7.5 games

SteveGarvey

That's the over/under set for the calling of Davis' head this upcoming season. This offense is going to struggle at times this upcoming season due to a relative lack of talent and no offensive coordinator is going to be able to fix it dramatically. Yet, he'll slip right into the KOK role with some people here without a hitch.

If anyone thinks Davis is going to be the issue, they are fools.

Iowa has lost three NFL draft worthy starters on the Oline, including both tackles. Their D Line is even more decimated. Both Iowa coordinators need to be given a pass this year.

We should start out 5-0, but it wouldn't surprise me if we lost to Northern Illinois, Iowa State, or both.

If we take care of business the first 5 weeks, than we have a great chance to finish 8-4 or 9-3. 8-4 is the worst we should ever be, but given the talent we have next year 6-6 shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, and I could foresee a path to 5-7.

We should start out 5-0, but it wouldn't surprise me if we lost to Northern Illinois, Iowa State, or both.

If we take care of business the first 5 weeks, than we have a great chance to finish 8-4 or 9-3. 8-4 is the worst we should ever be, but given the talent we have next year 6-6 shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, and I could foresee a path to 5-7.

Northern Illinois arguably loses more to graduation than the Hawks. But, I wouldn't be surprised for the game to look something like the last Soldier Field game against NIU, which was a bad omen for the upcoming season.

On offense, we lost our leading rusher (who was on pace to break the all time rushing record at Iowa), our leading receiver (who did break all the receiving records at Iowa), both our bookend tackles, our OC and our OL coach. To say we will struggle on offense would be an understatement, in my opinion.

But I'm not holding my breath thinking that people on this board will give GD a chance....human nature being what it is, and all.

On offense, we lost our leading rusher (who was on pace to break the all time rushing record at Iowa), our leading receiver (who did break all the receiving records at Iowa), both our bookend tackles, our OC and our OL coach. To say we will struggle on offense would be an understatement, in my opinion.

But I'm not holding my breath thinking that people on this board will give GD a chance....human nature being what it is, and all.

This...

I have no idea what our offense will look like next year.... kind of scary.

I do not agree with the concern over our o-line. We have returning guys who have started in Ferentz,Tobin,McMillan,Scherff. We have Van Sloten,Donnal,Blythe and Walsh as 4 star or higher type of players who have been in the program at least a year. We have Boffelli,who was pushing for time last year. That is 9 guys right there who can play. When Zuesevics came in as a junior, some fans were very concerned...he was a volleyball player in HS,for gosh sakes!...now,probably NFL if he gets healthy. O-line will be fine. Center is the key and we have a 3 year starter there.
Our offense is going to be solid,imo. C-Fed,Keenan,K-Mart are all going to have big years as receievers. We have the leading yardage passer returning in the Big Ten at QB. 28 TDs to 8 Interceptions is very solid. At Texas they had 16TDs to 15Interceptions last year.
Running back is wide open,yes. But RB is also the position that is most easy for a newcomer to impact. Lock and load. We have numbers,with Canzeri,Bullock,Rogers,Dawson,Johnson,White and our top recruit 4 star guy,all being in the mix. Davis likes to pass to rbs,which works with some of these smaller guys.

Defense is the question mark. The back seven should be solid with 3 of our top 5 guys back for the secondary,and 5 of our top 6 lbs back.
D-line...need to coach'em up Reese.

I see Iowa off to a 5-0 start,not a lock,but do-able. Then they will win at least 3 more to get to 8-4 minimum,with a top-end of 10-2 with losses only at Mich and MSU.

I'd take the under. Under Kirk, Iowa's offense has struggled in general with a few exceptions. No reason to believe any different this year.

The last OC got the brunt of the blame. I'd expect the new OC to see much of the same.

I do not agree with the concern over our o-line. We have returning guys who have started in Ferentz,Tobin,McMillan,Scherff. We have Van Sloten,Donnal,Blythe and Walsh as 4 star or higher type of players who have been in the program at least a year. We have Boffelli,who was pushing for time last year. That is 9 guys right there who can play. When Zuesevics came in as a junior, some fans were very concerned...he was a volleyball player in HS,for gosh sakes!...now,probably NFL if he gets healthy. O-line will be fine. Center is the key and we have a 3 year starter there.
Our offense is going to be solid,imo. C-Fed,Keenan,K-Mart are all going to have big years as receievers. We have the leading yardage passer returning in the Big Ten at QB. 28 TDs to 8 Interceptions is very solid. At Texas they had 16TDs to 15Interceptions last year.
Running back is wide open,yes. But RB is also the position that is most easy for a newcomer to impact. Lock and load. We have numbers,with Canzeri,Bullock,Rogers,Dawson,Johnson,White and our top recruit 4 star guy,all being in the mix. Davis likes to pass to rbs,which works with some of these smaller guys.

Defense is the question mark. The back seven should be solid with 3 of our top 5 guys back for the secondary,and 5 of our top 6 lbs back.
D-line...need to coach'em up Reese.

