After Two Games...

NYCHawkeye74

...it is very easy to get swept up in the rah-rah we are great talk. Maybe the two teams we crushed will be decent, maybe they will be terrible. But I can say a few things that seem to be different than last year so far (two data points could be a trend).

1 - Woody is playing much stronger with the ball and with more confidence. He is showing much improved strength and shooting touch. His rebounds, especially on the defensive end are with an attitude, as well. His shooting form is much improved.

2 - Gabe is playing at a similar level to the end of last year (a good thing), but Woody really has stepped up. A

3 - Clemmons is shooting the ball well and playing solid D. He still makes a real bone-headed ball decision very once in a while, though. He killed us late in games with bad turnovers the past two years. It remains to be seen if that will change, but I like the ability to score more, especially from deep.

4 - White is really playing well, and with good leadership and energy (small sample size on the leadership thing as we haven't faced adversity yet). What I haven't seen is a big step forward in being a go-to guy. He will get his for sure, but he will not be the guy who can break someone down. Its just who he is and we shouldn't expect much more. If he keeps making extra assists that will be a big bonus for the team.

5 - Uhl is a raw athlete is seems. It looks like the game is just too fast for him out there right now. Its understandable given his coming to the USA. We need to get him as many minutes as we can with two bigs leaving next year, though.

6 - Dickerson is a back up PG really. Very inconsistent (again, small sample size). My guess is he will be a Kevin Smith (for you fans from the 1990's) type for us.

7- Utoff has certainly stepped things up a bit thus far, but he is still disappearing a bit at times. If he hits 3's consistently at around 40% that is another he lift.

8 - Gessel has been ok but hasn't really stood out to me either way thus far. Ogelsby hasn't either.

We will learn a lot more shortly.

All in All I think this team looks pretty good. One negative I see is Oglesby's game is in reverse again.

Defensively he has gotten burnt off the dribble a few time in the last few games.

Offensively 3-13 FG
2-8 3pt
Not good against weak teams. I think you will see his minutes decline if he continues.

...it is very easy to get swept up in the rah-rah we are great talk. Maybe the two teams we crushed will be decent, maybe they will be terrible. But I can say a few things that seem to be different than last year so far (two data points could be a trend).

1 - Woody is playing much stronger with the ball and with more confidence. He is showing much improved strength and shooting touch. His rebounds, especially on the defensive end are with an attitude, as well. His shooting form is much improved.

2 - Gabe is playing at a similar level to the end of last year (a good thing), but Woody really has stepped up. A

3 - Clemmons is shooting the ball well and playing solid D. He still makes a real bone-headed ball decision very once in a while, though. He killed us late in games with bad turnovers the past two years. It remains to be seen if that will change, but I like the ability to score more, especially from deep.

4 - White is really playing well, and with good leadership and energy (small sample size on the leadership thing as we haven't faced adversity yet). What I haven't seen is a big step forward in being a go-to guy. He will get his for sure, but he will not be the guy who can break someone down. Its just who he is and we shouldn't expect much more. If he keeps making extra assists that will be a big bonus for the team.

5 - Uhl is a raw athlete is seems. It looks like the game is just too fast for him out there right now. Its understandable given his coming to the USA. We need to get him as many minutes as we can with two bigs leaving next year, though.

6 - Dickerson is a back up PG really. Very inconsistent (again, small sample size). My guess is he will be a Kevin Smith (for you fans from the 1990's) type for us.

7- Utoff has certainly stepped things up a bit thus far, but he is still disappearing a bit at times. If he hits 3's consistently at around 40% that is another he lift.

8 - Gessel has been ok but hasn't really stood out to me either way thus far. Ogelsby hasn't either.

We will learn a lot more shortly.

I was always more of a Mon'ter Glasper guy myself.

I'm disappointed by Jok and Oglesby. In all honestly I thought one of them would be starting. Props to Sapp for taking the job, he's playing very well.

