'20 5-Star PG Jalen Suggs Impressed with Hawkeye Fan Support

RobHowe

Administrator
Iowa played host to one of the top players in the 2020 recruiting class. HN caught up with Minneapolis point guard Jalen Suggs to see how things went with the Hawkeyes:

LINK

Iowa played host to one of the top players in the 2020 recruiting class. HN caught up with Minneapolis point guard Jalen Suggs to see how things went with the Hawkeyes:

LINK

Who says Fran doesn't go for top tier PG's? This kid is an obvious stud. His game is so smooth. Sooner or later Fran is going to get one of these blue chippers. Imagine a trifecta of Suggs, McCorkle and Foster. I think I might faint if we were ever that loaded.

this would be a huge get, I heard something about him maybe being the top player in his class eventually?

FM needs to lock down Catron first. He’s a must get pg for FM. Suggs would be over the moon. Nice job being in the conversation. I just hope courting Suggs doesn’t hurt Catron’s recruitment.

FM needs to lock down Catron first. He’s a must get pg for FM. Suggs would be over the moon. Nice job being in the conversation. I just hope courting Suggs doesn’t hurt Catron’s recruitment.

Isn't Carton a heavy Wisconsin lean? I haven't calculated scholarships for 19 cycle but I would imagine Jackson-Davis is the higher priority.

Isn't Carton a heavy Wisconsin lean? I haven't calculated scholarships for 19 cycle but I would imagine Jackson-Davis is the higher priority.

Baer, Ellingson and Wagner all graduate next year so 3 scholarships open up for 2019. One of those will go to Patrick, so 2 are still available.

I still think someone transfers after this year. Possibly Maishe Dailey, or maybe Ellingson grad transfers. If Ellingson did transfer, his scholarship would open up in '18 instead of 19, so the '19 class would only have 1 open scholly unless Fran just banked it.

Sounds like we have more then a foot in the door with him so that's good. Not holding breath on landing him just because he can go literally anywhere he'll want. But at least we have a shot and if Iowa has a monster year this year who knows...

Pretty cool that Fran has been able to get these types of guys out on visits. It has helped us a ton that we’ve been recruiting for the 2019 and 2020 cycles for some time due to Weiskamp’s early commitment.

We have had a handful of high 4 Star and 5 Star talents on campus this fall. While it is unlikely that we will land many, if any of these kids I like that Fran is going for it. If we can manage to keep Foster in state and somehow nabbed one or two of these guys we would be looking at a really strong squad for years to come.

Pretty cool that Fran has been able to get these types of guys out on visits. It has helped us a ton that we’ve been recruiting for the 2019 and 2020 cycles for some time due to Weiskamp’s early commitment.

We have had a handful of high 4 Star and 5 Star talents on campus this fall. While it is unlikely that we will land many, if any of these kids I like that Fran is going for it. If we can manage to keep Foster in state and somehow nabbed one or two of these guys we would be looking at a really strong squad for years to come.

You are correct, getting them for visits is a big step IMO. The fact we are able to get visits from them, show them a great time at the OSU game and let them see ICITY is a pretty cool place is big. Someday we'll get one of these guys if we keep getting visits. The fact we have Patrick and Wieskamp in the bank already has to be intriguing also for a potential recruit. Those guys running the floor with you is legit, and we are still within driving distance from home.

Baer, Ellingson and Wagner all graduate next year so 3 scholarships open up for 2019. One of those will go to Patrick, so 2 are still available.

I still think someone transfers after this year. Possibly Maishe Dailey, or maybe Ellingson grad transfers. If Ellingson did transfer, his scholarship would open up in '18 instead of 19, so the '19 class would only have 1 open scholly unless Fran just banked it.

I don't see Ellingson going anywhere at this time. He will see lots of minutes this season. Baer on the other hand is going to be fighting tooth and nail for minutes at the 3 and 4. He strikes me as an Iowa kid through and through though. So I don't expect either one to go anywhere. Dailey is almost a for sure transfer though. He didn't want to redshirt last year and isn't going to see any playing time as a Sophomore and will probably stay buried behind Bohannon, Moss and Connor throughout his career. I don't anticipate he sticks around for that Senior year where he could see some good minutes.

3 scholarships sounds like we could bring in PMac Jackson-Davis (I'm super high on this kid) and still have another scholarship to dole out to biggest position of need. I would guess PG/SG. Since Bohannon can play the 2 and probably so could Connor it leaves flexibility to get the best player available in either position. I really think we need to reload on a go to scoring guard. Ellingson will be gone and Moss and Bohannon will be seniors when these kids come in. So I think we need another lights out shooter. Go find us a Kingsbury Fran.

You are correct, getting them for visits is a big step IMO. The fact we are able to get visits from them, show them a great time at the OSU game and let them see ICITY is a pretty cool place is big. Someday we'll get one of these guys if we keep getting visits. The fact we have Patrick and Wieskamp in the bank already has to be intriguing also for a potential recruit. Those guys running the floor with you is legit, and we are still within driving distance from home.

Yes I believe we land 1 or 2 of these McDonald's All Americans over the next 3 cycles. The recruits we have banked should and is getting us consideration from blue chippers. I really think we need a strong season to break the glass ceiling though. Win the B1G or make and Elite 8 and bam at least one of these kids in the pipe will be swayed.

Ideal Classes over the next 3 years:

2018: Wieskamp, Frederick
2019: Pmac, Jackson-Davis, Carton
2020: Foster, McCorkle

Personally I don't think we get Suggs, although would love to have him and it's great getting these types of kids on campus.

Certainly more interesting to read than the Lick/Alford recruiting threads...of yore

Elite PG...an Ignitor...the missing piece...

Fran will have somewhere between 3-6 guys to replace in 2020 (Dailey, JBo, Cook, Pemsl, Moss, Kriener). I'd say Suggs and Foster would be a decent start

Ideal Classes over the next 3 years:

2018: Wieskamp, Frederick
2019: Pmac, Jackson-Davis, Carton
2020: Foster, McCorkle

Personally I don't think we get Suggs, although would love to have him and it's great getting these types of kids on campus.

One thing that just came to light for me is just getting these kids on campus also probably raises an eyebrow of some of the 4* type kids we have a better shot at and helps land them. "If _____ is looking at Iowa and visiting, maybe I should too."

One thing that just came to light for me is just getting these kids on campus also probably raises an eyebrow of some of the 4* type kids we have a better shot at and helps land them. "If _____ is looking at Iowa and visiting, maybe I should too."
Agreed completely. Good thought indeed. Definitely helps the culture.

Sure doesn't hurt.

Very cool that we're at least getting a visit from a 5* recruit. Commitments are another thing completely, but I remember a time about 8-9 years ago where 4-5* players were like "Eh, thanks but no thanks". Gotta think if we keep getting visits, that eventually, Fran is gonna break through and land one of them.

If the program is going to take that next step, it all starts with an uptick in recruiting. Positive momentum will hopefully start to snowball and draw even more high-end recruits... Not that I ever expect us to recruit like Kentucky, etc. but I like the way things are going. The fact that there's even interest is encouraging, to say the least.

Last edited: