1st g-league None and done.

mopkins

King Kong
Decomitts from Syracuse and will go from high school straight to the g league.

This will set an very interesting precedent for the future of college basketball

Good for him. It's a much better decision that going to college for 1 year.

Completely agree. What's funny is the Syracuse fans ripping on the kid and telling him what an awful decision it is.

A non drafted g league player I think makes 26k max a year which isn't much but he will also hire an agent who will take care of him

Completely agree. What's funny is the Syracuse fans ripping on the kid and telling him what an awful decision it is.

A non drafted g league player I think makes 26k max a year which isn't much but he will also hire an agent who will take care of him

That is a great point. Now the kid could sign with the highest bidder agent wise, do his one year in the G league and then off to the NBA. I think we will see more of this, as before the kids figured WTF, we will take 10K-100K (depending on how good you were) from colleges, but now with the Feds on that case, why even *uck with that, just go straight to the agents.

glad to see it. college sports needs to remain amature. but believing an agent will take care of this kid is a risky proposition. i hope the G league is heavily structured so that these kids aren't exploited.

If this movement gains some traction in the next five years it may very possibly benefit non blue bloods and schools that perenially finish in the second or third tier of their conference standings. Like Iowa, for example. I think our graduation rates are solid and most of the kids who are here take academics seriously. We will still get those kinds of kids. Competing conference schools and national blue bloods not getting one and dones anymore may level the playing field a bit.

Like posters have said, this could help the kids if their good enough. They can get immediate endorsement opportunities and not have to pretend to be students. They can focus on their craft full time. Baseball has had a similar system for decades, even more so back in the day. And if they can't cut it they will find out sooner than if they had spent several years in college and they can also waste less time getting on with their lives.

Last edited:
I think this is a good idea, but I hope to hell that G-league employees are upfront with kids who want to pass on college but aren't good enough to make it.

Because it won't take many kids skipping college, washing out of the G-League, and ending up on Outside The Lines explaining that they're in prison for selling crack because they're broke to get the bleeding hearts bitching about "The Man" taking advantage of disadvantaged city kids.

If this becomes trend rather than anomaly, I'd bet you see first year salaries go way, way up.

I think this is a good idea, but I hope to hell that G-league employees are upfront with kids who want to pass on college but aren't good enough to make it.

Because it won't take many kids skipping college, washing out of the G-League, and ending up on Outside The Lines explaining that they're in prison for selling crack because they're broke to get the bleeding hearts bitching about "The Man" taking advantage of disadvantaged city kids.

If this becomes trend rather than anomaly, I'd bet you see first year salaries go way, way up.
Your first paragraph is so key to whole idea. Hundreds of thousands of teenage kids each thinking they have what it takes to get one of about 500 jobs. And "advisers" adding fuel to the fire. How will the kid respond if a respected talent evaluator looks them in the eye and tells them their not quite good enough. When they've probably never been told that in their life.

Even though the academic stuff would end up being a joke, I think a kid would be smarter to do the one and done route in college, hopefully getting the once in a lifetime experience of going to the Big Dance and having a higher profile for the NBA draft.

I do get the other arguments and there's something to be said for them.

This has happened before and almost never fairs well for the athlete. Because of talking heads like Jay Bilas and others pushing for college athletes needing (more) compensation while not actually providing any details of how that would work, and ignoring Title IX. Because of this, we may not have college athletics in 15 years.

This reminds me of the video game NCAA Football and how that ultimately went away because players were told they deserved to be compensated due to their likeness. College football players felt they deserved to be compensated for their likeness in video games and in return each received a check for $47, was it worth it? 99.99% of college football players would rather sign a waiver and see themselves in an NCAA Football game than receive $47.

Your first paragraph is so key to whole idea. Hundreds of thousands of teenage kids each thinking they have what it takes to get one of about 500 jobs. And "advisers" adding fuel to the fire. How will the kid respond if a respected talent evaluator looks them in the eye and tells them their not quite good enough. When they've probably never been told that in their life.

This is probably where it is heading. Once the one & done rule is abolished many of the 5 star kids will be gone, basically all the normal one and done players will go pro every year. So then you look at the next tier of players. Those guys that are ranked outside the top 20 high school players, they're going to be the ones targeting the G league.

