2011 NFL Mock Draft v1.0

SteveDeace

2011 NFL DRAFT v.1.0

1. Panthers—Blaine Gabbert, QB-Missouri*
The Rams and Dolphins have each proved in recent seasons that if you don’t have a franchise quarterback you have to take one when you have the top overall pick in the draft, and that is the case for the Panthers.

2. Broncos—Nick Fairley, DT-Auburn
With his size and quickness, Fairley can play every single defensive line position in either a 4-3 or a 3-4 except the nose tackle.

3. Bills—Marcell Dareus, DL-Alabama*
The top player on the board who is an ideal fit for Buffalo’s 3-4 defensive scheme.

4. Bengals—A.J. Green, WR-Georgia*
When your franchise quarterback is asking for a trade or threatening to retire you better show him some offseason love.

5. Cardinals—Patrick Peterson, CB-LSU*
Arizona really needs a quarterback, but there are too many questions about the remaining prospects at this point so instead the Cardinals select another player several scouts believe could be the best overall prospect in the draft.

6. Browns—Da’Quan Bowers, DE-Clemson*
Considered by several scouts the best overall prospect in the draft, he’s a pure rush end for a team shifting from a 3-4 to a 4-3 defense.

7. 49ers—Prince Amukamara, CB-Nebraska
San Francisco really needs a quarterback, but really only Jake Locker fits what Jim Harbaugh is looking for and this may be too early to take him. 49ers are long in the tooth and expensive at cornerback.

8. Titans—Ryan Kerrigan, DE-Purdue
Tennessee also needs a quarterback, but with Jeff Fisher winning the front office tug-of-war don’t expect them to reach for one. Kerrigan is a Fisher-type player who brings it on every down.

9. Cowboys—J.J. Watt, DL-Wisconsin*
Cowboys need offensive line help, but Jerry Jones doesn’t pick them in the first round. Most of Dallas’ proven defensive ends are free agents this offseason, and of the ones remaining in the draft at this point Watt is best suited for a 3-4 defense.

10. Redskins—Jake Locker, QB-Washington
Entered the season top prospect in the draft, but senior year was marred by injuries. Still, he led Huskies to first bowl win in years and is a freak of an athlete.

11. Texans—Stephen Paea, NT-Oregon State
With Wade Phillips coming in as defensive coordinator, a 3-4 defense is on its way and you need a pure nose tackle to run it effectively.

12. Vikings—Cameron Newton, QB-Auburn*
New coaches often mean new quarterbacks, and at this moment the Vikings don’t really have one they can build around. Newton also might be a nice pick up for a franchise looking for public support for a new stadium.

13. Lions—Robert Quinn, DE-North Carolina*
One of the Tar Heel studs who lost his eligibility last season, Quinn is an elite-level pass rusher who could wreak havoc next to Ndamukong Suh.

14. Rams—Anthony Castanzo, OT-Boston College
It’s a so-so year for offensive linemen, but Rams have to protect their franchise quarterback.

15. Dolphins—Ryan Mallett, QB-Arkansas*
One of the toughest players to project in the draft with his great size and arm strength, but funky mental makeup and decision making at times has scouts wondering if he can be the face of a franchise.

16. Jaguars—Adrian Clayborn, DE-Iowa
If you watched his junior film you’d project him in the top 10, but if you watched his senior film you might project him to the second day of the draft.

17. Patriots (from Raiders)—Akeem Ayers, OLB-UCLA
New England can’t put any pressure on the passer, so why not draft the top rush linebacker in the draft?

18. San Diego—Justin Houston, OLB-Georgia*
A perfect and disruptive fit for the Chargers 3-4 defense coming off a monster junior season in the SEC.

19. Giants—Tyson Smith, OT-USC
In a position to take the best player available, but that’s not the way they roll, preferring instead to take the best lineman available.

20. Buccaneers—Von Miller, DE/OLB-Texas A&M
One of the top players in college football last year can fit in nicely in Tampa Bay’s 4-3 defense as a pure pass rusher.

21. Chiefs—Cameron Jordan, DL-California
Kansas City needs to put more pressure on the quarterback, and Jordan is a versatile player in a 3-4.

22. Colts—Corey Liuget, DT-Illinois*
Offensive line is a need, but Indianapolis must finally address how soft they traditionally are up front versus the run.

23. Eagles—Nate Solder, OT-Colorado
Andy Reid likes to draft linemen in round one, and offensive line is the team’s biggest need this offseason.

24. Saints—Mark Ingram, RB-Alabama*
Reggie Bush is a versatile threat, but the Saints need a bell cow that can tote the rock 20 times a game between the tackles if needed.

25. Seahawks—Aldon Smith, DE-Missouri*
Production wasn’t necessarily there, but he’s the type of raw athlete that always gets picked in round one based on measurables.

26. Ravens—Julio Jones, WR-Alabama*
In a position to take the best player available, the Ravens recognize all of their best wide receivers are 30 or older.

27. Falcons—Brandon Harris, CB-Miami, Fla.*
If you watched the playoff loss to Green Bay you know this is a team that needs secondary help.

28. Patriots—Derek Sherrod, OT-Mississippi State
New England’s two best offensive linemen are both free agents.

29. Bears—Gabe Carimi, OT-Wisconsin
Chicago’s patchwork offensive line is obviously its biggest need.

30. Jets—Muhammad Wilkerson, DL-Temple*
Needs to get stronger against the run, so they reach a little here looking for that stout interior player they need.

31. Packers—Cameron Heyward, DE-Ohio State
Ideally suited to be steady gap plugger in a 3-4 scheme, which is exactly what Green Bay needs.

32. Steelers—Mike Pouncey, OL-Florida
Pittsburgh still needs to upgrade their offensive line and Pouncey can play at least three positions up front.

