16-17 vs. 17-18

99topdawg

While we didn't have a spectacular season last year, we still won 19 games. Looking at the stat comparison, what's the difference between the two seasons? Did we win more games than we should have last year or too few this year (based on the stats)?

16-17.................17-18

17.7 assists/gm 18.3

17.3 opp ast/gm 16.2

13.9 to/g 13.4

80.5 ppg 79.4

78.1 def ppg 78.5

45.4 fg% 48.0%

44.5 fg% allowed 46.3%

37.9 3pt% 37.8%

35.8 3pt % allowed 37.3%

While we didn't have a spectacular season last year, we still won 19 games. Looking at the stat comparison, what's the difference between the two seasons? Did we win more games than we should have last year or too few this year (based on the stats)?

17.7 assists/gm 18.3

17.3 opp ast/gm 16.2

13.9 to/g 13.4

80.5 ppg 79.4

78.1 def ppg 78.5

45.4 fg% 48.0%

44.5 fg% allowed 46.3%

37.9 3pt% 37.8%

35.8 3pt % allowed 37.3%
If you’re a follower of KenPom we are actually a better offensive team this year than last year.

Last year we finished 71 in the KenPom so we probably won more games than we should have.

Currently we sit at 99 in the KenPom, but here’s the unbelievable part. KenPom actually has us at 24 in offensive efficiency. Top 25! If our defense even had a pulse this year we’d probably be a decent team.

Jok would be the difference. He gave you nothing on the defensive end, but he was a legit number one scoring option on offense.

Unlike this year, they had a handful of games where they played pretty good D.

Imo, the offensive numbers will always be good under Fran. Given Fran’s philosophy and/or approach his teams will always get buckets.

Since the marginally worse defensive stats cannot explain the horrific defense we watch, game-in / game-out, there's only one conclusion ... Refs are clearly disrupting our defensive flow, nailing our key guys with 2 early fouls, forcing Fran to sit them for extended minutes.

You would think Delany would recognize what an exciting product Iowa basketball is to watch and tell the refs to swallow the whistle a little more during their games. That way, Iowa would be more successful, get more TV exposure and really rise to being the flagship of the conference.

CamancheIAHawk

Jok would be the difference. He gave you nothing on the defensive end, but he was a legit number one scoring option on offense.

Unlike this year, they had a handful of games where they played pretty good D.

Imo, the offensive numbers will always be good under Fran. Given Fran’s philosophy and/or approach his teams will always get buckets.

I agree Jok was the difference and here is why I believe so. Jok was masterful at running through multiple screens and getting open from anywhere, be it baseline, wing or top of the key. And, Jok has such a quick shooting motion and high release point on his jumper, he only needed a smidge of room to get his shot off. And, at 6'6", it was tough to block his shot.

Where does that come into play? At the start of the B1G season, Iowas seemed to allow 2 to 3 10-12 point runs, per game, and the cumulative affect was 30 unanswered points and having to claw back. We lose by double digits. That has improved to just one unanswered double digit run, but we cannot come back from it. My point is, that Jok's real value was being the answer to those kinds of runs, last season. Jok could hit 2-4 3 pointers in a row in a consecutive possessions, thus (minimizing) opponents runs. We don't have anyone that can do that, this season.

We need better defense. Period. I hope Fran hires a top defensive ast coach this off season to re-evaluate our defense.

Hmm, it's interesting that TOs are actually better by 0.5 per game this year. That got me looking for opponent TOs ie extra possessions for Iowa vs last year.

16-17 Opponent TOPG = 14.29
17-18 Opponent TOPG = 11.31

That's basically 3 more possessions per game this team had a year ago vs this year. 2.5 I guess if you throw in the 0.5 more turnovers per game a year ago.

So this does correlate to the better offensive efficiency and worse defensive efficiency that kenpom is stating compared to last year's team.