I'm disappointed by Jok and Oglesby. In all honestly I thought one of them would be starting. Props to Sapp for taking the job, he's playing very well.

Why are you disappointed in Oglesby? He's been solid the first two games, not sure why you would have expected him to make a major leap this offseason. He's a valuable player, even if he's not hitting his shots, defenses respect him and he spaces the floor. He's also an average, at worst, defensive player who doesn't make many dumb mistakes.

Why are you disappointed in Oglesby? He's been solid the first two games, not sure why you would have expected him to make a major leap this offseason. He's a valuable player, even if he's not hitting his shots, defenses respect him and he spaces the floor. He's also an average, at worst, defensive player who doesn't make many dumb mistakes.
He has been burnt a least twice off the dribble the past two games. His foot work is very slow one on one. I'm not sure why people think his defenses is "average at worst"

I like the ball movement through two games. Smart shots have been taken for the most part as well.

I really think this will be a better TEAM then last year. Maybe the record won't be the same, but I think overall they will play better together.

I also don't see a collapse like last season. That still ticks me off to this day but I like what I see so far even though it's been two games.

After this weekend we'll know a lot more about where this team is at but I like what I see.

He has been burnt a least twice off the dribble the past two games. His foot work is very slow one on one. I'm not sure why people think his defenses is "average at worst"

Probably because it is, he doesn't miss rotations, he's almost always in the right spot, he has very active hands and tries to get out in the passing lane a lot. He's not the quickest guy so he may get beat once in a while off the dribble, but overall his defense rarely hurts the team.

Oglesby shooting guard steals going into his senior year 29
Gatens shooting guard steals going after his freshman year 26 Career total 141

Oglesby= slow foot work

After watching some of the UNI game this morning, I think they are better than us at least at this point in the year.

I'm not too worried at this point. A big chunk of each game was given to the younger and bench players to get experience under their belt. Fran is letting them go out, make mistakes, and learn from them.

In the first game, the 2nd unit came in and struggled for 6 or 7 minutes. Fran didn't panic or go crazy because it was what he was expecting. When the 1st team came in, we blew them out of the water. In the 2nd half, the same group came in and played much, much better.

Much is made of Fran's outbursts and, in some people's eyes, questionable lineups and personnel decisions. But when you think about, he hasn't been able to tinker as much and give the bench players teaching moments. A lot of it was learning on the fly.

With Texas and Syracuse/California this week, I would expect heavy minutes for the main core of players and for White to be crashing the boards like a mad man. I also think that either Jok or Oglesby to hit some big shots Thursday night. It's going to be a great weekend for Hawkeye sports. I can't wait.

Probably because it is, he doesn't miss rotations, he's almost always in the right spot, he has very active hands and tries to get out in the passing lane a lot. He's not the quickest guy so he may get beat once in a while off the dribble, but overall his defense rarely hurts the team.

Now he is .231 3pt
and .211 FG

3rd most shots on the team and worst percentages

But he is always in the right spot on D and very active hands!

All in All I think this team looks pretty good. One negative I see is Oglesby's game is in reverse again.

Defensively he has gotten burnt off the dribble a few time in the last few games.

Offensively 3-13 FG
2-8 3pt
Not good against weak teams. I think you will see his minutes decline if he continues.

Yeah Clemmons and Gesell and Jok are sure looking good.

Gesell 1/8 2 pts 2 TO's
Clemmons 1/7 4 pts 3 TO's
Jok 1/3 2 pts 1 TO

Why bother playing JO when we have studs like that available to take his minutes?

Yeah Clemmons and Gesell and Jok are sure looking good.

Gesell 1/8 2 pts 2 TO's
Clemmons 1/7 4 pts 3 TO's
Jok 1/3 2 pts 1 TO

Why bother playing JO when we have studs like that available to take his minutes?

Take a look at the season stats. Not just one game. JO is back to his Freshman and Sophomore self.

Latest posts