2010 Iowa Football: What Happened?

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
http://www.hawkeyenation.com/football/iowa-2010-what-happened

I am going to try and lay out what took place this season and leave opinion out of it, until the end. That’s probably going to prove too tough to accomplish, but this is an exercise for me as much as it is for everyone else. Quite a few things happened this year that contributed to the 7-5 record.

AUGUST

-Brandon Wegher shows up for a couple of practices, then leaves the team for personal reasons, never to return. What effect did this have on team chemistry? We know what effect it had on the depth chart.
-A few days into camp, Marcus Coker breaks his collar bone, keeping him on the sidelines all of camp and the early portion of the season, which is significant for a young player who would later be called upon. Very significant, especially in areas like pass protection, where trust is most definitely earned.
-RG Adam Gettis injured, something that would linger
-PK Dan Murray injures his hip, would not play in 2010.

SEPTEMBER

-Backup OL Josh Koeppel was hit by a truck while riding his moped. He was in a battle for the starting center position, and this was just before the season opener
-OG Cody Hundertmark leaves the team. He was listed as the reserve right guard behind Adam Gettis on the Eastern Illinois two-deep roster which came out on August 27th. Iowa’s first practice of the EIU game week was Tuesday the 31st. On Wednesday September 1st, Iowa released a statement saying Hundertmark was leaving. This was in part because Nolan MacMillan had passed him by and was going to start the EIU game. This was something that didn’t seem big at the time but would have consequences eight weeks later.
-Norm Parker undergoes surgery and has a foot amputated following the Iowa State game. He never returns in full capacity as Iowa’s Defensive Coordinator
-Jeff Tarpinian suffers an injury that would reverberate throughout the rest of the season. The staff had incredibly high expectations for Tarp, who would have been nails in pass defense situations.
-His backup, Bruce Davis, suffers a season ending knee injury against Arizona
-Jewel Hampton injures his knee against Arizona, lost for the season
-Jason White injured covering a kick. He was an emerging kickoff coverage star
-Mike Meyer wins place kicking job, affects his distance on kickoffs later in the year

OCTOBER

-Brett Morse misses Michigan game due to injury suffered against Penn State
-Jeremiha Hunter is injured and misses a game, never 100% after
-Tyler Nielsen cracks a vertebrae, lost for the year; he had been doing an excellent job in pass coverage and open field tackling on the edge
-Troy Johnson injured, was in and out of the lineup the rest of the year
-James Morris and Shane DiBona pulled from kickoff coverage due to being on LB depth chart
-Iowa starts a true freshman MLB for majority of season due to Tarp & Davis injuries; Morris was good beyond his age, but pass coverage was an issue late
-Gettis and Nolan MacMillan injured, did not return to action the rest of the regular season
-Walk on Josh Koeppel starts RG for final third of season. With Hundertmark gone, Iowa was starting their 4th string RG for the final four games of the year.
-Adam Robinson suffers first concussion, misses Indiana game, never really the same afterward; is it coincidence that Ricky Stanzi’s performance tailed over his last four games, the four games after the injury to Robinson, which occurred with Robinson getting hurt in the fourth quarter of the MSU game up 37-6? Robinson is one of the best blocking running backs I have seen play at Iowa.
-Dakota Getz injured, had been a key player on special teams coverage units and might have been a factor later in the year at Iowa’s ‘LEO’ LB position after Tyler Nielsen was injured along with Troy Johnson’s injuries. Kirk Ferentz said the week before the Indiana game that Getz would have been the LEO option had he not been injured.
-Adrian Clayborn injures leg against Wisconsin; was he the same after that injury? CLICK HERE to see the play I am speaking of
-Julian Vandervelde injured, forced some reshuffling of the line for a brief period

NOVEMBER

-Ross Peterson began playing a role at linebacker in the Indiana game, as well as against Ohio State and Northwestern. He was at least the 10th linebacker Iowa was forced to use this year in plays from scrimmage.
-DJK & Marvin McNutt both suffer injuries in at least two games, but don’t miss any games
-Colin Sandeman injured against Northwestern, missed Ohio State game & taken off punt return game for Minnesota.
-Robinson concussed for second time against Ohio State, misses game against Minnesota
-Iowa loses both starting cornerbacks in game vs Minnesota, including 1st Team All Big Ten Shaun Prater

COACHING DECISIONS

-End of game situation against Wisconsin, of which Kirk Ferentz said the following: “Well, in retrospect, I wish we had clocked it quite frankly. And we had an 11‑seconds play in there, which is interesting, the one where Reisner ran out of bounds, that took 11 second, part of our thought and for whatever, the sneak took one second, I’m not so sure that happened. We thought the clock was going to be down under ten when ‑‑ after the sneak. That was our thinking. Retrospect, I wish we had clocked it. I think we ended up with 12 on the clock after the sneak. I’m not sure how that happened. But anyway, that was part of the thinking. Retrospect, I wish I had done it over, could do over. I can’t. So, live with it.”
-Ferentz would also joke later in the year that he needed to read the book on time management.
-The fake punt that Wisconsin converted late in the game after the defense had forced a second straight stand in the fourth quarter
-The decision to have Adam Robinson in the game in the fourth quarter of the MSU game up 37-6, which is when he suffered his first concussion.

