2019-2020 Weaknesses

NikeHawk21

1. Defense
For the strength thread I said you could pencil in scoring as a strength every year, well the same could be said for defense as a weakness until proven otherwise. The fact of the matter is Garza and Bohannon are likely going to continue to have their issues on this end. Hard to imagine with all our newcomers we will be locked in communication wise either. I will say I think Nunge can really help us on this end as a potential rim protector and I’m excited to hear CJF looks like a quality defender. Maybe Evelyn will be an upgrade.

2. Inexperience / chemistry
Experience is a huge thing in college basketball. We do have some quality experience, but we also are going to be breaking in several new players and young players. I imagine everyone of our freshman will take some lumps.

3. Fran’s rotation management
I believe, and partially based on quotes from Fran yesterday, he has his eyes set on an 11 man rotation this year. That’s no good in my opinion. As I mentioned in the strengths thread I actually think our bench could be pretty good, but playing 11 guys is not a good strategy imo but it’s never stopped Fran before.

Yeah it feels like we'll need to outscore teams and hopefully force teams into TOs with our press some. Seems like our defending of the 3 pt line leaves something to be desired.

Yeah it feels like we'll need to outscore teams and hopefully force teams into TOs with our press some. Seems like our defending of the 3 pt line leaves something to be desired.
That’s true, but on the flip side we only need to be decent on defense with our scoring ability.

The question is how do we improve our defense? Could Evelyn, CJF, and Nunge be an upgrade to Moss and Cook? I think so. Replacing Baer on that end is tough part.

I do think Garza can improve some on defense. Better conditioning, better IQ of where to be, understanding to wall up and use his size. I don’t think he will ever be great on that end but he could certainly improve.

with so many new pieces I don't really know what to expect to be our strength and weaknesses. I would imagine defense is going to be a concern again....but if last year showed us anything (IMO) it's that 17 made the coaching staff pretty aware of that deficiency. We weren't good at D last year either, but over all played it much better. We lost a great defensive player and also lost 2 that weren't great at it. I think Pemsl should be good at D. I think Nunge should be good at D. I have hope for the D but until they prove it I can't really expect it to be dramatically better. So, it's likely a weakness.

That’s true, but on the flip side we only need to be decent on defense with our scoring ability.

The question is how do we improve our defense? Could Evelyn, CJF, and Nunge be an upgrade to Moss and Cook? I think so. Replacing Baer on that end is tough part.

I do think Garza can improve some on defense. Better conditioning, better IQ of where to be, understanding to wall up and use his size. I don’t think he will ever be great on that end but he could certainly improve.

The big question mark to me on replacing Baer is Pat. If he can step in and bring energy and intensity like Baer did, then I don't think it matters how much muscle he's packed on. His length, agility, and feel for the game will translate well. Pat to me is ideally Baer with a higher ceiling, more length, more athleticism, but the same lankiness that got knocked around the first couple years.

Yeah Garza being a half step quicker anticipating where to slide on rotations and effort in rebounding would help immensely at that end. For being as big and athletic as we are we should win the rebounding battle most nights. Forcing a tough shot and a miss doesn't do any good if you don't get the board.

Yeah Garza being a half step quicker anticipating where to slide on rotations and effort in rebounding would help immensely at that end. For being as big and athletic as we are we should win the rebounding battle most nights. Forcing a tough shot and a miss doesn't do any good if you don't get the board.

I was impressed that Garza could come off of abdominal surgery in the summer and then win MVP of the 2K Classic in NYC. With the whole summer to train, he must be a few steps quicker.

#1 and #3 have pretty much been weaknesses for FM the entire time he's been at Iowa.

It does indeed seem that way, but its not entirely accurate. According to Kenpom in 2015 Iowa's adjusted defense was ranked 34th. 2016 was ranked 30th. 2013 was ranked 24th.

Their defense fell off a f'ing cliff the year after woody, uthoff, gessel, clemmons, etc graduated.

While I don't think Fran is a master of defensive basketball, I think there's strong evidence that this crop of players (Jok, Cook, Bohannon, etc) just suck at defense or don't care about defense.

It does indeed seem that way, but its not entirely accurate. According to Kenpom in 2015 Iowa's adjusted defense was ranked 34th. 2016 was ranked 30th. 2013 was ranked 24th.

Their defense fell off a f'ing cliff the year after woody, uthoff, gessel, clemmons, etc graduated.

While I don't think Fran is a master of defensive basketball, I think there's strong evidence that this crop of players (Jok, Cook, Bohannon, etc) just suck at defense or don't care about defense.
You could be right. But I would say, Jok and Cook just didn't get defense having never had to play any in high school or AAU. JBo cares, he just isn't physically able to keep up with most D1 PG's.

Free throw shooting is going to be a weakness, especially if JBo can't go.
I disagree. Garza shot 80% last year. Wieskamp actually struggled early on but he ended at like 76%, I would wager he’s over 80% this year. Evelyn has been above 75% the last two years. I would also wager CJF is near 80%.

Bohannon is a luxury for sure but we won’t be a bad free throw shooting team without him.

I disagree. Garza shot 80% last year. Wieskamp actually struggled early on but he ended at like 76%, I would wager he’s over 80% this year. Evelyn has been above 75% the last two years. I would also wager CJF is near 80%.

Bohannon is a luxury for sure but we won’t be a bad free throw shooting team without him.

Not having cooks 60% free throw shooting should help the average

Wiescamp, and Nunge for that matter, being around 80% will help. The ball will be in their hands often this year.

Probably going to shoot a lot less free throws anyway than last year without Cook. He was good for picking up 3 or 4 fouls per half himself, and getting them to the bonus early and often.

Probably going to shoot a lot less free throws anyway than last year without Cook. He was good for picking up 3 or 4 fouls per half himself, and getting them to the bonus early and often.

I don't know about that...Nunge, Garza, Pemsl and Kreiner all should be able to get to the line. Then you have Weiskamp that has shown a dribble drive game and the ability to finish. I'm really looking forward to seeing Weiskamp going to the hole...he's going to be stronger and the dude is athletic.

The other wildcard is the kid from Kentucky...a true gamer.

The one thing that isn't being talked about is the basketball IQ quotient. I think it goes up on this team this year due to the experience returning. That's huge...no silly fouls, and guys playing very unselfish.

The way the game is played now, you need to be able to shoot the 3 and defend the 3. Iowa’s defensive efficiency numbers weren’t bad last year, the killer was defending the 3. It’s the same ole story: lack of defensive rotation, effort, finding shooters, etc.

You could be right. But I would say, Jok and Cook just didn't get defense having never had to play any in high school or AAU. JBo cares, he just isn't physically able to keep up with most D1 PG's.

Jok was somewhat limited athletically and his lack of desire to actually play it didn’t help. Totally agree, about JBo and Cook.

Latest posts