6 man recruiting class? Scholarship Breakdown?

NikeHawk21

I think Iowa is still in pursuit of Foster obviously, along with Ogundele and would take both. Iowa is still the heavy crystal ball leader for both guys.

What would you think of a 6 man class if that’s how it unfolded?

Here’s how the scholarship situation plays out fairly naturally in my opinion:
-Evelyn & Kriener seniors (2)
-Current open scholarships (1)
-Till one year only (1) (this has been confirmed)
-Bohannon plays (1)

That’s 5. Here is where the speculation begins to find the 6th scholarship:

-Pemsl is told this is last year. He came in with Bohannon & Kriener, he goes out with them and stands on senior night. I consider this scenario most likely.

-Wieskamp goes pro.

-Connor either goes to baseball full time or goes off scholarship status.

So as you see getting to the 6th available scholarship doesn’t seem like too big of an issue. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Typically I’m not a fan of a huge class like this. However I think there are certain factors that mitigate that a bit.

-Foster is maybe a 2 or 3 year college guy if things go well.

-Of the remaining 5 guys, I would expect at least 2, potentially 3 guys to redshirt. That should help even the classes. One positive is we’ve heard good things about the work ethic of all these guys.

There is still a ton of risk here. Taking 4 under the radar guys Fran needs to hope at least a couple of them pan out. If a couple transfer and the others can’t cut it this could backfire in a hurry. Time will tell, and obviously it’s not a given we land Foster or Ogundele at this point.

I don't think the Crystal Ball has been updated since the three recent gets by Fran. I can't see getting both Foster and Ogundele at this point. May not get either of them.

I don't think Connor is good enough to pursue baseball at this point, instead of finishing out his basketball career playing with his brother and for his dad.

Otherwise, I'd say your take is really good.

I don't think the Crystal Ball has been updated since the three recent gets by Fran. I can't see getting both Foster and Ogundele at this point. May not get either of them.

I don't think Connor is good enough to pursue baseball at this point, instead of finishing out his basketball career playing with his brother and for his dad.

Otherwise, I'd say your take is really good.
We will see how it transpires. I’m hearing that Iowa is still pursuing both and would still take both. I’ve also heard that Iowa still sits very well with both.

This is the route I see it taking. If you're on scholarship, even if it's technically supposed to be for baseball, it counts against Basketball's allotment. Therefore, if he isn't committed fully to basketball and wants to free up time to play baseball, the best argument is to take him off scholarship for both. Not that he didn't initially earn a scholarship in basketball through his talents, but that it's not fair to the other scholarship basketball players that he is taking up a scholarship when he's not as able to commit to the team as they are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I#Rules_for_multi-sport_athletes

I think Iowa is still in pursuit of Foster obviously, along with Ogundele and would take both. Iowa is still the heavy crystal ball leader for both guys.

-Bohannon plays (1)

-Pemsl is told this is last year. He came in with Bohannon & Kriener, he goes out with them and stands on senior night. I consider this scenario most likely.

-Wieskamp goes pro.

So as you see getting to the 6th available scholarship doesn’t seem like too big of an issue. Thoughts?

Do children of faculty receive any sort of scholarship? Or does it not work that way in major college sports? Maybe more importantly, are there more complicated factors of being "on scholarship" that would make it pretty important for the McCaffery boys to be on full scholarship? Such as, eating team meals, traveling with the team 100% of the time, etc.?

Fran is also holding a couple valuable ‘cards’... he could use his kids scholies to upgrade the team. Good grief his salary is worth way more than a scholie is. Plus securing more talent highly increases the likelihood he will keep his salary and/or get a raise. He has GOT to be smart enough to realize that

Do children of faculty receive any sort of scholarship? Or does it not work that way in major college sports? Maybe more importantly, are there more complicated factors of being "on scholarship" that would make it pretty important for the McCaffery boys to be on full scholarship? Such as, eating team meals, traveling with the team 100% of the time, etc.?
Fran is also holding a couple valuable ‘cards’... he could use his kids scholies to upgrade the team. Good grief his salary is worth way more than a scholie is. Plus securing more talent highly increases the likelihood he will keep his salary and/or get a raise. He has GOT to be smart enough to realize that
People are getting too hung up on the McCaffery boys being on scholarship. As I pointed out in the OP there are a lot of ways we can get to the 6 open scholarships (if we even sign 6) before we even have to cross that bridge of one of them coming off scholarship.

Chances are we don’t land both Foster and Ogundele, but if we did it’s more likely that 6 scholarships becomes available naturally and we don’t have to worry about taking them off scholarship.

People are getting too hung up on the McCaffery boys being on scholarship. As I pointed out in the OP there are a lot of ways we can get to the 6 open scholarships (if we even sign 6) before we even have to cross that bridge of one of them coming off scholarship.

Chances are we don’t land both Foster and Ogundele, but if we did it’s more likely that 6 scholarships becomes available naturally and we don’t have to worry about taking them off scholarship.
Agreed. But this way he is always ‘covered’ if he ‘oversigns’. Doesn’t have to ‘Crean’ anyone

I see your point. But simply going through the exercise and thinking about options, could it be a better option than taking away someone's scholarship or "forcing them out the door" ?

