7-0 Despite trailing in 6 of our 7 games.

DuffMan

I was thinking about this last night. The Iowa Hawkeyes currently sit at 7-0 despite the fact they have trailed in 6 of thier 7 games this year. Here is a list of the games we have trailed in and when...

UNI 13-10 in the 4th
ISU 0-3 in the 1st
AZ 10-7 in the 2nd
PSU 10-0 in the 2nd
ASU Lead from start to finish
scUM 14-10 in the 2nd
Wisk 10-0 in the 2nd

The fact we are 7-0 despite this I find pretty amazing. I'd like to take it a step further and find the records of all the other teams in the country that have trailed in at least 6 games and compare them. I'd be willing ot bet we are the only one with a winning record.

Wow, good find. My initial reaction says that one of these times we're not going to be able to catch up after we spot the opposing team a lead. On the other hand, what does it say about our team that we've been behind in almost every game this season, and yet we're still undefeated? Mental toughness, perseverance, even-keeled...all those things come to mind.

This team feels more and more like the 02' tOSU team as this season progresses.

I'm not sure if that tOSU team in 02' trailed in most of their games or not (like we have), but it seemed they won a lot of "ugly" games, and narrowly at that.

Like Miller said though......regardless of how ugly it was, pretty sure those NC rings still glisten.

Anyone have at their fingertips the 2nd half scores. I'm pretty sure it has been total domination and that is the reason we are 7-0. Halftime adjustments baby!

Thats incredible - shows how resiliant this team is. Its also probably the reason that talking heads like Colin Cowherd think we are terrible

This team feels more and more like the 02' tOSU team as this season progresses.

I'm not sure if that tOSU team in 02' trailed in most of their games or not (like we have), but it seemed they won a lot of "ugly" games, and narrowly at that.

Like Miller said though......regardless of how ugly it was, pretty sure those NC rings still glisten.

I agree. OSU won ugly all year. Iowa was blowing out teams down the stretch and OSU was beating PU by a last second td...stuff like that.

OSU had a great defense, smart qb,and good rb in Clarett. Sound familiar?
They won ugly in the NC game. The media liked Miami til the gun sounded.
Then OSU walked up and took the glass trophy.
Just beat MSU ,Hawks!!!

The slow starts are a function of teams knowing our plays and tendencies. If you know what KoK's opening ****** of 15 are, you're probably going to have much success.

If Wegher does keep showing flashes in the return game some teams might reconsider kicking to us to start the game. Our typical 3 and out or one first down after a return to the 25 ususally sets teams up in good starting position.

Iowa has scored on 3 of their 7 first drives. Of the four non-scoring drives, two ended in INT's (ISU & Michigan) and another one turned over on downs in the opponents territory (Wisconsin). Your theory needs some help. KOK has probably had his best year of calling plays IMO, mixing the pass with the run. Remember, he doesn't have one unit to rely on like in past seasons.

I agree the playcalling can get pretty suspect at times, but if you have followed Iowa at all in the past, I sure would think your getting used to it by now. It would be tough to argue though that Iowa definately goes into each game with a offensive plan, and you can see that until we get past the our own 30 or 40 yard line, all the play calls tend to be very conservative, low risk play calls. Not to say there isn't downfield routes in those plays, but they definately aren't the first look. Once we get between the 40's, it looks like the downfield routes make there way up Stanzi's progressions.

Latest posts