2014 Football Season Obstacles

CJSHawk

With the experienced players the Iowa football team has returning and the friendly schedule I agree that the 2014 season looks promising. However, like all teams, this team has to overcome some obstacles and here is what I think they are:1. Kirk Ferentz/Greg Davis- I'm still not convinced this head coach/offensive coordinator combination is going to work out. At times last year the playcalling made it clear these two were not on the same page. Does anyone remember the toss sweep to Weisman in the Outback Bowl?? Last year was a step in the right direction after the pathetic 2012 offense, but we need to see much more progress this year, or Davis needs to go.2. OL depth- I understand "borrowing" scholarships from the OL to address the significant talent issue at WR, but the Hawks are now walking the tight rope with depth at that position. The starting five should be solid, but one or two injuries and this team has a real problem.3. Linebackers- Year in and year out Iowa simply doesn't recruit at a level to replace linebackers the quality of Kirksey, Hitchens, and Morris and not feel it. The DL should be good, but I'm thinking our LB play is going to frustrate.So if Ferentz and Davis finally agree on Iowa's offensive identity and how to utilize each player's strengths(See Weisman comment above), and the OL stays healthy, and the linebackers surprise with their play..........Look Out!!!!

Those are all majors potential problems. Not sure how I feel about Davis still. He will have more weapons this year than he has had so far at Iowa. If the line stays healthy and the QB improves, Iowa might be decent on offense this year.
I would also now add safety to the problem list. There seems to be no depth there. Maybe Mabin moves there.

Those are all majors potential problems. Not sure how I feel about Davis still. He will have more weapons this year than he has had so far at Iowa. If the line stays healthy and the QB improves, Iowa might be decent on offense this year.
I would also now add safety to the problem list. There seems to be no depth there. Maybe Mabin moves there.

Safety play has been a problem the past few seasons. Lowdermilk is just ok so the Hawks will need Lomax to emerge!!

You're not sure how you feel about Davis? Really? The guy had a revolving door of 4 and 5 star players at Texas and had the advantage of playing against porous Big Twelve defenses and he got fired after Texas went 5-7. That Texas team had a terrible offensive performance and lost to a 5-7 Iowa State team that gave up 35 to Iowa, 68 to Utah and 52 to Oklahoma. Davis is a major step down from our last o-coordinator.

I'm not a huge fan of Greg Davis, but I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon. We just have to count on stellar defenses and solid O-line play as long as Kirk is the head guy and keeps hampering the offense. It is what it is.

I think the linebackers are going to surprise people. I really hope so at least. The D-line should help them get more comfortable as the season goes along.

We are definitely thin on the O-line, or at least the depth we have there is very unproven. Hopefully we have an injury-free season for the most part like last season, but I don't see that happening. So it might be a "next man in" type of season. Guess we'll have to find out and see.

Last edited:
You're not sure how you feel about Davis? Really? The guy had a revolving door of 4 and 5 star players at Texas and had the advantage of playing against porous Big Twelve defenses and he got fired after Texas went 5-7. That Texas team had a terrible offensive performance and lost to a 5-7 Iowa State team that gave up 35 to Iowa, 68 to Utah and 52 to Oklahoma. Davis is a major step down from our last o-coordinator.

I hear you, though Texas has sucked with great recruits since he left as I'm sure you know. I am hoping he and his players have a breakout year. Barring injuries on the offensive line and if Ruddock improves, I think that they will.

Everybody in the division thinks they are going to win the West, cept for Purdue and Illinois. And they could be right.
NW- they return 18 starters, and their fans think they will run the table in the West.
Minny- they return many starters, and feel they have turned the corner last year.
Neb. and Wis just expect to roll every year.

Iowa needs to get lucky with injuries ....as usual. O-line is vulnerable if anyone goes down.
Still, I think the offense will be better this year, with more veteran QBing.
Jake threw way too many interceptions last year. He needs to improve and I think he will.

Am I the only one that's concerned about the off-season distractions?

Are you talking about Dean T's OWI? I would expect a couple more of those, and consider it a win. KMM's is probably not even worth mentioning...which doesn't explain why I just mentioned it.

At this point there probably isn't anything to be concerned about.

No. Three so far (although the disorderly house isn't anything of concern) and we have a couple more months to go. Nico, DT, KMM. If it continues at this place we gots a problem.

No. Three so far (although the disorderly house isn't anything of concern) and we have a couple more months to go. Nico, DT, KMM. If it continues at this place we gots a problem.

Nico's gone, out of mind. Might as well be lost to injury. This just fires up other DBs looking for PT

KMM, loud music? I doubt anybody's losing too much sleep over that. (no pun intended).

That leaves a DUI from a guy who wasn't likely to see meaningful minutes. (a serious offense for sure, but little affect on what happens between the lines)

I doubt anybody in uniform will even remember come August. (except for DT as he sits out)

Im concerned about FG kicking until I see we have a Kicker. Punting is still a question mark. The kicking game could be the difference in 2-4 win

The LB position is what's really got me worried about the D this yr. Thems going to be some hard shoes to fill

Worried about the secondary with 2 new starters and no depth. Law was not going to start but provided some experience at safety. There will be a learning curve and mistakes will be made while getting up to speed There always is. Lowdermilk, Tanner Miller, sash, Greenwood, all had to go through their growing pains. Some guys like Law never really did seem to learn, but I seen guys like Jordan Bernstein and even Greg Castillo step it up their senior years after awful starts to their careers. I was hoping Law would have one of those senior years. But it was not meant to be.

I hear you, though Texas has sucked with great recruits since he left as I'm sure you know. I am hoping he and his players have a breakout year. Barring injuries on the offensive line and if Ruddock improves, I think that they will.

I'm not sure about him yet but anyone who is sure about him being worthless is a stupid troll. He was also in charge of many successful offenses. If he was the problem they'd have gotten someone good and Mack Brown wouldn't have been fired. The whole program was going down the toilet and everybody with a brain knows that, he was a scapegoat.

OKeefe has never posted anything that wasn't trolling.

I'm not sure about him yet but anyone who is sure about him being worthless is a stupid troll. He was also in charge of many successful offenses. If he was the problem they'd have gotten someone good and Mack Brown wouldn't have been fired. The whole program was going down the toilet and everybody with a brain knows that, he was a scapegoat.

OKeefe has never posted anything that wasn't trolling.

Listen, pal, when I say that we need to fire Greg Davis, I ain't trolling. The guy is a total moron.

Latest posts