2011 Wide Receivers

hawkfarmer

Will we be able to land any of the big receiver recruits that we have offered. 2 kids from Illinois have the measurables and are highly ranked (I know this doesn't mean everything but 5 and 4 stars are still nice) would be nice to have.

Losing DJK, Sandeman and Chaney will hurt and we haven't had the best record of recruiting the top receivers. Will we be able to get some young guys to come in? They have to like the depth, when they are freshman:

McNutt SR
Davis JR
Cotton SO
Manley RS FR or So

and walk ons. 3 unproven receivers. There's room for a few guys and some playing time could come early.

I think we need a good pull in the WR core.

I can't believe we didn't sign more WR's and/or at least one highly rated guy. If I was a 2010 recruit, you come to Iowa and redshirt primarily because of DJK and McNutt.

In 2011 there's nobody ahead of you that is a sure cut starter and there's 2 spots available. Yeah Davis has potential, but he did very little last year and he'll still be a back-up in 2010 as well. Every year we should have 4-5 capable guys and we'll be lucky to have 2 guys with any game time experience in 2011.

I have yet to be impressed with coach Soups ability to bring in a highly regarded WR. Yes Keenan Davis counts, but Keenan would of been a Hawkeye regardless.

We need at least two highly ranked WR's. Not necessarily four star, but guys with at least other quality offers.

I have yet to be impressed with coach Soups ability to bring in a highly regarded WR. Yes Keenan Davis counts, but Keenan would of been a Hawkeye regardless.

We need at least two highly ranked WR's. Not necessarily four star, but guys with at least other quality offers.

I don't think Soup was ever "known" for his recruiting. He is a coach, not a recruiter, I know there are others out there who do both well, give him time. Look how it works the other way, Zook (he can recruit, but can't coach). I also don't think he needs the 4 and 5 star kids to be successful, give hime some good 3 star propects with the size and let him work his magic.

I don't think Soup was ever "known" for his recruiting. He is a coach, not a recruiter, I know there are others out there who do both well, give him time. Look how it works the other way, Zook (he can recruit, but can't coach). I also don't think he needs the 4 and 5 star kids to be successful, give hime some good 3 star propects with the size and let him work his magic.

Or, maybe some more tall qb's that he convert to a WR. We have yet to see where Vier ends up!!!!

He is a great coach, and I am willing to bet he could work with my fat *** and turn me into a d1 receiver in a year. (anybody who is willing to pay my yearly salary, I will take a year off and try it)

Or, maybe some more tall qb's that he convert to a WR. We have yet to see where Vier ends up!!!!

He is a great coach, and I am willing to bet he could work with my fat *** and turn me into a d1 receiver in a year. (anybody who is willing to pay my yearly salary, I will take a year off and try it)

Vier is nowhere quick enough to become a WR... maybe a TE.

The observation about Iowa's lack of depth at WR is 100% correct. But .....

TALENT SOURCE #1:

The squad is pretty loaded at RB and we'll also have a good number of really athletic TEs with pretty impressive size.

- Wegher: Proven playmaking RB who has great burst and very good speed. Definite capable of being a contributer lined up in the slot.

- Vier: 6-7 TE with 4.7 speed in the 40 (4.65 speed according to rivals) ... that's impressive and would certainly pose mismatches.

- Getz: 6-4 TE with 4.7 speed and who was an all-stater in basketball in high school (a great trait for a future TE).

- Griggs: 6-5 TE who continually generates buzz concerning his impressive frame and athleticism from folks close to the program. Also was reportedly a very good basketball player in high school. Speaking of athleticism ... some folks have said that he's physically the TE who is most like Moeaki.

- Fiedorowicz: 6-7 TE who reports 4.55 speed in the 40. Even if hand-timed, that's still impressive. Also, like many of the others, the young man is an all-state basketball player. There have been many accounts in Illinois remarking that CJ is an absolute physical/athletic freak.

Of the above, Wegher is already proven and it's not hard to fathom that 2 of the listed 4 TEs end up developing favorably.

REMARK: It's likely that this source produces around 3 quality receiving threats to our passing-game.

TALENT SOURCE #2:

Do not overlook Iowa's walk-ons! I'd especially keep an eye out for:

- Staggs: 6-3/195 and pretty darn fast (turned a lot of heads at combines while on the recruiting circuit)

- Pregont: 6-6/210 Tall kid who caught A TON of passes in high school.

- WR walk-ons from the 2010 class

TALENT SOURCE #3:

I'm certainly an eternal optimist, however, I sincerely believe that Iowa's on-field success will start reaping some recruiting rewards at WR. I look for Iowa to land AT LEAST 2 high quality WR recruits in the 2011 class. At least ONE TR FR WR will be in a position to contribute early in the 2011 season.

MAKIN' ETOUFFEE:

Combine the ingredients from the aforementioned 3 sources with ...

- McNutt
- K Davis
- Cotton
- Martin-Manley

and a stud QB in James Vandenberg, and you're still looking at a pretty darn potent passing attack!

I love our tightends, and using 2 of them. We have no idea if Davis, Manley, or Cotton are going to be studs. Having some recruits spread through the classes would be nice too. If we could pull the two guys from Vernon Hills (aka a Don Shumpert and Christian Kirksey pull) I would be very pleased.

Then add a speedster like the kid from Texas or Chance Early

Face it KF isn't the greatest at being a salesman either but the rep. of building players capable of the next level is at least as good as being a salesman. Soup is making a difference and if he stays long enough he'll be bringing them in by rep. alone.

I love our tightends, and using 2 of them. We have no idea if Davis, Manley, or Cotton are going to be studs. Having some recruits spread through the classes would be nice too. If we could pull the two guys from Vernon Hills (aka a Don Shumpert and Christian Kirksey pull) I would be very pleased.

Probably as many offensive playmakers on the roster, right now, than in quite some time. CJ and AJ will be playmakers for the Hawkeyes. Obviously Wegher already is one. DJK & Marvin M. And Keenan Davis will have a break out year, in 2010, or 2011, unless the two starting WR's simply dominate and they may do just that.

Great write-up Homer and agree that Staggs and Pregont are going to make a splash at some point.

Legit buzz already surrounds Davis as being on par with (or better than) our veterans concerning the play-making aspect of the WR spot. What he needs to continue improving upon is his blocking and the added details that D1 FBS WRs need to pick up (reading Ds and finding holes in the zone, hot reads, etc).

Also, you might be surprised about the positive stuff that has already been coming out about Cotton. I have little doubt that he's going to be a good one too.

I don't know about Martin-Manley since he won't be hitting campus for a while ... however, some of Soup's Michigan connections were really high on the young man ... enough so to earn him a 'ship. Considering that he's entering our program as a pure WR ... that will help him a lot entering our program. If you look at most of our WRs on 'ship ... DJK, McNutt, Chaney, and Cotton ... they're all CONVERTS to the WR spot. A guy entering the spot with a pure WR background enters the picture at Iowa with an inherent advantage ... at least for now!

RB & TE will carry the offense, the Hawks will be fine on that side of the ball. Someone will step up big time with a chance to play for a national championship contender. I think Davis & Cotton will be fun to watch.

RB & TE will carry the offense, the Hawks will be fine on that side of the ball. Someone will step up big time with a chance to play for a national championship contender. I think Davis & Cotton will be fun to watch.

CJ Fiedorwicz, within a couple years, is going to be a speedier version of Scott Chandler, the All Big Ten TE/Slot/WR. That is certainly going to be an asset for the Iowa offense.

Bingo. Like a few others have said, Iowa is loaded at both of those positions for at least the next 3 years.

Latest posts