AAU COACH: I Took Money to Steer Mclemore

Who will be more ecstatic? Clown fans or Illini fans.

I bet Doublewide has a permanent erection right now.

This guy

iowa-state-fan-kansas-basketball-2013-570x366.jpg

Honestly I don't see the big deal from the KU perspective. Shady AAU coach took money to try and steer him away from returning to KU. Why would they want that at all?

Classic.... No surprise there. It is a pretty dirty messy buisness that's for sure. Wish there was a way to prevent some of this crap but smarter men then I haven't succeeded.

Classic.... No surprise there. It is a pretty dirty messy buisness that's for sure. Wish there was a way to prevent some of this crap but smarter men then I haven't succeeded.

Seriously. This guy was a middle man for the middle men. And (presumably) he never contacted the player at all. It would be monumentally difficult if not impossible to stop this type of thing. The NCAA would literally have to constantly police entire families and extended families. And even if they suspected something like this good luck proving it. If the NCAA ever came knocking the coach is suddenly just a "consultant" on a project they were considering.

Seriously. This guy was a middle man for the middle men. And (presumably) he never contacted the player at all. It would be monumentally difficult if not impossible to stop this type of thing. The NCAA would literally have to constantly police entire families and extended families. And even if they suspected something like this good luck proving it. If the NCAA ever came knocking the coach is suddenly just a "consultant" on a project they were considering.

This is where the NBA needs to step in and punish or ban financial advisers or agents from doing business with the NBA.

They should just make a college sports sponsored club teams and just be done with the student athelete myth.

Except that it's not a myth for 98% of them. Oh, sure, it may be for the elite basketball and football players, but it's not for the swimmers, divers, gymnasts, track athletes, wrestlers, rowers, lacrosse players, etc...

We as fans and spectators may not see or really care about most of those teams, but many of those players rely on their scholarships to get an education and a degree. They're not looking at or thinking about using college as a jumping off point to a professional athletic career.

Where things get muddied is the runners for agents along with school boosters. More often times than not coaches are not directly involved with money situations. The biggest issue with coaches are when they hire AAU coaches or player's relatives and what not. The behind the scenes things that go on are 99% opaque to the public eye. It usually takes someone getting the raw end of a deal gone wrong to blow the whistle. In this case the school really didn't have anything to do with the issue other than he was attending KU when this was going down... Guilt by association to a degree but it is tough to penalize the school for these types of issues. It puts a lot of pressure on the NCAA which we all know is a poorly run outfit to begin with. They are under resourced and can't keep up with all the shady business in today's college sports.

Except that it's not a myth for 98% of them. Oh, sure, it may be for the elite basketball and football players, but it's not for the swimmers, divers, gymnasts, track athletes, wrestlers, rowers, lacrosse players, etc...

We as fans and spectators may not see or really care about most of those teams, but many of those players rely on their scholarships to get an education and a degree. They're not looking at or thinking about using college as a jumping off point to a professional athletic career.

They may not have a professional future in their respective sports, but there are many non-revenue sport athletes who feel like school comes second, too. The time they have to put in is insane, even outside of practices.

They may not have a professional future in their respective sports, but there are many non-revenue sport athletes who feel like school comes second, too. The time they have to put in is insane, even outside of practices.
Welcome to life. If you work full-time and have kids then its no different. And athletes can quit at any point.

Welcome to life. If you work full-time and have kids then its no different. And athletes can quit at any point.

I wasn't making any point other than that it's not just a myth for the top 2%. That's just a very narrow view of the situation.

I wasn't making any point other than that it's not just a myth for the top 2%. That's just a very narrow view of the situation.

I suppose that depends on your view of what constitutes it being a "myth". In my opinion that applies to scenarios in which the individual attends school with no intention of obtaining an education but only as a means to a higher level athletic career. Those who fall into that category are in the small minority. Certainly there are student athletes who prioritize the "athlete" part. That doesn't mean that they don't take their education seriously; nor does it make the notion of being both student and athlete a myth.

Last edited:

Latest posts