I see your point. But simply going through the exercise and thinking about options, could it be a better option than taking away someone's scholarship or "forcing them out the door" ?
I would say no. Having 13 scholarship guys is a lot then having those guys as walk ons means you have 14 or 15 scholarship level players. That’s just way too many to be able to manage successfully.

Granted there will likely be a few redshirts, but it’s still a lot.

Some may recall that Doug McDermott for Creighton gave up his schollie his senior year when they got a 6th year waiver for one of their guards and were full. As has been mentioned, the coaches make millions, so coughing up 15k or whatever instate tuition is at Iowa seems like a no brainer if it comes to that. Tills deal was for a year and Jordan seems more and more likely to play this year, and there is usually a transfer or two. But, if need be, there are two schollies there that are more flexible than most.

Doug McD had to be the only walk-on consensus All-American in modern history.

I would say no. Having 13 scholarship guys is a lot then having those guys as walk ons means you have 14 or 15 scholarship level players. That’s just way too many to be able to manage successfully.

Granted there will likely be a few redshirts, but it’s still a lot.

The thing is, you can sign to 15 players just to get your new guys, then almost certainly the bottom couple will end up transferring to get you back to 13. It could be an issue if the bottom two are guys like Pemsl who would rather ride pine as a Hawkeye, so they decide to stay. But if that happens, they probably won't play anyway. Fran has already shown he's willing to sit a guy who used to play when Uhl almost never saw action his senior year.

The thing is, you can sign to 15 players just to get your new guys, then almost certainly the bottom couple will end up transferring to get you back to 13. It could be an issue if the bottom two are guys like Pemsl who would rather ride pine as a Hawkeye, so they decide to stay. But if that happens, they probably won't play anyway. Fran has already shown he's willing to sit a guy who used to play when Uhl almost never saw action his senior year.
Fran benching a senior one time in his tenure is hardly a standard. That stuff happens so much elsewhere but Fran rarely does it.

In my scenario if we did sign 6 in this class, I think the writing is really on the wall for Pemsl. He’d have Garza, Nunge, and Foster in front of him, and potentially even Ogundele. If he wanted to stay and ride the pine as a hawk then I guess it could work. I liken it to the Brady Ellingson situation.

Fran benching a senior one time in his tenure is hardly a standard. That stuff happens so much elsewhere but Fran rarely does it.

In my scenario if we did sign 6 in this class, I think the writing is really on the wall for Pemsl. He’d have Garza, Nunge, and Foster in front of him, and potentially even Ogundele. If he wanted to stay and ride the pine as a hawk then I guess it could work. I liken it to the Brady Ellingson situation.

Uhl was the extreme case of almost never playing. But there have been quite a few examples of guys getting less minutes as they got older. Either way, I would say there is no way he goes over an 11 player rotation, regardless if there are 13 or 15 scholarship players on the team.

-Bohannon plays (1)

-Wieskamp goes pro.

You think this is Joe Ws last yr? I hope he's good enough to but doesn't go just yet. I was hoping for 3 yrs out of him but we'll take what we can get

You think this is Joe Ws last yr? I hope he's good enough to but doesn't go just yet. I was hoping for 3 yrs out of him but we'll take what we can get
No. Didn’t say that, was pointing out the scenarios that could unfold to get the 6th available scholarship.

On the point though, I wouldn’t be surprised if this is Wieskamp’s last year. That doesn’t mean I think he’s ready or expect he will be an NBA guy. Two completely different things.

Don’t see the problem here.
Till is on a 1 year scholarship deal. If EVERYONE comes back with a 6-player class, this is how 2020 looks:

Sr: Garza, Pemsl, Bohannon
Jr: Nunge, Connor, Wieskamp
So: JoeT, Fredrick, Patrick
Fr: Foster, Ogundele, 2 Murrays, Perkins, Ulis

That’s 15. Fran’s big ace in the hole is his kids’ schollys. Of course he’d use those if necessary. He already has used Connor’s. I’d bet that fact has been used in recruiting this class already. So..., no one needs to be ‘forced’ to leave.

But..., to repeat and embellish:
1) Bohannon could play this year, deciding he’d be more useful to the team this year
2) Connor could go play baseball. Of course this is possible.
3) Pemsl could decide to grad trans vs a stacked frontcourt.
4) JW could go pro. Yes, possible.
5) Do think RSs likely
6) BIG certainty: this team would be GOOOOD

Last edited:
No. Didn’t say that, was pointing out the scenarios that could unfold to get the 6th available scholarship.

On the point though, I wouldn’t be surprised if this is Wieskamp’s last year. That doesn’t mean I think he’s ready or expect he will be an NBA guy. Two completely different things.
Gotcha. And I wasn't calling you out on it so much. The dude showed quite a bit of potential and if he takes another leap this year who knows.

Latest posts