2010 Season Thoughts

HawkeyeWeb

My thoughts on the 2010 team:

- Sounds like an excuse, but injuries played a big part in the demise of this team. Linebacker was going to be a weak spot even if the projected starters came back. There were injuries there and backups didn't step up. Running back injuries hurt the team too.
- This is the poorest job of coaching that Kirk and staff have ever done. Poor clock management, special teams, predictability on offense and defense were the main issues.
- Vet players didn't step up to overcome the backups playing. The D line to me was a disappointment based on expectations. Defensive backfield was out-of-position all season. Whether this was a scheme problem or lack of execution...I don't know. Stanzi seemed to be too concerned about making a mistake. I'm sure the staff wanted him to cut down on the INTs, but it took away from his "swagger". Last year, even after throwing a pick 6, he was usually "spot on" the next series and beyond. This year I had no confidence in him putting together a game-winning drive at the end of a game. He seemed to lock in on receivers all season long.
- There had to be some leadership issues within the team. The team just seemed to know it was going to crack at the end of games.
- I think the team missed Norm more that anyone would let on. Norm is known for his in-game or halftime adjustments, that didn't seem to happen this season without him. This should be a sign that when Norm retires the new DC should not be hired from within.
- There has to be some changes made for next year. That doesn't necessarily mean firings, but schematic changes and philosophies have to be adjusted significantly. The Northwestern game was the game I was most concerned about before the season began. If fans can predict the teams we will struggle with why can't the coaching staff recognize those same teams and make adjustments. I usually have more confidence in us beating teams like Wisconsin and OSU than teams like Indiana and NW. The team has simply become too predictable on both sides of the ball. It makes me think back to the end of Tom Davis' coaching tenure at Iowa. The press would get scorched for lay ups and Mr. Davis stubbornly stuck with it despite some teams (Georgia comes to mind) having lay up practice against it. That situation, though, should be a sign that it wouldn't necessarily be good for the program for Kirk and staff to leave.
- Lastly, it would not completely surprise me, though, to see Kirk leave after this season. I live close enough to Omaha to have paid attention to Dana Altman and the Creighton situation. Coach Altman appeared to be set for life at Creighton, but when he started getting some heat and lose a little "control" of his team, he surprisingly left. I'm not predicting that Kirk will leave, but it wouldn't completely surprise me either. He may feel the need to get out while he still has some value. Only difference between Kirk and Dana is that Kirk's contract is probably a little more stable.

Altman also took another job, only to back out less than a week later only a few years before that. He had been ready to leave Creighton for a while.

Latest posts