With the money involved now, I'm all for players getting compensated. But I'd hope it was a more formalized, structured arrangement, and not agents or boosters just giving kids bags of cash to attend their alma mater.

I wish basketball, football and baseball would adopt a system where a high school player, or an underclassman in college, could be drafted by the professional league, sign a pro contract with a signing bonus, but be allowed to stay in college.

For example, what if an NBA team saw pro potential in Joe Weiskamp. They could draft him in the second round, sign him to whatever signing bonus that would be equate to (say $200K) and he gets to play at Iowa as planned. It's a win for Iowa since they'd get a good player, the NBA team could monitor his progress easier if he's here in the states vs going to Europe for a couple years, and the player gets to play NCAA ball with some money in his bank account.

Same for football, what if an NFL team wanted to draft Epenesa this spring. He could sign with the team, cash in on a signing bonus, but stay at Iowa to further develop for the next couple of years.

I think this would be really beneficial for NCAA baseball. Imagine the talent in college if the best high school players could still get their signing bonuses but instead of bouncing around in minor leagues for 3-4 years, they get to enjoy the college life.

I'm sure this would never happen, but seems like the fairest way to get kids paid and still keep college sports filled with the best talent.

Why do we care so much about the well being and education of people we have never met? Let them go right after high school......If they figure it out, great.....if not, so be it. Not everyone who makes this decision will be a cautionary tale.

Why do we care so much about the well being and education of people we have never met? Let them go right after high school......If they figure it out, great.....if not so be it. Not everyone who makes this decision will be a cautionary tale.
I don’t care.

In my post I just mentioned the “bleeding hearts” that’ll come out of the woodwork bitching about it as soon as a few flunkies try the G-League and can’t cut it, and then are banned from playing college ball.

There are plenty of social justice warriors who will whine about how “the system” is stacked against poor kids, and how it’s “the man” keeping kids down and forcing them into being degenerates because they can’t afford college now without sports. Can’t you hear Jemele Hill now, telling us to kill whitey?

Same as it is now except the focus will be on the NBA and not the NCAA.

If the NCAA and NBA would just eliminate the one and done, and give a 1 season grace period (basically allow one season of paid ball and still keep college eligibility), it would eliminate the corruption problem completely because the one/two and dones are the players getting the bribes. It would also let players who got too big for their britches to have a second chance.

With the money involved now, I'm all for players getting compensated. But I'd hope it was a more formalized, structured arrangement, and not agents or boosters just giving kids bags of cash to attend their alma mater.

I wish basketball, football and baseball would adopt a system where a high school player, or an underclassman in college, could be drafted by the professional league, sign a pro contract with a signing bonus, but be allowed to stay in college.

For example, what if an NBA team saw pro potential in Joe Weiskamp. They could draft him in the second round, sign him to whatever signing bonus that would be equate to (say $200K) and he gets to play at Iowa as planned. It's a win for Iowa since they'd get a good player, the NBA team could monitor his progress easier if he's here in the states vs going to Europe for a couple years, and the player gets to play NCAA ball with some money in his bank account.

Same for football, what if an NFL team wanted to draft Epenesa this spring. He could sign with the team, cash in on a signing bonus, but stay at Iowa to further develop for the next couple of years.

I think this would be really beneficial for NCAA baseball. Imagine the talent in college if the best high school players could still get their signing bonuses but instead of bouncing around in minor leagues for 3-4 years, they get to enjoy the college life.

I'm sure this would never happen, but seems like the fairest way to get kids paid and still keep college sports filled with the best talent.
Title ix, everyBODY gets paid!

That's happening now with guys that go to college and don't make the NBA. There are former UNC-CHeat basketball players with bogus AFAM degrees, working on road crews or in jail.

That's happening now with guys that go to college and don't make the NBA. There are former UNC-CHeat basketball players with bogus AFAM degrees, working on road crews or in jail.
I agree, which is why I said what I did. People are looking at this as a solution, but until the NCAA stops trying to prevent kids from making any money playing sports this doesn’t do squat.