A fun look at B1G FB helmets throughout the years

Love and respect all the pre-Tigerhawk helmets, but the Tigerhawk should never be replaced by anything else. There is not a more instantly recognizable logo in all of college sports even to non-sports fans.
I do Miles and miles of road trips every year all across the USA. I have Hawk magnets on my Pilot, and often wear Iowa gear. My license plate is CLRHAWK. You would be stunned at the number of people who engage me in Hawk talk! Great fun!

I do Miles and miles of road trips every year all across the USA. I have Hawk magnets on my Pilot, and often wear Iowa gear. My license plate is CLRHAWK. You would be stunned at the number of people who engage me in Hawk talk! Great fun!
True story: I was stationed in Sigonella Sicily 93-96. Took a trip (one of many) to Rome in 95, spring time.

Was wearing TigerHawk Iowa gear (hat and shirt (I know, dumb advertising I was an American, but I digress))...strolling around inside the Collesium when I heard a "go hawks!"

There was a tour group from Iowa in the same area and of course they recognized the Iowa logos. A few bro-hugs later and all was good.

Fun stuff.

I also want to point out as support for my opinion that teams should never change helmets, if you look at that page, you'll notice that there's a direct correlation between the number of helmets a given team has debuted and how shitty the team has been historically, with the exception of Michigan State and nebraska. nebraskans are too stupid and uncreative to put new helmets out so they can get thrown out of the data.

I also want to point out as support for my opinion that teams should never change helmets, if you look at that page, you'll notice that there's a direct correlation between the number of helmets a given team has debuted and how shitty the team has been historically, with the exception of Michigan State and nebraska. nebraskans are too stupid and uncreative to put new helmets out so they can get thrown out of the data.
I mean, what are they going to use to replace the big block N? Herbie?

Remember a few years back when a bunch of total idiots wanted to redesign the Tigerhawk?

They should've gotten 25 years in the slammer for even suggesting it.

View attachment 10091
There's always some idiot wanting to screw with a highly successful brand. New Coke would be the poster child for that.

I'm sure there are some more recent examples...but I can't come up with one. ;)

Last edited:
There's always some idiot wanting to screw with a highly successful brand. New Coke would be the poster child for that.

I'm sure there are some more recent examples...but I can't come up with one. ;)

When AMF bought HD, that was a debacle.

AMF/HD snowmobiles?
AMF/HD Golf carts?
AMF/HD red/white/blue paint jobs?

Egads.

Willie Davidson finally had enough and led the efforts to acquire HD via a group of non-AMF investors.

Latest posts