A great new Hawk football book

papathawki

A week ago my wife came in from our library and handed me a book I hadn't heard of. It's: "What It Means To Be A Hawkeye, Kirk Ferentz And Iowa's Greatest Players". Mostly compiled I think by three collaborators, Hammes, Maxwell, and Rosendaal. In this book more than 50 of the biggest names from 8 decades of Iowa football share--in their own words--their Hawkeye gridiron memories. I've never read a historical book that revived so many personal memories. From the Howard Jones' first big 10 titles in the 1920s (my Mom and Dad knew him personally along with 20s' stars Aubrey Devine and Duke Slater) and told me stories of their friendships. I met Nile Kinnick when I was 12 years old and remember the conversation as if it took place yesterday. Memories jogged by this book seem almost like 911. Where you were & what you were doing when you saw it. Think I've rambled on long enough. Read it!! You will love it.

I actually saw this when I was at the library on campus the other day didn't really read it but i looked through it and it was cool to see all the " old timers " that i wasn't as familiar with.

I actually saw this when I was at the library on campus the other day didn't really read it but i looked through it and it was cool to see all the " old timers " that i wasn't as familiar with.

Thank you for not listing any names...I'd hate to know that "Merton Hanks" or "Tavian Banks" are old timers to some of you pups...:eek:

Thank you for not listing any names...I'd hate to know that "Merton Hanks" or "Tavian Banks" are old timers to some of you pups...:eek:

LOL no kidding and I am only in my 30's. I think the book actually came out last year, very cool idea to have so many former players each contribute a chapter to the book.

LOL no kidding and I am only in my 30's. I think the book actually came out last year, very cool idea to have so many former players each contribute a chapter to the book.

Enjoy them, Hoffa...the 30s freaking fly by and the next thing you know you're halfway to 80!

Enjoy them, Hoffa...the 30s freaking fly by and the next thing you know you're halfway to 80!

You are in your 40s?!? Wow you really are an old fart. I don't turn 40 until August so I have another 4 months to make fun of you. :D

It does look like a good book, I might have to add it to my personal collection.

A week ago my wife came in from our library and handed me a book I hadn't heard of. It's: "What It Means To Be A Hawkeye, Kirk Ferentz And Iowa's Greatest Players". Mostly compiled I think by three collaborators, Hammes, Maxwell, and Rosendaal. In this book more than 50 of the biggest names from 8 decades of Iowa football share--in their own words--their Hawkeye gridiron memories. I've never read a historical book that revived so many personal memories. From the Howard Jones' first big 10 titles in the 1920s (my Mom and Dad knew him personally along with 20s' stars Aubrey Devine and Duke Slater) and told me stories of their friendships. I met Nile Kinnick when I was 12 years old and remember the conversation as if it took place yesterday. Memories jogged by this book seem almost like 911. Where you were & what you were doing when you saw it. Think I've rambled on long enough. Read it!! You will love it.

This thread makes me very happy! :) Glad you liked it, papa and spud!

True old-timers like Jack Dittmer, Jerry Hilgenberg, Ken Ploen, and Randy Duncan really do paint an interesting picture of what Hawkeye football was like in the '40s and '50s. It's a good cross-section of players from across the decades, and their personal stories truly carry the book.

Latest posts