Top 10 players on the board for Round 2
1. Jonathan Baldwin, WR-Pittsburgh*
2. Kyle Rudolph, TE-Notre Dame*
3. DeAndre McDaniel, S-Clemson
4. Stefen Wisniewski, OL-Penn State
5. Drake Nevis, DT-LSU
6. Allen Bailey, DE-Miami, Fla.
7. Aaron Williams, CB-Texas*
8. Mikel LeShoure, RB-Illinois*
9. Jabaal Sheard, DE/OLB-Pittsburgh
10. Rahim Moore, S-UCLA*

*=underclassman

No way should the Panthers take Gabbert. Gabbert routinely folds under pressure (see: Hyde pick with Clayborn bearing down on him), and Carolina gave up the 2nd most sacks in the NFL this year (honestly, who was going to top Jay Cutler this year?). That has Joey Harrington written all over it (beat the talent out of a player).

Plus, why reach (big time) on Gabbert this year, when you're probably not going to improve next season. Andrew Luck will be on the board next year. Which would you prefer: Gabbert in a no-win situation right now, or Andrew Luck next year?

I understand your reasoning with the Rams taking an offensive tackle...but I can't believe they can pass up Julio Jones if he's still on the board.

If there is not a CB for the Cowboys at 9 they will trade that pick, no way they will take Watts there.

The Rams definately take Julio Jones. They need play makers in the pass game I think that much was obvious. Besides, does anyone pay attention to rosters? The Rams drafted Jason Smith in 2009 with their first round pick, but he's playing RT now because of how well Rodger Stafford played this year as a rookie. I don't think they are too worried about their franchise QBs blindside.

The Dolphins didn't take a QB #1 overall (or in the first round) They took Jake Long #1 overall (and that pick has worked out very well for them). Their current QB (Henne, which I would have thought you'd know since he's a UM grad) was selected in the 2nd round.

I don't think there's a chance in hell of Gabbert going #1 overall.

Agree with the above-mentioned posts about the Panthers.

Living close to Charlotte, you won't see the Panthers pick up another quarterback. They burned three picks last year on QB's - Clausen, Pike and Armanti Edwards (Quarterback from Appalachian State who beat Michigan).

The organization is in a free fall, they have an owner who wanted to let a great coach go because he gutted the team, see John Fox who will do great things in Denver.

Richardson, the owner of the Panthers, is banking on a lock out and is doing his best to propagate any information he can that could make it happen. Check out his latest comments on the lock out, they are all doom and gloom.

Luck is there next year, and even a K. Moore would be a better pick than Gabbert.

My two cents.

The Dolphins didn't take a QB #1 overall (or in the first round) They took Jake Long #1 overall (and that pick has worked out very well for them). Their current QB (Henne, which I would have thought you'd know since he's a UM grad) was selected in the 2nd round.

I don't think there's a chance in hell of Gabbert going #1 overall.

Henne has lost the confidence of the regime there, according to multiple media reports, too lazy to look them up right now, so technically he is correct. Jake Long has been very good, but his point still stands about a franchise QB which the Dolphins' obviously do not possess. Parcells is gone and I think Ireland and company will look hard at drafting a
QB in the first but hopefully not Mallett.

Gabbert is the flavor of the month right now, but there are a lot of scouting services that don't like him (as a #1 overall draft pick). I think he will be a first rounder but slide after the combine.

While the 2010 crop of DL is very deep and talented, I dont see 14 of them coming off the board in the 1st rd.

If I were a Panther fan & they selected Gabbert, I'd quit being a fan.
Christ, no one even knows if he can take a snap from under center.
He stood 5 yds behind center and threw PREDETERMINED 7yd routes.
This would be a colossally terrible draft pick.

FWIW, I think this draft is weak at the top.
I'd have a hard time passing up Patrick Peterson, even #1 overall.

I'll puke if the Cowboys take J.J. Watt...not thank you...

I hope they take a OL or CB. The CB from Nebraska is my hope.

Honestly, the best thing Carolina could do is place the worst possible team they can on the field next season so they can draft Andrew Luck next April.

Vonn Miller goes before Clayborn.

No way Gabbert is the #1 overall. I could see a bunch of teams trading down if a QB is what they want. In this draft you basically have four or five second day QBs and not one of them projects to be your franchise QB. Locker and Gabbert are the closest to the franchise QB mold but 2nd and 3rd round is where they belong.

Honestly, the best thing Carolina could do is place the worst possible team they can on the field next season so they can draft Andrew Luck next April.

This.

Luck will be the #1 pick next season barring injury. What the panthers should do is grab a stud D player like Farley (sp?) or trade it away for more depth. No way do they turn that team around overnight. They could also trade away the #1 and drop out of the top 10 and grab AJ Green who is a local kid for them. He would be a nice little perk with a year under his belt for a rookie QB.

The Panthers would be wise to trade that pick. They need a lot of help.

This. With Luck staying in school, no one really jumps out at you as a sure fire stud that will be worth No. 1 pick money. Trade back and pick up some more picks and start to rebuild both sides of the ball.

Honestly, I'm not impressed with Gabbert, Locker or Mallett. I wouldn't use a top 10 pick on any of them

This. With Luck staying in school, no one really jumps out at you as a sure fire stud that will be worth No. 1 pick money. Trade back and pick up some more picks and start to rebuild both sides of the ball.

Honestly, I'm not impressed with Gabbert, Locker or Mallett. I wouldn't use a top 10 pick on any of them

This gets said every single year. No one wants the #1 pick.

I'll state the obvious- any draft that has NE drafting one let alone two in the 1st round is a joke. Sure, they have two picks, but who believes they'll make either one?

Last edited:

Latest posts