SPECIAL TEAMS

-Blocked PAT’s vs Arizona (could have taken a 28-27 4th quarter lead) and Wisconsin (one-point loss)
-Offsides on a kickoff against Wisconsin where Iowa covered Gilreath inside the Badger 20, only to rekick and he returned it to the 50
-Blocked punt against Arizona
-Kickoff return for TD vs Arizona, poor kickoff coverage for most of the year. Injuries affected this later in the season
-Missed 40 yard field goal against Ohio State in a three-point loss

GENERAL

-Had fourth quarter lead in final four losses, and tied the game in the fourth quarter against Arizona

END OF OBJECTIVE FACTS...ENTER OPINION

I realize that assigning blame is one of the most common emotions when things don’t go as you would hope. Perhaps there are more items to add to this list, and if there are I am sure you will post them below or on the message boards.

As for my opinion, I recall Kirk Ferentz talking in the 2006 & 2007 seasons, when things were not going so well. He kept saying that execution was the heart of the problems while I had other things in mind. The rebound of 2008 and 2009 proved his execution comments accurate, and my thoughts on offensive philosophy changes something other than right.

The 2010 Iowa football team was unable to execute when it needed to. This team lost five games by a total of 18 points. Before the season began, I felt Iowa would be favored in every game with the exception of the Ohio State game, which I felt would be a field goal advantage for OSU. That proved to be right, and Iowa had fourth quarter leads in every one of its Big Ten losses, and tied the game in the fourth quarter against Arizona after digging themselves an unbelievable hole.

While many folks are still way down in the dumps and don’t want to read this, the truth of the matter is the 2010 Iowa football team was on the edge of greatness, even in the face of so much attrition, attrition that piled up at the same positions. When you play 10 linebackers from scrimmage, your 4th string right guard starts a third of the season and your 4th string running back starts two games late in the year after missing the majority of practices your team had all season, that can add up.

Some could say, if they put down their angst, that this team overcame an incredible amount of adversity and it’s somewhat surprising they were in a position to win every game in November after the cruel month of October, as cited above. Taking the Norm Parker absence into consideration, Iowa lost a great leader, but Kirk Ferentz lost one of his best friends and a great football mind, a resource he could tap every day of the week. That's huge.

But they came up short, which is what will be mostly remembered.

I am not of the opinion that Iowa needs to alter its offensive or defensive philosophies. Tweaks? Perhaps, and I think Iowa does those things but most are not obvious. Iowa has averaged 8.4 wins per season over the past decade. That’s better than the 8.1 wins per year between 1981-1990 or the 8.3 wins per year between 1982-1991. In that regard, it’s been the most winning decade of Iowa football in school history. (Or at least the best season in Iowa history that anyone alive today has witnessed; the 1918-1927 Hawkeyes won 70% of their games.)

While I am disappointed this season didn’t turn out better, I cannot and will not ignore the aggregate or the big picture. I will not throw out the results of the decade based upon unmet expectations this year, especially in light of the attrition that was partly responsible for the end result. Some will say that all teams battle injuries, which is true.

But all teams don’t have to play 10 linebackers in scrimmage plays, all teams don’t get down to their 4th string running back or have to start their 4th string right guard for the final four games. The effects of injuries and attrition are cumulative for every football team, and some programs are hurt by it more than others, especially when the attrition comes at the same positions.

I remain convinced that Kirk Ferentz is THE coach for the Iowa football program. He’s already admitted there are things he’d like to do over if given the chance and privately there are likely more such admissions. I think everyone can relate to that.

So fire away, and speak your mind; Where did it go bad in your eyes? What factors do you give the most weight to?

Last edited:
Wow to sum it all up it was bad. I never did see the picture you mention, highlighted above. I still haven't seen this play since I was at the game and didn't have it Tivoed.

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you forget Koepell hit by a truck.

Now I think about it their was a ton of crap that went down this year.

Last edited:
Great post.

I think we overcome the injuries to an extent if Norm Parker is healthy and active for the entire year. He is one of the best defensive minds in football. If you don't believe it, break down the Orange Bowl where we completely SHUT DOWN one of the best offenses in the history of the ACC. It was unbelievable.

I think losing Norm was an unanticipated, surprising loss that this team could not overcome.

Now, if he can get a little better and participate in bowl preparation, you might have a surprising ending to an unhappy season. The season is not over!

