AAU Member Universities Least Likely to be Football NC

eyekwah

The BCS generates a lot of interest and has universities scrambling to be members of a conference that can generate TV money. If you a fan of a university that is a member of the American Association of Universities you less likely to win the BCS title of football national champion.

There are 36 AAU universities playing FBS football. In the last 25 years only 8 current or former AAU member universities have won or been voted national champs:
Florida (3)
Michigan (1)
Ohio State (1)
Texas (1)
So Cal (2) 1 vacated
Colorado (1)
Washington (1)
Nebraska (2) No longer AAU member

In the last 10 years the chances have further decreased.

There is a correlation between conferences with few AAU members and the chance of a member being national champion, it is better.

The Big Ten has 11 AAU members and only two National Champions in the past 25 years (Nebraska is not counted).

The SEC has had two AAU members (will change with A&M, MO joining) and has had nine national champs in the past 25 years.

The ACC has five (soon six with Pitt) but only two National Champions. Miami's titles were won as an independent.

The PAC 12 now has 8 AAU members, but has had 3 titles, two by USC and one by Washington.

The Big 12/8 had up to five AAU members and mustered five national champions. With Colorado and Nebraska leaving Texas won one and Oklahoma won one.

I can see why Delaney and Scott are cementing a relationship after seeing the correlation between the characteristic of the members of the two conferences and protecting the Rose Bowl.

Nebraska (3) 94, 95, 97. No longer AAU member
fify

In the last 10 years the chances have further decreased.

There is a correlation between conferences with few AAU members and the chance of a member being national champion, it is better.
I think that the reasons for that are a little different. The location of the talent and the SEC, their less than decent treatment of recruits and oversigning, and their less stringent entrance qualifications are big reasons.

I can see why Delaney and Scott are cementing a relationship after seeing the correlation between the characteristic of the members of the two conferences and protecting the Rose Bowl.
Meh. The Rose Bowl is a nice consolation prize, but its no better (and historically less important-at least since the 70's) than the Orange, Sugar, or Fiesta Bowls. I like the bowls, but the Bowl Alliance/BCS, etc. kind of ruined the importance of all bowls, while hopefully delivering a matchup of 1 v. 2.

fify

I think that the reasons for that are a little different. The location of the talent and the SEC, their less than decent treatment of recruits and oversigning, and their less stringent entrance qualifications are big reasons.

Meh. The Rose Bowl is a nice consolation prize, but its no better (and historically less important-at least since the 70's) than the Orange, Sugar, or Fiesta Bowls. I like the bowls, but the Bowl Alliance/BCS, etc. kind of ruined the importance of all bowls, while hopefully delivering a matchup of 1 v. 2.

Right, like UNL.

Ok, so are you disagreeing with anything I said, or are you just trying be an azz?

Simply stating facts.

Holding UNL up as an example of an AAU institution who won NCs despite their AAU designation is problematic because what won those NCs was partial qualifiers.

It's part of the reason that another NC in Lincoln is unlikely.

Simply stating facts.

Holding UNL up as an example of an AAU institution who won NCs despite their AAU designation is problematic because what won those NCs was partial qualifiers.

It's part of the reason that another NC in Lincoln is unlikely.
Ok, I must have misunderstood, my apologies. That is partially true. Partial qualifiers did play a part in those teams, no question. But now, with the Big 12 and now B1G entrance rules, it puts any of these teams behind the SEC when it comes to getting kids in with questionable academics.