Boom - Deacon Hill

I don’t know how you even begin to do that at Iowa. Unless there’s a ton of money involved how do you even approach a really good prep or someone in the portal and still get taken serious? I mean maybe you could make some promises about having a new OC and so on but I’d think it would be like trying to sell snow to an Eskimo.
I'm just going to have to send you the Beach Boy's "Kokomo" to brighten your outlook on the beloved Hoageyes.

Johnson & Arland Bruce were 4* recruits. Charlie Jones, Smith and Smith-Marsette were certainly good receivers. Just my opinion I think Kaleb Brown will be a big weapon, if there is a QB on the roster that can hit him when they're open. Kaleb B was a very high level tOSU recruit and the highest ranked Iowa recruit at that position. A more WR oriented offense. Lachey can stretch the defense from what would traditionally be a receiver's spot in the formation, as well.

We all know the offense cannot be worse. We have a new OC that can only be better than the last. The new OC was a QB, and when give a free hand showed a big upside at WMU. Whoever plays QB will be better than whoever played QB last season. The O line will probably be better just through added experience and size with no more than the typical last season improvement in their NFL prospects. A little tougher schedule but 10-2 is still possible, and that is an outstanding season at Iowa.

...and finally, Iowa is really due for some injury luck. The last few seasons have seen horrendous bad luck, the Oline and the receiver's rooms have been wiped out by injury at times. Lost the starting QB to a no contact injury. Had two All-Big Ten level TEs and then Iowa suddenly is starting the third string TE. Those have been like Biblical plagues and surely aren't likely to happen again. The RB group is deep and has some big play threats.

Plenty of reasons for optimism, not the least of which is the extreme low probability of worse offensive play. Take a hit of the Hawkeye heroin pit and see how this goes when the boys hit the field.

Last edited:
This pretty much guarantees Lainez is gonna be the dude after the first couple weeks. Which is ok in my book.

McNamara’s knees aren’t gonna hold out (google academic studies on the recurrence rate after multiple previous knee injuries) and an FNG isn’t going to learn the system quickly enough now that spring ball is done. Even if someone could learn it quickly, Iowa isn’t going to get a stud in the portal regardless.

GO MARCO!

KF hates using you because you run, just like he hated using Banks. Go out there and prove to that bag of cobwebs that the future of Iowa football for the next year or two isn’t to stand under center and get sacked waiting for a one star receiver to get open.

You’re gonna have to get this thing done yourself, Marco, and us reasonable true Hawk fans have your back. Forget about what the old crusty codgers on HN say.

Had a strong impression and expressed my suspicions with how Lester was giving Marco a lot of reps in the spring.

Loved Banks and was very frustrated what we had to suffer through the year before because of old stubborn pants.

Marco speed and allusiveness possibly could add a whole new dimension to the offense if he can develop his passing capabilities.

I get what you're saying, but that fantastic season was 3 years ago, and in those 3 years since he's played in a total of 8 games, been plagued by injuries, and last year in the games he did play in he was 51.1% with a 106.2 rating. How many guys have you seen in history come back from multiple injuries like that and get the job done?

Was part of his poor QB play due to his receivers and OL being sub par? Yep. But Marco Lainez has at least shown briefly that he can compensate for those shortcomings with his feet which CM and Hill can't. We haven't seen a guy who could scramble that well since CJB. I get that he had a hell of a year in '21, but it's getting long enough in the past that you have to ask yourself at what point is that still the thing that gives him the edge.

Agreed,

The air went out of the balloon somewhat for me when he sustained his first injury by just falling down in practice with out contact or harassment. QB’s have to be more durable than that.

None of that makes him a miss. He got injured in camp. He was literally playing on one leg during his limited time last season and not to mention he had the worst OC imaginable calling his plays. You can't use his play last year when he was injured to declare that Iowa "missed" in bringing him in. That's not supportable. If you want to argue he has a glass jaw, fine. I won't argue against that.

But, if he remains healthy, I will take the sample size I saw for an entire season at Michigan over a quarter of mop up duty that Lainez got in the bowl game where he was running for his life. And stop romanticizing, Lainez was not all that fantastic in the bowl. He may have looked better than Mount Hill, but a pile of dog shit taking the snaps at that point would have looked better.

You made some good points and I think he is a glass jaw at this point, BUT I hope that you are right and that he comes back strong. His limping around during spring practice doesn’t help to build confidence.

I thought that last comment was a bit harsh especially since the offensive looked like dog shit too. Any other school and Brian would have been let go at the end of the previous season instead of this pass season. Spineless Gary.

Addition by subtraction. Did anyone here want to see what Hill brought to the table with a second season at the helm? I'm guessing that's a "no".

Marco was a good recruit. As noted above we know he's mobile. He gained more positive yards rushing (63) in than any of the starters over the last four seasons, and probably McNamara, Hill, Petras and Padillo collectively. He's in offense that provides opportunities for QB runs and we know he can do that. Passing, are we already writing a guy off that played one quarter at the end of a blowout loss? I'm sure he was a little wild and hadn't had much work with the guys around him, including the wide receivers. He will improve and I think we may have an offensive in place that highlights his skills. Plus, it would a very weird statistical probability that we have 5 consecutive years of bad QB play. That has never happened since Bob Comings was around-almost 50 years ago.

This negativity for the sake of negativity explains why people all over the Country think Iowa fans are idiotic. Iowa has 11 double digit winning seasons, 3 in the last 5 years. We caught a little ridicule over the terrible offensive play but wins are the only thing that count. We fired the bad OC and brought in a guy with a completely different and more modern looking offense. Tyler Elsberry should win the C job which is a big step us, I think. It looks like another year of outstanding defensive play is forthcoming.

