2013 Favorite or Memorable Iowa Offensive Plays

eyekwah

With a 8 and 4 winning season completed it is time to reflect a bit. Two offensive plays come to mind for me that define the difference between this season and last season. On Friday Rudock and CJF connected on third down early in the game for a TD. CJF was closely defended, but Rudock delivered a strike to him and CJ hung on after a hard hit. It gave Iowa the lead that it never relinquished. The second play was the OT touchdown against Northwestern, where Rudock hit CJF against a blitzing NW player and CJF got to the spot he needed to.

Last year Iowa couldn't make plays like these two for love nor money. Maybe others have memories that have other plays that separate 2012 from 2013.

I was at the Michigan game, so I would have a hard to going against the td pass to Smith. However there were several memorable ones.

I was at the Michigan game, so I would have a hard to going against the td pass to Smith. However there were several memorable ones.

Without going back and checking, I would guess this is the longest play of the season. The grab was terrific and it was great to see a WR catch it in stride.

This play would get my vote as well.

Powell's long TD catch and run at Minnesota was pretty awesome.

Canzeri at Purdue.... pick a run. They were all fantastic.

The 70+yarder vs MN by Powell and the 50ish yd TD by Smith vs Michigan seemed impossible last year.
Every Rudock scramble and/or stepping up to avoid pressure/sacks.
Using the TEs. Still need more over the middle
The Defensive pressure, sacks, QB hurries
The DE containing mobile QBs, well other than the couple of otherworldly runs by Braxton Miller...

^all this was missing from 2012.

[Lazy]
How long was Duzey's play at the Shoe? Wasn't that close to 80 yards too? That was an eye opener.
[/Lazy]

After not being played the entire game, Canzeri tearing off 53 yards on his first touch at Wisconsin sticks out.

Seeing Weisman plow his way into the endzone vs Michigan to tie the game up. Wasn't a pretty play but it was one of the toughest runs I've seen all year.

--Duzey TD against OSU
--Powell TD against Minnesota
--CJF O/T TD against NW
--Weisman game-tying TD against Michigan

This might not make anyone else's lists, but Ruddocks touchdown toss to Hillyer against isu was enormous. Although Iowa was running very effective, isu somehow was back in the game at 14-7. That is when ruddock completed the 3rd and 8 for a touchdown into heavy pressure. For some reason this play on the road in a hostile environment showed me that jake has tremendous poise, and since then his teammates have fed off that (4-1 road record).

Hitchens play to get the ball back vs. Michigan
Duzey at OSU
Lowery INT at ISU
Powell at UMN
JR to CJF OT vs NW
LTP hustle play to end the game vs. NW
T Smith TD vs. UM
KMM TD at NEB
Kirksey Scoop and Score vs. NIU
KMM Punt Returns for TDs vs. WMU

There were a lot of good plays to pick from this year.

Last edited:
My favorite play of the yr was on defense when Lowery snagged that pick with one hand. Thats one of the best catches of the yr I thought. GO HAWKS!

Hitchens play to get the ball back vs. Michigan
Duzey at OSU
Lowery INT at ISU
Powell at UMN
JR to CJF OT vs NW
LTP hustle play to end the game vs. NW
T Smith TD vs. UM
KMM TD at NEB
Kirksey Scoop and Score vs. NIU
Lowery Punt Returns for TDs vs. WMU

There were a lot of good plays to pick from this year.

ditto. Except KMM had the punt returns not Lowery

Seeing Weisman plow his way into the endzone vs Michigan to tie the game up. Wasn't a pretty play but it was one of the toughest runs I've seen all year.

I would add the Hebrew Hammer's run for a TD (downed at the 1 after review) vs Nebby, to his highlight reel this year. Plowing thru and bouncing off of 3 different "blackshirts". I think they should've given him a TD on effort alone. Lol.

He didn't seem to have as many highlight runs as last year, but you can't argue with the guy's results. He is a workhorse.

I'm going with LTP's tackle of Colter to end the game with Northwestern. Great individual effort and Iowa really needed that game.