1 thing the doubters are missing...

NEHawkeye

I have not seen a team yet effectively stop a healthy Weisman - and that opens things up and keeps an improving D fresh.

did he ever recover after MSU last season? I know he played some... (I didn't watch too many games after MSU).

We could run the ball decent last year... our problems are more complicated then if wiesman can run for 100 yards or not.

did he ever recover after MSU last season? I know he played some... (I didn't watch too many games after MSU).

2012 Game LogRushingReceiving
DATEOPPRESULTATTYDSAVGLNGTDRECYDSAVGLNGTD
9/1@Northern IllinoisW 18-17284.060000.000
9/8Iowa StateL 9-6000.000133.030
9/15Northern IowaW 27-16241134.716333311.0210
9/22Central MichiganL 32-31272178.0343000.000
9/29MinnesotaW 31-13211778.44413124.080
10/13@Michigan StateW 19-16 (2OT)261164.5371252.570
10/20Penn StateL 38-14591.850166.060
10/27@NorthwesternL 28-179212.37022010.0150
11/3@IndianaL 24-21No statistics available.
11/10PurdueL 27-24No statistics available.
11/17@MichiganL 42-1716633.91403113.7131
11/23NebraskaL 13-729913.1120000.000

Statistics provided by Mark Weisman Game By Game Stats and Performance - Iowa Hawkeyes - ESPN

I don't think any team totally stopped Weisman. But they have limited him. Also I wouldn't necessarily lump all the doubters into one bag. There are a lot of us who love the Hawks yet have doubts from week to week. And even though we came off a great win, there is a little doubt as to whether the Hawks will continue the improvement. But we all hope that our doubts are wrong.

I don't think any team totally stopped Weisman. But they have limited him. Also I wouldn't necessarily lump all the doubters into one bag. There are a lot of us who love the Hawks yet have doubts from week to week. And even though we came off a great win, there is a little doubt as to whether the Hawks will continue the improvement. But we all hope that our doubts are wrong.

Well said.

This team is still severely limited in the passing game. When an actual real defense (read, not ISU or a MAC team) loads the box to stop Weisman, who's going to step up and make a play down the field? The answer is no one. It only took a couple of wins against some really bad teams for the kool aid drinkers to come back out in full force. We haven't even gotten to the lack of pass rush and problems in the secondary yet. This is an average team that's about to play a few more average teams and few really good ones. I expect a couple more wins, a few ugly losses, and some nailbiting, kick-your-dog defeats. If this team can get to 6-6 we can throw a parade and all head down to Detroit or Dallas and watch us lose to some mid major that nobody has ever heard of before. Hooray.

Last year Davis and JVB were so collectively inept I felt like the bowl practices would have been counterproductive. This year, we really are young and I'm seeing incremental improvement each week. You can bash some second tier bowl game all you want, but I really hope we can land one because it could help springboard this team to better things next year, especially with the relatively soft schedule we rotate into. Not gonna lie, three wins might be tough, but I've been underwhelmed with the teams on our schedule save for OSU.

This team is still severely limited in the passing game. When an actual real defense (read, not ISU or a MAC team) loads the box to stop Weisman, who's going to step up and make a play down the field? The answer is no one. It only took a couple of wins against some really bad teams for the kool aid drinkers to come back out in full force. We haven't even gotten to the lack of pass rush and problems in the secondary yet. This is an average team that's about to play a few more average teams and few really good ones. I expect a couple more wins, a few ugly losses, and some nailbiting, kick-your-dog defeats. If this team can get to 6-6 we can throw a parade and all head down to Detroit or Dallas and watch us lose to some mid major that nobody has ever heard of before. Hooray.
This is extreme. No, we shouldn't be ready to crown this team champions, there are still plenty of issues. BUT, they are young in a lot of areas, and seem to be improving. Let's just be cautiously optimistic that this trend continues.

Look at the four teams you are basing that of off this season so far.
I think Northern is prolly better than Minnesota and our rival, Purdue. If we can win those two and pick up just one more with some luck and a bounce or two, I will be really happy with this season.

I think Northern is prolly better than Minnesota and our rival, Purdue. If we can win those two and pick up just one more with some luck and a bounce or two, I will be really happy with this season.

That certainly is not out of the question. But I'd think both Minnie and Purdue have D-Lines that average more than 260 like northern IL.

wow. He mad. ^^

Miserable is a choice.

While this fan base shouldn't be planning any trips to the Rose Bowl just yet, the fact that this team is winning should be a positive. As already mentioned, what other team other than OSU has shown the ability to run us off the field this year? That doesn't mean pencil in 8 or 9 wins, but there isn't a team on the schedule Iowa doesn't have a real shot at beating. And for three reasons:

They are much better at stopping the run this year
They have the ability to run the football much more effectively this year
Jake Rudock's poise and command on the football field is a major upgrade from JVB

The next 8 games will come down to finding ways to win close games. It has every year with KF. It will be no different this year. Do I believe they will find ways to win those games? Not entirely. KF's conservative nature and Davis' offensive mindset still scare me, but I don't think this team will be overmatched on the field by anyone other than OSU.

Minneasota looked pretty good stuffing the run last week. This is going to be a good measuring stick for our Oline and backs saturday we will find out a lot about our team. GO HAWKS!

Latest posts