2011 Areas of need

hawkfarmer

Thought it might be a good idea to get this started since we are already 2 days into the 2011 recruiting season.

Needs:
QB- Stanzi gone, Vandy a junior, and who knows about Derby and Vier (Haluska/Alt)
WR - DJK, Sandeman, Chaney gone McNutt a senior (need a guy that's 6'4" to just through it up to (aka another McNutt)
DB- young and talented, and added a few in this class, but always an injury away from trouble on the corners

Always need:
OL, DL--can't have enough talent or competition here

Solid, but could use 1 or 2:
RB- Could always use one, but we have great depth at least for now
LB- Got 4 this class, but always take a stud to help with depth and competition
TE- CJ will be good, and Vier or Derby may end up here, but all of the other underclassmen are unknown, and Reisner will be gone

I would guess that WR and CB would be the top priorities. Of the 2011 kids listing offers on rivals two are highly touted Olineman. 4 are WRs. 3 are listed at Rb but I wonder if they don't project at CB. I think the next class will be offensive heavy and would like to see a lot of OLine targeted.

spudhawk -

I'll be very curious to see if Hardy and Carl Davis remain on the DL. If they do, then the OL will probably need a little extra infusion in the 2011 class. Don't get me wrong, I'm exceptionally excited about Donnal and Scherff ... however, it's simply a numbers game. After having Murphy get booted and after not landing a plug-n-play O-lineman in 2010 ... I think that opens us up some. Besides, it appears that there are a good many quality O-linemen out there next year and we'll be competitive for a good many of them.

However, I agree ... CB and WR are definitely big needs. If Shumpert doesn't remain at safety, we'll need an extra safety added to the 2011 class too.

I wonder how far along we might be in our evaluations of some of the 2011 class based on how quickly most of the 2010 class was on board. I'm guessing we may have been able to identify our top targets a bit sooner this year than in past years and could be ahead of schedule in making some of our top targets feel special.

I really hope we're going to find a couple of key offensive linemen who can come contribute early, and a boat load of defensive talent. We're relatively deep at RB and QB but you always want one in each class IMO. Db's are needed and then lets just find some football players for the trenches and LB/FB/TE types who are team guys. Of course it's important to lock down the top Iowa kids regardless of where they play.

This may not sound like a top 20 class, but if we get the kids the early staff targets we should be in fine shape.

This years timing will be tough to repeat and expect the board to be filled with "whats wrong with our recruiting" posts if we fall behind 2010's signing pace.

We are in on the #1 OT again, and he comes from Coker land. Be nice if he could block for him again in the future. A few corners added to the list, and some good looking WR prospects.

I believe that some of our running back prospects may be CB recruits. One is 6-2 190 lbs, which is not our typical RB recruit, and another is 5-11 175. The two top backs are more of the bruising backs then we have two backs recruited that are 5-9 or shorter, but are the bowling ball types.

We are in on the #1 OT again, and he comes from Coker land. Be nice if he could block for him again in the future. A few corners added to the list, and some good looking WR prospects.

I believe that some of our running back prospects may be CB recruits. One is 6-2 190 lbs, which is not our typical RB recruit, and another is 5-11 175. The two top backs are more of the bruising backs then we have two backs recruited that are 5-9 or shorter, but are the bowling ball types.
The kid out of Wisc. really intriques me. He has the size, speed and athletic ability to play alot of positions on the field.

Nah, I think that Iowa is legitimately trying to land some elite RBs. Especially guys who offer contrasting styles to the guys we already have. It seems like a number of the guys we're looking at are scat-types or striders/slashers ... either way, the contrast the powerful low center of gravity guys that we already have.

When you consider that in 2010 Iowa will be featuring 4 SOs in 2010 and 1 RS FR (with both TR FR likely redshirting IMO) ... and that we could potentially end up seeing one of the SOs change positions and/or transfer ... there will be a great chance for guys from the 2011 class to be multi-year starters.

Good points Homer. I'm just curious how you think a 6'2" 180 lb RB will fit into Iowa's system. I can understand some of the smaller scat back types you speak of, but I don't remember a running back with those measures recently at Iowa.

I agree that Poteet and Justice would be great at Iowa and compliment what we have now but not sure on Gordon from WI

Need to make sure we get the in state players. It just drives me nuts when they let instate players go elsewhere, maybe they dont fit the system idk guess thats why im not a coach.

Need to make sure we get the in state players. It just drives me nuts when they let instate players go elsewhere, maybe they dont fit the system idk guess thats why im not a coach.

I think Iowa does a great job of keeping instate talent in state. I can't think of too many that have gotten away recently (Arrington) that Iowa needed. There are usually only a few top talents in the state of Iowa every year, and you can't expect the coaching staff to not try to get the best possible talent, even if it isn't in the state of Iowa. If there is a talent in the state that would help Iowa, you better believe KF and company are going to go after him. (aka, Derby, Vier, Scherff, Morris for 2010, and offers to Blythe, and French. who else you want?)

I'll be curious to see if Iowa offers any other in-state guys from the 2011 recruiting class. Cotton and James are probably prime targets ... however, I don't think that it is a given that those guys get offers. The coaches are definitely keeping a close eye on them though.

Rhoads and the recent hire of Bobby Elliott will make ISU stronger competition for in-state recruits. Hoping we can get Blythe and French as they are clearly top two on list at this time.

Iowa seems to be going slow in offering OL so it will be interesting to see who gets offers this summer. Lots of Illinois OL showing interest. i think we are longshot for #1 rated guy from MD but who knows.

I'll be curious to see if Iowa offers any other in-state guys from the 2011 recruiting class. Cotton and James are probably prime targets ... however, I don't think that it is a given that those guys get offers. The coaches are definitely keeping a close eye on them though.

Agreed. I love seeing Iowa kids go to Iowa, but we aren't Texas. We can't feel a roster with only Iowa kids and win at a high level. I like James and Cotton, but we have to see where we are at with a few of these top WR before we offer them. If we see them get an offer I think were out for the Vernon Hill guys. And I think we see Chance Early get an offer before them.

Agreed. I love seeing Iowa kids go to Iowa, but we aren't Texas. We can't feel a roster with only Iowa kids and win at a high level. I like James and Cotton, but we have to see where we are at with a few of these top WR before we offer them. If we see them get an offer I think were out for the Vernon Hill guys. And I think we see Chance Early get an offer before them.

hawkfarmer -

Another key difference between Iowa and Texas is that weather forces Iowa athletes indoors ... and that tends to lead Iowans (and many midwesterners in general) to become multi-sport athletes.

In contrast, down in Texas (and down in the South), football and track are year-round endeavors ... often complementing eachother. For instance, Texas alone has made football year-round by having 7 on 7 football occur separately from the "normal" football season. Thus, it's no small surprise that the state of Texas is now producing such great talents at QB and WR.

I understand this. I was just saying that we can't expect to find as much talent in the state of Iowa. Another reason would be the large difference in population. Texas provides quite an advantage, and I wouldn't mind finding a few more texans that wouldn't mind heading north.