12th team help Iowa?

StickUP

Does a 12th team help Iowa financially? Dividing the contract by 12 means less money for Iowa. How does a 12th team raise revenue?

Adding only one team to get to only 12 makes financial sense only if that team is Notre Dame or Texas or a team of that stature. Those are big time schools with a very large national appeal, which turns the BTN from 18k gold to 24k. In my opinion, those schools (or one of that calibre) are the only single invitations that will be offered. If UT or ND are not interested, they will go to 14 teams or will stay at 11.

If that team is indeed Pitt I think that will help Iowa immensely. You probably end up with a West division with: Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Indiana. Iowa should mop up with that division. That alone would be financial incentive enough. Being in the championship game at least every other year would bring in some money.

If that team is indeed Pitt I think that will help Iowa immensely. You probably end up with a West division with: Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Indiana. Iowa should mop up with that division. That alone would be financial incentive enough. Being in the championship game at least every other year would bring in some money.

I think the perception of this division would ultimately hurt Iowa. I don't see any teams from the B12 North thriving in their current situation. What it does IMHO is give teams like Kansas, KSU ect small windows of opportunity that weren't as available before. That's about it.

In this scenario, the B10 East division would immediately become media darlings and the B10 West would be the also ran. The addition of Nebraska, ND, Texas ( I believe none of which will ever happen) would help Iowa as it would allow for a confrence alignment with some notable power. As tough as Iowa and Wisconsin can be, they do not have enough history to carry a division by themselves in terms of respect.

Iowa is much better off competing against the current B10 than they would this allignment IMHO.

I think the perception of this division would ultimately hurt Iowa. I don't see any teams from the B12 North thriving in their current situation. What it does IMHO is give teams like Kansas, KSU ect small windows of opportunity that weren't as available before. That's about it.

In this scenario, the B10 East division would immediately become media darlings and the B10 West would be the also ran. The addition of Nebraska, ND, Texas ( I believe none of which will ever happen) would help Iowa as it would allow for a confrence alignment with some notable power. As tough as Iowa and Wisconsin can be, they do not have enough history to carry a division by themselves in terms of respect.

Iowa is much better off competing against the current B10 than they would this allignment IMHO.

I see your reasoning. But, on the other hand Iowa would be in an easier division making it slightly easier to win the division and play in the conference championship game. Iowa would probably not be playing Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State in the same year more than twice every eight years. Two of eight years Iowa would not play any of the three. This assumes an 8 game Big Ten schedule with Iowa playing 5 west division teams and three east division teams annually on a rotating schedule.

Latest posts