17.7 assists/gm 18.3

17.3 opp ast/gm 16.2

13.9 to/g 13.4

80.5 ppg 79.4

78.1 def ppg 78.5

45.4 fg% 48.0%

44.5 fg% allowed 46.3%

37.9 3pt% 37.8%

35.8 3pt % allowed 37.3%

I think it comes down to defensive efficiency and turnovers. Iowa seems to be turning the ball over more which creates more possessions for their opponents and opponents are scoring more points per possession on Iowa this year than last.

Last year's defensive efficiency was bad (1.026, 200th in the nation) but this year is on another level (1.081, 304th).

If Fran could coach even average defense, I believe this team would be in the NCAA tournament this year.

I'd like to see a points in the paint comparison. It seems like our bigs have forgotten how to defend the drive or forget to help on the drive. It looks like their stuck in the mud trying to move laterally or appear ill prepared for the first defender getting beat.

Maybe it's because in practice they don't have a pg that can beat anyone to get them accustomed to slide over.

If we were in 1966 our team would dominate like Kentucky did...but then get owned by a faster texas western team full of athletes.

The points per possession stat just skyrockets too: This year it's 109.8, and last year it was 102.7. I mean 109.8 is just astronomical.

Iowa State's defense this year is hot garbage and it's at 104.5.

Last year we had a senior/leader. That makes a huge difference. Eleven of the 14 teams in the Big 10 have at least 1 senior averaging at least 4 points per game. The 3 teams that don't have a senior averaging at least 4 points per game are all in the bottom 5 of the standings.

Also, how we turn the ball over is killing us. How many times do Moss, Bohannon, etc. get their pocket picked for an uncontested layup or dunk? Or "insert any Hawkeye player here" has a bad pass picked off for an uncontested layup or dunk? It seems like it happens at least a couple times a game. A great defense can't prevent those points. And now our very good offense doesn't get a chance to score.

Next year is all about basketball IQ and defense IMO. I have zero concerns with the offense.

We are finding out Jok was a better defender at the 2 than moss and a hell of a better scorer. We also miss Williams defense at the backup 1 spot compared to Dailey . Jok and Williams were also better rebounders than those mentioned .

Oh my! I had to like and respond, since you and I almost never agree on anything, but I am right there with this post.

This was one of the most interesting basketball threads this season. Thanks for sticking to the topic and some great analysis on Iowa's team. NO sarcasm.

Its crazy that the stats are so close between the two seasons...

Looking for differences...people already mentioned points per possession. Also last year our SoS was ranked 62, this year its 39.

IMO the main difference is Peter Jok. Jok was a senior leader, he was fearless, he took nearly 15 shots per game, he wanted the ball in his hands. The young guys counted on him to do everything and looked up to him. That's a huge void this year that nobody has been able to fill. Uhl, Baer, Wagner, Ellingson? Those guys aren't exactly your upperclassmen that can take control and own a game.

Its crazy that the stats are so close between the two seasons...
It is crazy and its not even like we went from winning some nail biters to losing nail biters. Last year we generally lost the close games. Fran has a bad record in those situations. This year we're losing the close games and getting blown out quite a bit too. That's a big swing.

It is crazy and its not even like we went from winning some nail biters to losing nail biters. Last year we generally lost the close games. Fran has a bad record in those situations. This year we're losing the close games and getting blown out quite a bit too. That's a big swing.
Actually we did win several close ones last year. Michigan (OT), Purdue, @ Wisconsin, and Indiana (OT).

We are finding out Jok was a better defender at the 2 than moss and a hell of a better scorer. We also miss Williams defense at the backup 1 spot compared to Dailey . Jok and Williams were also better rebounders than those mentioned .

He definitely had better awareness or intelligence defending, but that should be expected with a senior being compared to a freshmen.

I think the real reason he would his defensive stats were better was because who Jok was defending was much more winded from the effort needed to try to contain Jok on the opposite end. Defense by good offense. He had decent length too of course.

His physical effort and technique was rather poor, but awareness was not too bad.

Latest posts