Aaron White

MisterLucky

I see Mr. White made the Third team All-State roster in Ohio. Pretty nice get for Coach McCaffery. There were some articles that I saw that had him in the running for Ohio POY.

I see Mr. White made the Third team All-State roster in Ohio. Pretty nice get for Coach McCaffery. There were some articles that I saw that had him in the running for Ohio POY.

I know what some are thinking on this board after this post. "You mean he wasn't on the first two AS teams? Great, another white guy who can't play".

Personally, I can't wait to see this kid play.

Like I said, I think a lot of people in Ohio that follow prep sports thought a lot more of Aaron than putting him on the third team. But even so, when you consider how many kids there are in Ohio that play basketball, even being on the third team is pretty special. Can't wait to see him in a Hawkeye uniform.

he would be on 1st or 2nd team if he were not coming to IOWA.

Well that isn't true. The kid going to Mich St was the gatorade player of the year in Ohio so I don't think they give out awards just because of the kids staying in state.

Well that isn't true. The kid going to Mich St was the gatorade player of the year in Ohio so I don't think they give out awards just because of the kids staying in state.

I don't think you get what he's saying... in fact it kind of proves his point. It's because Mich St > Iowa in basketball.

All-State awards are overrated for the most part...too much is taken into account of how that player's team did, just like All-America and MVP awards.
Yes, there are kids that truly deserve it, but if a kid gets stuck in a situation where that player is great, but on an average team that can't beat a top team in the state, then the kid is penalized by not earning what they probably deserve.
I don't know how far Aaron's team went this year, but if it wasn't far and the All-State reps didn't see him play firsthand, then it is held against him.
Being a high school level coach, making All-State tapes for kids and then watching in person kids that were awarded higher honors and looking back that their team went further is a sham.
The kicker is to see an All-State player that is on 1st team when their team was knocked out early, but their coach is on the All-State board...hmmm.
Lets just say I don't take much stock into All-State teams unless I have saw that kid play in person. It is funny to see a kid going to a high major and is a 4 or 5 star prospect make second team all-state.

Last edited:
I know what some are thinking on this board after this post. "You mean he wasn't on the first two AS teams? Great, another white guy who can't play".

Personally, I can't wait to see this kid play.

I wasn't thinking that, but I was wondering how a kid that was, from mulitple accounts, up for POY ends up on 3rd team. Especially given his performances late in the year.

I wasn't thinking that, but I was wondering how a kid that was, from mulitple accounts, up for POY ends up on 3rd team. Especially given his performances late in the year.

I ask you this, how is Derrick Nix Mr. Basketball in the state of Michigan and can't break the starting lineup for MSU, don't play the conditioning card either he has had the time to fix it, when watching him in high school he didn't get accross half court a lot of the time?
Then you see a guy like Chris Douglass-Roberts be a second team all-state player in Michigan and he is in the NBA, somewhere Nix will not see unless he is reborn.
The POY talk for White was probably legit, but if the right people don't see him, then he ends up third team.

Like Kakert said last fall , IOWA was recruiting a 3 star m state or Mich started recruiting this player he jumped to a 4 star.

Aaron played at a high level all year. I also read that he played against some of the players that finished higher than he did, one being the kid named POY and clearly outplayed him, not once, but twice. This was an odd year because the Ohio POY almost always winds up at Ohio St., but this year Matta concentrated on out of state kids. The kid named POY is actually committed to Penn St this year. I don't know the explanation for why Aaron was only named to the 3rd team, but I am very glad we are getting him.

Aaron played at a high level all year. I also read that he played against some of the players that finished higher than he did, one being the kid named POY and clearly outplayed him, not once, but twice. This was an odd year because the Ohio POY almost always winds up at Ohio St., but this year Matta concentrated on out of state kids. The kid named POY is actually committed to Penn St this year. I don't know the explanation for why Aaron was only named to the 3rd team, but I am very glad we are getting him.

There are so many high school players in Ohio,just being recognized is an honor for Aaron. Clearly,there were not Lebron type players in Ohio this year,but a lot of good players. If they were super recruits,Matta would have grabbed them,as his current team is full of Ohioans...no knock on Aaron or the other guys who are going to PSU,MSU,and Michigan. Matta only goes for top 50 guys,it seems.

Honestly,these all state teams are so arbitrary,I put nothing into it.
Again,unless you are a superstar,like Lebron,or Sully, the POY could be any of a dozen guys. Jimmy Jackson's son,who is Wis,bound,did not make a team at all. I do not give a crap about HS honors,I care about college honors...if Aaron makes all big ten,then I will live with him missing on all state.

High school basketball is down in the state of Ohio. There is no one in this year's class or next year's class that Ohio State is recruiting.

It doesn't mean that there are no quality players in Ohio. Izzo, as usual, signed an Ohio player. A point guard from Huber Heights Wayne. Michigan signed point guard Trey Burke, a teammate of Jared Sullinger at Northland. However, there are no players with the talent of Buford, Craft, Lighty, Lauderdale, Sullinger, etc.

Florida State, Penn State, Providence, Wisconsin & West Virginia also signed Ohio players. So, there are quality players in Ohio. There just aren't any Ohio State quality players.

Next year Michigan State & Purdue already have commitments from Ohio players. However, Ohio State has not offered any Ohio players for next year.

Like Kakert said last fall , IOWA was recruiting a 3 star m state or Mich started recruiting this player he jumped to a 4 star.

Yikes, a Kakert reference. Not sure he has scooped anything other than ice cream in his life.

3rd team in Iowa scary. 3rd team in Ohio respectable given the depth of talent in that state. I think he will be a nice player in McCaffrey's system.

Latest posts