on Alford is 180 degrees from yours I can't argue about his players, at least the ones that stayed!

Brunner was one of my all time favorites. I hope that him and many of the others make their way back and are accepted into the program as well.

I do however view Oliver as more of a Davis guy than Alford but that probably is neither here nor there....

I believe Oliver was more of a Tom Davis guy.

I really liked that 05-06 team...the whole crew,Bru,Jeff,Mikey,Erek,Adam,DT...Bru was 1st team all league, Erek was Def.POY,and DT was 6th Man of the Year...and Jeff was 3rd team all-league...and then Adam was 1st team the next year...I will always think fondly of that group.

Then, Reggie,Luke,and Deano gave us some thrills in the BTT in 01 and 02...7 straight BTT wins in a row over two years? Get out...that was nice stuff.

Alford truly was Mr. March. He was nearly unbeatable in November and December, he had a few bad games in January and February, but he never lost big games in March and he never lost to a team Iowa shouldn't lose to. I kind of wish you guys didn't run him off. I actually miss him and his winning ways a lot. As long as we're throwing out great names, how about a little love for Glen Worley?

Alford truly was Mr. March. He was nearly unbeatable in November and December, he had a few bad games in January and February, but he never lost big games in March and he never lost to a team Iowa shouldn't lose to. I kind of wish you guys didn't run him off. I actually miss him and his winning ways a lot. As long as we're throwing out great names, how about a little love for Glen Worley?

That team with Brunner, Horner, Haluska, and everyone was great. I agree that Bru may be one of my favorite Hawks. However, Alford never lost a big game in March? Never lost to a team he shouldn't have lost to? Are we not counting the NCAA tournament? I, for one, don't miss Steve one iota.

As far as the players go, guilty by association because of their coach, I'm afraid. But if there was something positive in the Alford era, it was defined by Horner, Brunner and Haluska. Those guys, to me, were kind of like the Armstrong, Marble and Horton of the Alford era. The big three.

Then there was Doug Thomas' monstrous dunks, Erek Hansen's blocked shots, and his inevitable foul trouble every game thanks to the "phantom foul".

The BTT titles were nice.

Unfortunately, the Alford era also saw several NIT/NCAA first round losses, off the court issues, and general underachivement, with the exception of a couple seasons. The Reiner, Worley, Boyd, Sonderleiter class which was so highly touted, ended up as a massive disappointment.

Overall sub .500 in the Big Ten. Alford's years weren't all THAT bad, but they were a bit of a let down most of the time.

"Masochist: One who derives pleasure from receiving pain."

;) (kidding--I loved the many of the players and some of the highlights on the court, but mostly it was a seven-year void)

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not. If so, well played. If not, Mr. March???? Really????

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not. If so, well played. If not, Mr. March???? Really????

Alford was "Mr. Big Ten Tournament", but didn't do much in the NIT or NCAA's. So kind of a 50/50 proposition on the Mr. March label.

It might be more accurate to say that Alford was Mr. November.

I just feel burned from the Alford Era.

I arrived as a student in the Fall of 94 and like almost everyone at the time, was caught up in the Mr. Davis needs to go - we're tired of just making the NCAA Tourney.

When Alford's hiring was announced, everyone was signing up for Alford's Army. I remember going to pizza partys at CHA, waiting in line for tix at the Field House, etc. We were positive we were going to go to that next level. While we did have some highs, the lows were just like getting punched in the gut. When I left in the Spring of 2002, no one could stand him, the program and many of us were apathetic towards Iowa Basketball. It stunk. Still stinks.

I don't think Lick had much of a chance given the shambles of the program in when Alford high-tailed out of town.

Now, however, I think we're ready to get it back. I'm totally on board with this hire and am looking forward to Midnight Madness 2010.

I just feel burned from the Alford Era.

I arrived as a student in the Fall of 94 and like almost everyone at the time, was caught up in the Mr. Davis needs to go - we're tired of just making the NCAA Tourney.

When Alford's hiring was announced, everyone was signing up for Alford's Army. I remember going to pizza partys at CHA, waiting in line for tix at the Field House, etc. We were positive we were going to go to that next level. While we did have some highs, the lows were just like getting punched in the gut. When I left in the Spring of 2002, no one could stand him, the program and many of us were apathetic towards Iowa Basketball. It stunk. Still stinks.

I don't think Lick had much of a chance given the shambles of the program in when Alford high-tailed out of town.

Now, however, I think we're ready to get it back. I'm totally on board with this hire and am looking forward to Midnight Madness 2010.

Hmm, what a surprise, a guy who took 8 years to graduate from Iowa (clearly without an advanced degree based on his writing style and syntax) is anti-Alford. Color me surprised.

Alford truly was Mr. March. he never lost big games in March and he never lost to a team Iowa shouldn't lose to.

Except for all those pesky little NCAA tournament and NIT tournament games where we were HEAVY favorites. But maybe you don't consider those big games. They are only on a national stage and end our season.

Except for all those pesky little NCAA tournament and NIT tournament games where we were HEAVY favorites. But maybe you don't consider those big games. They are only on a national stage and end our season.

I said "games" which is the plural of game. He lost one big game in March to a very talented NWState team that was destined for an upset that day. One game, pal. If you consider NIT games big, then I fear for the future of our fanbase. We never considered NIT games big until our own fans turned inward on Alford and the team and pushed us down the pecking order in the Big Ten. Hawks love to attack their own for no reason other than they all think we should win a national title every single year in every single sport. See, e.g., Jake Christensen, Ron Christensen, Ken O'Keefe, Steve Alford, Sam Alford, Tonya Alford, Pierre Pierce, John Lickliter and Todd Lickliter. The aforementioned people are a million times better Hawks than all of you (to steal a phrase from Ghost) keyboard commandos ever will be. End o' rant!

We never considered NIT games big until our own fans turned inward on Alford and the team and pushed us down the pecking order in the Big Ten. Hawks love to attack their own for no reason other than they all think we should win a national title every single year in every single sport. See, e.g., Jake Christensen, Ron Christensen, Ken O'Keefe, Steve Alford, Sam Alford, Tonya Alford, Pierre Pierce, John Lickliter and Todd Lickliter. The aforementioned people are a million times better Hawks than all of you (to steal a phrase from Ghost) keyboard commandos ever will be.

Um, ok.

If you don't understand why the fans took issue with the list of names you just mentioned, then I'm not going to tell you, because apparently those people were all the next coming in your eyes.

I'm ready to move on. Done with the whole finger pointing party.

Yes.

They might get "slighted" but I've never heard anyone "slant" them in a "negative way" . . . unless, of course, you call telling the truth about a rapist "slanted in a negative way."

The key to SA tenure is summed with your own words: "we had some tremendous games in those years."

Some tremendous games, yes. But you didn't say, "we had some tremendous years" to go along with those tremendous games.

How many SA era players have given a plug about Coach Caff's hire? Has Recker or Evans given any props or support to the UofI?

Latest posts