Advantage against PSU?

The game this week is huge for the big ten race. If we can get to 3-0, I feel that we have a legitimate shot to win our half. We all agree that the passing offense still has issues. Hopefully it was the weather holding back improvement from the bye week.

I feel that we have an advantage over PSU and their offense this week, though. With Brian and Bill O'Brien on the same staff in New England, I'm sure Ferentz has an idea of the concepts and tendencies that BOB will like to use. This could be huge for our defense this week!

Go Hawks! Keep it rolling!

We've played better against pro style quarterbacks like McGloin. The PSU running game isn't elite. Iowa should be able to try and get pressure with the front 4 and let our safeties be ball hawks. Should be a pretty typical bend but don't break game plan of defense. Our offense will have to put up some points, which I think they will. Should be better weather at home under the lights. We need a healthy dose of a (healthy) Weisman. Our advantage is our running game and o line. However, this game does look tougher than it did in week 1.

Our advantage is that it's at Kinnick and who they prepare for may not be starting at RB. I really hope our passing game gets going.

Again I expect this to be a close game and our biggest advantage is Special Teams and Mike Meyer. Ficken is 3/9 and they are ranked 111th. Meyer is 14/15 and is ranked 4th. We are looking at 93% vs. 33% in FGs. Pretty even on punting.

Special teams are going to be huge. I think we may see a blocked kick or punt, maybe a muffed return. The defense will have to play very good and field position is going to be a huge factor.

PSU has scored more than 20 TDs this year, to Iowa's 12 but they haven't been up against a defense like ours. Bend don't break favors Iowa if we can keep them out of the endzone.

The way the Oline has been playing should help mitigate the lack of MW should he not be available. If we need a powerback there is Brad Rogers but I expect that if Garmon is a little more patient he will be productive. I remember him at the 2nd Fall practice running behind the line and waiting for a crease to open. If he can do that Saturday then we should be OK.

I love the matchup of our defense against their offense. They have little running game, and McGloin is a mediocre QB on his best days. It would also be kind to call their kicker inaccurate. If JVB can have a good game I think we win this one comfortably. That is asking a lot, though.

BoB's offense is fun to watch, even with McGloin running the show they have looked light years ahead of us. Without Weisman or Bullock, we better hope for some Defensive TD's and lots of PSU turnovers.

I will be the FIRST to admit that, after the CM SLAPPING, I was ready to throw in the towel! So it is NICE to see Iowa actually SHOW UP and play like we know they can... HOWEVER! (You knew this was coming...) Lets not start reserving our ROSE BOWL TICKETS just yet...... We have several VERY good teams to play and with our boys doing their best Jekyll and Hyde impression we need to let the season play out before we go California dreaming...
th

Vegas line is Iowa -3 and they usually set favorable numbers for the hawks. It is going to be a tough game where Iowa cannot have any penalties/turnovers to have a shot. An inexperienced RB is not going to help but it is definitely a winnable game as long as they don't beat themselves. The D should be able to shut down the lions. Iowa > Virginia and Ohio...

The game this week is huge for the big ten race. If we can get to 3-0, I feel that we have a legitimate shot to win our half. We all agree that the passing offense still has issues. Hopefully it was the weather holding back improvement from the bye week.

I feel that we have an advantage over PSU and their offense this week, though. With Brian and Bill O'Brien on the same staff in New England, I'm sure Ferentz has an idea of the concepts and tendencies that BOB will like to use. This could be huge for our defense this week!

This is funny because its obvious Kirk has never and never will coach a game based on the team he is playing. He coaches every game the same like he is facing no team with individual strengths and weaknesses. PSU could have a a CB in a wheel chair and the Hawks O would throw that way maybe 2 times the whole game. Hawks have no advantage over anyone until we get a coach who coaches against the team he is playing that week instead of a chart.

I am having a really hard time imaging how we win without Weisman. How are we going to score?

Latest posts