About Sparty 2024

NCHawker

From what I gather, they have a very talented QB and WR corps. However their very undiciplined and inconsistent. The descriptions remind me of some of Scott Frost's teams at Nebraska. Pentalties, Turnovers....

They''ve got dudes on the D-lline but their LBs are not so good. Some say in the 2nd half the hawks will eat.

feel free to leave a score predictioni.

Here's my thoughts from a stats perspective. My thoughts are worth exactly $0.00 btw.

1) I usually look for areas that are very lopsided between two teams. Rushing offense and rushing defense are both VERY lopsided in our favor.

Iowa is 13th in the country in rushing with 223 YPG and 14 TDs...MSU is 59th in rushing defense giving up 131 and 7 TDs. At this point in the season it's worth noting they also haven't faced an opponent with anywhere near Iowa's rushing attack. Not even close. This makes it even more lopsided than it is on paper.

Iowa is 17th in the country in rushing defense at 96 YPG allowed with only 1 rushing TD allowed. MSU rushing offense is 101st in the nation only averaging 120 YPG and 7 TDs on the year.

We need to run the ball down their throat early and often. This is IMO the most exploitable phase of the game, but MSU knows it and is going to stack that box like crazy. OL needs to be on their A-game.

2) Turnover margin...if you follow football whatsoever you know that the single most reliable statistic in the entire game is turnover margin. It's been academically studied and there's no other statistic that even comes close to being as correlated with win probablity. Iowa is currently at +1, MSU is way down the list at -1 average. For the non rocket scientists out there that's a net difference in Iowa's favor of +2. That's absolutely huge. If you look at the NCAA stats website you'll see there are very, very few matchups in D1AA football where two teams have a MGN of 2 TOs between them. We need to force fumbles and intercept some passes, and keep from doing the same. Iowa has turned the ball over 5 times this year total compared with MSU's 14 times. Can't stress enough that we need to hold onto the ball and force MSU to make mistakes throwing it because they won't be pounding the ground.

3) Kicking...we also know that in a close game, which this could be (night game on the road, MSU has nothing to lose), a field goal or two could be the difference. MSU's kicker is flat out good and a 5th year senior. He's not going to choke or get iced. He's 10/10 and here are his yardages...

He can put a 50 yarder through no problem, so the Iowa D has to keep MSU outside 35 yards at all costs. Especially because to this point we're terrible against red zone passes and give out TD throws like they're candy.

MSU is going to come right out of the gate throwing the ball and testing our secondary. If they play like the ISU game I think this game is over. If they play solid, I don't think there's a high probability that we lose.

They've played OSU and Oregon. I think this is worth taking into consideration. Last time I check they both that pretty good running offenses.

They've played OSU and Oregon. I think this is worth taking into consideration. Last time I check they both that pretty good running offenses.
I forgot about OSU, but Oregon isn't a great rushing team. They do everything from the air...

OSU also has a lot fewer rushing attempts and yards than Iowa. Same thing as Oregon, they do a lot of their damage with the pass.

1729177935573.png

Here's my thoughts from a stats perspective. My thoughts are worth exactly $0.00 btw.

1) I usually look for areas that are very lopsided between two teams. Rushing offense and rushing defense are both VERY lopsided in our favor.

Iowa is 13th in the country in rushing with 223 YPG and 14 TDs...MSU is 59th in rushing defense giving up 131 and 7 TDs. At this point in the season it's worth noting they also haven't faced an opponent with anywhere near Iowa's rushing attack. Not even close. This makes it even more lopsided than it is on paper.

Iowa is 17th in the country in rushing defense at 96 YPG allowed with only 1 rushing TD allowed. MSU rushing offense is 101st in the nation only averaging 120 YPG and 7 TDs on the year.

We need to run the ball down their throat early and often. This is IMO the most exploitable phase of the game, but MSU knows it and is going to stack that box like crazy. OL needs to be on their A-game.

2) Turnover margin...if you follow football whatsoever you know that the single most reliable statistic in the entire game is turnover margin. It's been academically studied and there's no other statistic that even comes close to being as correlated with win probablity. Iowa is currently at +1, MSU is way down the list at -1 average. For the non rocket scientists out there that's a net difference in Iowa's favor of +2. That's absolutely huge. If you look at the NCAA stats website you'll see there are very, very few matchups in D1AA football where two teams have a MGN of 2 TOs between them. We need to force fumbles and intercept some passes, and keep from doing the same. Iowa has turned the ball over 5 times this year total compared with MSU's 14 times. Can't stress enough that we need to hold onto the ball and force MSU to make mistakes throwing it because they won't be pounding the ground.

3) Kicking...we also know that in a close game, which this could be (night game on the road, MSU has nothing to lose), a field goal or two could be the difference. MSU's kicker is flat out good and a 5th year senior. He's not going to choke or get iced. He's 10/10 and here are his yardages...

He can put a 50 yarder through no problem, so the Iowa D has to keep MSU outside 35 yards at all costs. Especially because to this point we are terrible against red zone passes and we give out red zone TD passes like they're candy.

MSU is going to come right out of the gate throwing the ball and testing our secondary. If they play like the ISU game I think this game is over. If they play solid, I don't think there's a high probability that we lose.
Sparty's punter is good too. Iowa will go from facing the worst kicking team in the BTen (Wash.) to one of the best. Unlike last week, the Hawks are going to have to earn all their yards the old-fashioned way -- on offense. Similar with the OLine...the Husky DLine was undersized and got pushed around last Sat. MSU's DLinemen are big, strong, athletic dudes. Add into the mix that Sparty had a bye week to prepare and practice against Iowa's run game, and that Iowa's WRs don't scare anybody...I expect a loaded box and plenty of press coverage. Will likely need a couple INTs to get this win.

I duno Fry, I saw Oregon punch some nice holes in that OSU D-line. Better thatn we did. It surprised me
All I'm saying is they haven't faced a good team that runs first like we do. And they certainly haven't faced a back like Johnson.

All I'm saying is they haven't faced a good team that runs first like we do. And they certainly haven't faced a back like Johnson.
Those two backs for OSU were pretty F'ing good. But, when you have a QB with a strong arm and three NFL 1st rounders in your WR room, its hard to ground and pound all day.

Those two backs for OSU were pretty F'ing good. But, when you have a QB with a strong arm and three NFL 1st rounders in your WR room, its hard to ground and pound all day.
Right. They play a whole different type of football. It's pretty clear that if you have the athletes, passing is the most effective way to move the ball. If OSU or Oregon decided to pound the ball they could. But they don't, which is why MSU hasn't seen yet what we'll (hopefully) be bringing Saturday night.

Latest posts