a lot of people are ignoring the elephant in the room

mrolympia

if that Indiana WR is able to catch that WIDE OPEN pass in the endzone, Iowa loses.

This team really better get it's (feces) together. The "nation's best defensive line" is a complete joke.........much like "big game" bob stoops. Zero pressure on Chappell all day, it's not like Iowa had to worry about him taking off and running the ball. Pathetic effort by everybody today except Coker.

if that Indiana WR is able to catch that WIDE OPEN pass in the endzone, Iowa loses.

This team really better get it's (feces) together. The "nation's best defensive line" is a complete joke.........much like "big game" bob stoops. Zero pressure on Chappell all day, it's not like Iowa had to worry about him taking off and running the ball. Pathetic effort by everybody today except Coker.

and IF Iowa stops the fake punt against WI we win....you could make this type of statement in just about every game. The hypothetical scenario is worthless...

IF Gordon Heywards shot is a cm more to the left...Butler beats Duke in greatest bball upset of all time!

^I can do it too

and IF Iowa stops the fake punt against WI we win....you could make this type of statement in just about every game. The hypothetical scenario is worthless...

The end result doesn't change the problem. On Indiana's last 4 plays, their receivers dropped 3 passes. They were wide open each time. And they were wide open most of the game.

Agreed, but our d-line had a tough day, they got the ball out quick. They still held the offense to only 13 points.

If Iowa had scored TD's on just two of their 4 redzones its immaterial...ifs all over....its football The defense is fine.

I agree that while the DL hasn't gotten pressure as we'd have hoped, they have been dealing with more attention. As such, teams are doing more to block our DL, and settling for quick, short passes.

Later in the game, we did get pressure, but it was often just a bit late.

I see Captain Hindsight has rushed in to save this thread.

I hope South Park brings back Captain Hindsight for a sports-themed episode. It's even more appropriate for sports than politics, I think.

And to the OP: who's "ignoring" what you're talking about? I think everyone on the board is pretty aware Iowa got a good break at the end. What are we supposed to do about it? Call up Jim Delaney and ask him to give the win back to Indiana?

In my mind we lost one we should have won with Wisconsin and now we won one we should have lost. Our record is what it should be.

You can't get great pressure on a QB like Chappel with Indiana's scheme. They run a shotgun, no drop, timing pass offense. Chappel is a veteran QB who is very accurate, gets the ball out quick and on-time, and they don't really throw down-field.

Wow....even HawkeyeRyno thinks you need to lighten up.

If Iowa had scored TD's on just two of their 4 redzones its immaterial...ifs all over....its football The defense is fine.

They're 1-4 (IMO) in stopping the opponent in the clutch this year. Indiana stopped themselves today. Arizona? No stop. Wisconsin? No stop. Michigan we got the stop, eventually.

That doesn't equate to "fine", in my eyes. You can tell me all the stats til the sun don't come up. Denver had very good defenses statistically earlier this decade, but it failed them when they really needed it to step up, and they lost games. Stats aren't everything.

If Iowa had made the missed field goal it would not have mattered...but they did not nor did Indiana catch the ball...we can what if all day long. The Hawks won and now they have to regroup for next week.

Imagine how you would feel if you were an Indiana fan? Not just that last drive, all day they came up "this close" to having big plays. Way more "ifs" for them. Our D did good when it had to (most the game), but our Offense in the IH-Case red-zone...UGLY!

We needed a defensive stop at the end against Arizona - didn't get it.
We needed a defensive stop at the end against Wisconsin - didn't get it.
We needed a defensive stop at the end against Indiana - didn't get it.

It's not the defense so much as the defensive philosophy. The plan is to let out the line with low drag until the offense makes a mistake. We were just lucky this week that the mistake was on 4th down in the endzone.

If the elephant brought a trunk full of beer to the room, he's welcome to stay.

Latest posts