Some could say, if they put down their angst, that this team overcame an incredible amount of adversity and it’s somewhat surprising they were in a position to win every game in November after the cruel month of October, as cited above.

Never had any angst to put aside, you summed up my feelings about this season pretty darn well.

This team may be 7-5, however, it is a very good football team. This is a team that is better than their record. And before someone starts spouting hyperbole, those teams exist. There is luck involved in football. Just look at the Hawks this season - lady luck did not smile on Iowa in 2010 they way she did in 2009.

I look forward to the bowl game, and next season.

There is luck involved in football. Just look at the Hawks this season - lady luck did not smile on Iowa in 2010 they way she did in 2009. .

No doubt. Last year's team had quite a bit of adversity on the injury front too...and they were able to execute down the stretch, where this team did not. Some of that IS luck. Sash's pin ball INT vs Indy is one such play that comes to mind.

After Dace went down, Iowa went 2-2. 1-1 without A-Rob, 1-2 without Stanzi.

And another reminder of why my 12-0 prediction was unrealistic. Attrition is going to happen. You just cant expect it to pile up at the areas you can least afford it, like LB

Losing Angerer and Edds was going to be hard enough. Losing 3 of their replacements was too much to endure. And remember Hunter was hurt for a couple games, too.

On O, the senseless ARob injury v MSU was the turning point, imo. He, and the O, were never the same thereafter.

No doubt. Last year's team had quite a bit of adversity on the injury front too...and they were able to execute down the stretch, where this team did not. Some of that IS luck. Sash's pin ball INT vs Indy is one such play that comes to mind.

After Dace went down, Iowa went 2-2. 1-1 without A-Rob, 1-2 without Stanzi.

And another reminder of why my 12-0 prediction was unrealistic. Attrition is going to happen. You just cant expect it to pile up at the areas you can least afford it, like LB[/QUOTE]

This is very true. We lost 2 GREAT LBs last year and then to lose their replacements that were supposed to step in. That's like jumping from A all the way to C or D or even F, when you hoped to put in option B.

The team played it's best (except for Minny) and I applaud them for that, there was just a lot stacked against them.

Great write up Jon. Next man in eventually got replaced with next kid in. Thats a lot of adversity in one season.

Injuries, special teams, coaching decisions/clock management. I would've liked to have seen a little more creativity on the offensive side of the ball as well - especially with the talent we had at the skill positions. For some reason the DL didn't live up to the hype either.

Jon - we play one more game a year now than we did in 1980-1999.

Just something to keep in mind, and since that is a NC game, it is almost always against a gimme opponent.

Jon - we play one more game a year now than we did in 1980-1999.

Was waiting for this.

1981-1990 122 games
1982-1991 122 games
2001-2010 at present, 125 games

At best, its a wash..and we are still talking about one of the best decades ever in Iowa FB history

So here's my question: Why does Iowa seem to have so many more injuries than other teams the last few years? Everyone talks about how good the coaching is in teaching fundamentals. And everyone talks about Chris Doyle. But I thought a good Strength and Conditioning program is supposed to reduce injuries. And coaching kids how to move around on the field so they don't get injured. It seems we simply shouldn't have as many injuries

Another thing, they talk about how the Ohio State's of the country can reload easier. Can they? Doesn't every team have to have a maximum number of players, and a maximum number of coaches, so you don't have those teams go to their 8th string running back, who's still as a good as our 2nd string?

So here's my question: Why does Iowa seem to have so many more injuries than other teams the last few years? Everyone talks about how good the coaching is in teaching fundamentals. And everyone talks about Chris Doyle. But I thought a good Strength and Conditioning program is supposed to reduce injuries. And coaching kids how to move around on the field so they don't get injured. It seems we simply shouldn't have as many injuries

Another thing, they talk about how the Ohio State's of the country can reload easier. Can they? Doesn't every team have to have a maximum number of players, and a maximum number of coaches, so you don't have those teams go to their 8th string running back, who's still as a good as our 2nd string?

Any comparison to Iowa's program to Ohio State's is a waste of finger strength. And they had their top two backs healthy all season.

Heck, this was the best decade in Iowa football history, by a slim margin. Here is the comparison:

1981-1990: 81-39-4, 68% winning percentage, 4-5 record in bowls, 0-3 in BCS bowls

2001-2010: 84-41-0, 67% winning percentage, 5-3 record in bowls, 1-1 in BCS bowls

There is a limit but when your top 2 or 3 guys at every position are 4 or 5 stars, it's much easier for next man in when your #3 guy is a past walk on. Talent is a big deal when you have injuries. That's why Iowa isn't just reloading. It's not as easy for us to replace a Tarp (though not a 5 star) he has worked very hard for 5 years and is a player, but when you replace him with a freshman (again not a 5 star) you can't expect the same production.

Latest posts