I see Iowa off to a 5-0 start,not a lock,but do-able. Then they will win at least 3 more to get to 8-4 minimum,with a top-end of 10-2 with losses only at Mich and MSU.

No offense (pun intended), but you're crazy!

First of all, there were two main reasons JVB had such a great statistical year. The first reason was Coker, who teams had to respect, thus giving Vandy more time in the pocket and more reliability in the play-action. The second reason was McNutt who ran as good a routes as any receiver in recent memory and could catch virtually anything. Neither one of those players is back. Teams at this point do not have to respect our running game because somewhere in the neighborhood of 90% of it is gone. So they can load up on JVB. And who in the heck is he going to throw to? C-Fed hasn't proven anything yet. Davis has been a perpetual bust for the most part, save a good game here and there. And other than the Pitt game, K-Mart has done next to nothing.

In addition, I don't give a rip how many stars someone has next to their name. With the exception of Mike Jones (out of necessity), Reiff and Bulaga (too much talent to keep off the field), name me another 1st or 2nd year OL that has seen much of the field? You can't because it doesn't happen in this system. The schemes are tough to learn and KF isn't going to throw someone out there who isn't technically sound. When you lose two bookend tackles to the NFL, it's going to sting. There's no way around it.

I wish I could smoke what you're smoking because I can guarantee with almost 100% certainty that we will struggle mightily on offense.

I will take the over in a heartbeat.

1. Our schedule is very favorable.

2. Big Ten is going to be down this year.

3. I like the talent on this team (I wish Cooker was back).

4. The new coaches will bring some freshness and excitement.

5. Don't under estimate a senior quarterback with experience. How many extra games did MSU win because of Cousins last year.

Perdiction, I think we are going to win 10 games.

Nolan MacMillan is coming off an injury that upward of 35% of the people who get it never play competitive sports again. It is an injury that involves a structural problem that can't really be completely fixed because it is not about muscle strength, but the actual thinness of the abdominal wall.

So, you won't know if he will play until he gets on the field.
BF is BF. Tobin is a good tactician, but not stout. Scherff showed improvement during the year, but was not dominant by any means. Anyone else is pure speculation.

I will take the over in a heartbeat.

1. Our schedule is very favorable.

2. Big Ten is going to be down this year.

3. I like the talent on this team (I wish Cooker was back).

4. The new coaches will bring some freshness and excitement.

5. Don't under estimate a senior quarterback with experience. How many extra games did MSU win because of Cousins last year.

Perdiction, I think we are going to win 10 games.

I love number 2. To think the Big Ten is going down further than the last few years, that's freaking sobering. Save for MSU last year...it was a bust again. We lost every other matchup that meant anything.

Back to our offense. I don't believe we can say we will simply reload the offensive line, but like other posters, we have some experience coming back and some talent. You don't exactly replace a Reiff, but I think you can replace Zus and Gettis without too much drop off. Remember, Gettis couldn't beat out Nolan Mac and if he's healthy, we are going to be solid in the middle. Scherff probably ends up at tackle with Van Sloten. I also believe Blythe won't be kept off the field by anyone with more experience. He's a stud and he's ready to play from what I've heard. If we get play at tackle...we are ok.

I'm less concerned about running back as I think a mix of Canzeri, Rogers, White, and one of the freshman will be good enough. I like the way they catch the ball too. I expect to see alot of that next year. It's WR where we need to see someone emerge...it's the big time question mark. It seemed like Keenan dropped every other ball and other than McNutt there wasn't alot of separation. That needs to change. Davis will do much more crossing stuff which gets the defense confused, so that could help also.

If we get someone to step up at WR, I think we will be a solid offensive team.

HAWKS 12-0....ok...but for real 8-4

In soldier:
Iowa- 56
NIU- 10

We got old Gregg (Davis that is)!!!
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIInySnQe4I]Old Gregg Full (HD Version) - YouTube[/ame]

Any prediction of Iowas offense is pointless.

Every single unit and especially the QB could be anywhere from great to terrible.

There is plenty of talent to have a very good offense but there was more than enough talent to be a great offense last year too and far to often they were pathetic.

Guessing on the O at this point is a complete wast of time IMO.

Davis will not have the talent to work with that he had in Texas, nor will he ever.

Most of it depends on what KF allows the guy to do. If he ties his hands and expects a KOK clone, then probably not much is going to change. If he expects Davis to use the same 10-play playbook, be entirely predictable, play strictly vanilla, never adjust a gameplan, and not exploit the oppositions weaknesses then not much will have changed. If KF just gives Davis a film of three games from the past 12 years and says, this is what we will do, and this is what I expect every game, then no much will change. It will just be KOK in disguise on the sidelines.

JVB's improvement into his senior year will allow him to roughly replicate his stats of last year. Keenan/CJF/Hamilton/some WR will be enough of a compliment. If we can put a conference-average running game on the field, we'll be good, although thats a big IF.

The defense also needs to make strides.

Every year under Kirk that Iowa has succeeded, they've surprised the fans. So I'll remain optimistic.

Latest posts