17% of Wisconsin Football Tickets Go Unused

I would not be surprise if half of the no shows were students that got too drunk to even make it into the stadium.

I was there in 2009, and the student section was mostly empty at kickoff. It didn't get totally full until the 2nd quarter. Once in the stadium, they were great fans, but extending the their tailgate party was higher priority than the game.

Unused and unsold are two different things. Unused doesn't surprise me as much as unsold would.

I remember 2-3 years ago when Iowa's season tickets were sold out, i was doing some research on other B1G team prices, capacity, etc. I could easily get single game tickets to most Wisconsin games for under $40. And this is a program that has been to 3 Rose Bowls 2011-2013.

You have to remember there is SO much to do in Wisconsin in the fall - like the Dells or sitting in a tree waiting for a deer to walk by, for instance. Many competing interests!

They had a poor home schedule this year. Marquee games were BYU and Penn State, and the PSU game was after Thanksgiving.

I guess I'm not surprised they had so many no-shows.

Attendance and sellouts are becoming a topic for many schools across the country (recent article on Georgia, as well as this one-not to mention Iowa not selling out a game this year). I'm bit sure if it's the weather to blame, ticket prices, the game day atmosphere, the home experience that can now be achieved; or a combination of all.

I would venture actual attendance and stated attendance across the Big Ten will be down for the 2013 season. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons. I believe the major reason is the ticket costs along with the costs to travel to the games. This could be due in some way to quality of non-conference opponents and the way schedules set up. If the price for the tickets isn't justified by the schedule the desire to attend wanes.

A contributing factor this year was the weather, it was rotten; it was too hot during the beginning of the season and too cold at the end. Many of those that can afford to attend are older and it may keep them at home. Student interest seems to be a problem across the conference.

Attendance and sellouts are becoming a topic for many schools across the country (recent article on Georgia, as well as this one-not to mention Iowa not selling out a game this year). I'm bit sure if it's the weather to blame, ticket prices, the game day atmosphere, the home experience that can now be achieved; or a combination of all.

How about people not making enough money especially since the 2007-8 financial-economic crash.

Casual fans not thinking a college football season means anything once National Championship aspirations are toast probably doesn't help either.

Latest posts