10 years from now: Football...

kirby

10 years from now: Football...

will be almost exclusively what is going on at WVU--no RBs, or if there is one, he will be interchangeable as slot WR....the 4-3 defense will also be obsolete, as will the 240lb middle LBer.

10 yrs ago, what teams were doing this stuff? Boise St.? Maybe tiller at Purdue?

Personally, I'm not sure I like it?

The NFL has devalued rbs already and i'm not sure why this trend would stop.

Unless your USC, Alabama, LSU, Florida St & Florida. They'll continue to run tradional or semi tradional offense and defense and beat the living **** out of the WVUs of the world because they have better players, particularly on defense.

If you are a team like Iowa or Wisconsin with a few great players but not like the powerhouses mentioned above, I think you'll see these teams start to put their best athletes on defense and then just recruit big guys on offense without too much speed on offense. If you can get some stops against these spread teams (why you focus on putting your athletes on defense) then pound the rock on their smaller defenders and control the clock, that is how we win games now and how we always will 100 years from now.

ah, there's the "FOOTBALL IS CHANGING" post that always comes...been waiting for it. I've been hearing for years about how "football is fundamentally changing" well...I'm pretty sure there will always be teams that still do it the old fashioned way (like us) and I am glad for that. It's cyclical like someone else said anyways.

I remember when Rich Rod came to the conference....everyone was like "He is going to revolutionize the way the Big Ten teams play offense...."....mhm.

Things tend to be cyclical.

That's a common myth...or rather a oft misused cliche'. SOME things tend to be cyclical. Others move forward in a linear fashion and do not regress to the past.

Let me know when that horse and buggy thing, or 8-track tapes come back. I'm sure we'll all go back to land-line telephones in a few years too.

Football...like most all sports... is speeding up. Iowa football is not.

I thought watching tOSU, the offense they ran, horizontal, and read at the line, is something like what Iowa is trying to accomplish?

That's a common myth...or rather a oft misused cliche'. SOME things tend to be cyclical. Others move forward in a linear fashion and do not regress to the past.

Let me know when that horse and buggy thing, or 8-track tapes come back. I'm sure we'll all go back to land-line telephones in a few years too.

It will speed up. Defenses will change and get lighter and recruit a different type of player to counter it. At this point in time, the circle will be complete and fullhouse wishbone will make a triumphant return

Horrible, horrible. Technology grows exponentially, but football is not technology. You cannot develop and mass produce a football player that makes all others obsolete, so comparing them to cars and horses is not an apt analogy.

It's so funny that you think that was such a slam dunk argument that you repeated it over and over.

actually, it looks like Belichick, the "brains" of the NFL, is going back to a power running game. and he's using TE's almost exclusively when he can. his offense now looks very old school. so, what to say about that?

it's very similar to the 3-4 versus 4-3 talk. the 3-4 was huge in the late 80's, then everyone went away from it for awhile. now a lot of teams are doing it again. its how football and sports works.

now, if the NFL keeps changing rules to basically make it impossible to stop the pass, there will be no cycle.

Alabama is doing just fine running a very traditional system, what about them? in the end, the team with the best players playing together wins. style is only successful when it highlights your strengths.

Horrible, horrible. Technology grows exponentially, but football is not technology. You cannot develop and mass produce a football player that makes all others obsolete, so comparing them to cars and horses is not an apt analogy.

It's so funny that you think that was such a slam dunk argument that you repeated it over and over.

Lighten up, Francis. An errant click...big deal. (repeating it once in error...is "over and over"?)

It was not a direct "analogy", that is a inferred correlation or equivalence between two otherwise dis-similar things. I simply listed examples of things that are not...cyclical. And it's certainly not limited to technology.

There's no "argument" to be made. While some things do tend to be cyclical, many do not. That's reality.

Lighten up, Francis. An errant click...big deal. (repeating it once in error...is "over and over"?)

It was not a direct "analogy", that is a inferred correlation or equivalence between two otherwise dis-similar things. I simply listed examples of things that are not...cyclical. And it's certainly not limited to technology.

There's no "argument" to be made. While some things do tend to be cyclical, many do not. That's reality.

Sure.

actually, it looks like Belichick, the "brains" of the NFL, is going back to a power running game. and he's using TE's almost exclusively when he can. his offense now looks very old school. so, what to say about that?

it's very similar to the 3-4 versus 4-3 talk. the 3-4 was huge in the late 80's, then everyone went away from it for awhile. now a lot of teams are doing it again. its how football and sports works.

now, if the NFL keeps changing rules to basically make it impossible to stop the pass, there will be no cycle.

Alabama is doing just fine running a very traditional system, what about them? in the end, the team with the best players playing together wins. style is only successful when it highlights your strengths.

The Alabama's of the world can run whatever the hell the want because they get the top 10 percent of recruits. The rest of the country doesn't always have that luxury.

It will speed up. Defenses will change and get lighter and recruit a different type of player to counter it. At this point in time, the circle will be complete and fullhouse wishbone will make a triumphant return

Exactly Jon nailed it...defenses will continue to get faster and lighter...and then...coaches will begin to take advantage of that by going Wisconsin/Iowa/etc and developing a big nasty OLine that will push the defense around....it's one big circle.

Exactly Jon nailed it...defenses will continue to get faster and lighter...and then...coaches will begin to take advantage of that by going Wisconsin/Iowa/etc and developing a big nasty OLine that will push the defense around....it's one big circle.

Hey I said it before Jon did! :mad:
:D

As time goes on quarterbacks are getting more and more accurate. It is becoming harder and harder to defend the pass. For the most part the teams that recognise this are the teams that over achieve. Of course there are examples of teams that stick with the run and are successful but Alabama is not one of them because they would be good no matter what the do.

Latest posts