Don't worry, be happy.

Liked the thought process here but why did you have to bring up Todd Lickliter oops I mean Bob Comings? Both were painful to watch. Hayden was a godsend.

Huck, I think its just too early to know what Marco can do, other than run.

Your premise is he didn't show those skills in the 4th quarter of a blowout loss-which really is all we know about Marco. Very small sample of plays. I'm sure the receivers weren't playing very hard and the average at best OL was probably not too excited. Basically the whole offense looked eager to just get it over with in the last two games.

Of course, the added benefit of the OC change. I don't think BF knew anything about QBs. There really can only be improvement.

The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree when it comes to knowing anything about QB’s.

Sorry for all the post at the end here but I was very busy all day and saw a local post about Hill going into the portal. I knew you guys would be all over this. I am just getting caught up on your comments and responding to some of them.

In addition to Hill, the Hawkeyes have signed and lost quarterbacks Alex Padilla, Deuce Hogan, Joe Labas and Carson May to the transfer portal since the 2019 recruiting class.

SERIOUSLY?

People being so harsh on a QB who hadn’t thrown a pass in college football until this year???

“ Hill (6-3, 258) started nine games for Iowa last season once starter Cade McNamara tore his ACL. After appearing in just one game and not throwing a pass in a game at Wisconsin, he completed 48.6 percent of his passes for 1,152 yards and five touchdowns with eight interceptions. He was 6-3 as the starter”

Might add that he lead his team to a ten win season. “I know, I know it was the defense stupid.” Even so I have seen many QB’s that would be happy to have Hill’s stats in their very first season at QB with two injured starting tight ends, a crappy offensive line and a crappy OC to boot.

Can’t help but wonder if some of the angst isn’t caused by Kirk and Brian fatigue?

Last edited:
SERIOUSLY?

People being so harsh on a QB who hadn’t thrown a pass in college football until this year???

“ Hill (6-3, 258) started nine games for Iowa last season once starter Cade McNamara tore his ACL. After appearing in just one game and not throwing a pass in a game at Wisconsin, he completed 48.6 percent of his passes for 1,152 yards and five touchdowns with eight interceptions. He was 6-3 as the starter”

Might add that he lead his team to a ten win season. “I know, I know it was the defense stupid.” Even so I have seen many QB’s that would be happy to have Hill’s stats in their very first season at QB with two injured starting tight ends, a crappy offensive line and a crappy OC to boot.

Can’t help but wonder if some of the angst isn’t caused by Kirk and Brian fatigue?
Familiarity breeds contempt. When people are complaining how Iowa is winning games or complaining about an 8-10 win season kind of school they don't realize how hard it is to win at a little university, not near any urban amenities, without a huge NIL base, from a small state with necessarily fewer in state 4*s, and shitty weather for kids from the south.

Hard to imagine anyone could really grasp Hill's underperformance. Seeing what's in the portal is a better use of the scholarship. That QB from NW might be a good sign and he's probably better than Hill if he had a 73% completion rate in any offense. Although the injuries hurt the offense because it built around running and the injury loss of great TEs they don't make hurt any QB, but not so bad as Hill's completion rate, lack of mobility, and prodigiousness at giving the other team the ball.

But Brian is gone, and I think replaced by a much better OC who runs a QB friendly offense. So, no BF to blame. There are always preseason questions but no reason to assume most of the answers are bad for Iowa.

Last edited:
I'm just going to have to send you the Beach Boy's "Kokomo" to brighten your outlook on the beloved Hoageyes.

Johnson & Arland Bruce were 4* recruits. Charlie Jones, Smith and Smith-Marsette were certainly good receivers. Just my opinion I think Kaleb Brown will be a big weapon, if there is a QB on the roster that can hit him when they're open. Kaleb B was a very high level tOSU recruit and the highest ranked Iowa recruit at that position. A more WR oriented offense. Lachey can stretch the defense from what would traditionally be a receiver's spot in the formation, as well.

We all know the offense cannot be worse. We have a new OC that can only be better than the last. The new OC was a QB, and when give a free hand showed a big upside at WMU. Whoever plays QB will be better than whoever played QB last season. The O line will probably be better just through added experience and size with no more than the typical last season improvement in their NFL prospects. A little tougher schedule but 10-2 is still possible, and that is an outstanding season at Iowa.

...and finally, Iowa is really due for some injury luck. The last few seasons have seen horrendous bad luck, the Oline and the receiver's rooms have been wiped out by injury at times. Lost the starting QB to a no contact injury. Had two All-Big Ten level TEs and then Iowa suddenly is starting the third string TE. Those have been like Biblical plagues and surely aren't likely to happen again. The RB group is deep and has some big play threats.

Plenty of reasons for optimism, not the least of which is the extreme low probability of worse offensive play. Take a hit of the Hawkeye heroin pit and see how this goes when the boys hit the field.

Johnson, Bruce, and Jones left the program because our offense sucks. Those are terrible examples for your point.

Smith and ISM were recruited 8 years ago. The Hawks were fresh off an undefeated regular season.

Kaleb Brown hasn’t shown anything in the playing time he’s gotten.

Regarding injury likelihood, Google the gambler’s fallacy.

I’m not saying the offense will be worse. What I’m saying is that because of the extended poor offense that KF let go on too long under the tutelage of his dip shit kid, there’s a reason why we can’t get a better than serviceable QB or WR to sign here. That’s going to be a really, REALLY bad thing here very shortly.

It seems to me that Lainez has the athleticism to run the Lester offense. He seems like a solution. Hill wasn’t the answer.

We held mighty Michigan to 211 yards in the game last year. With a mobile quarterback, that game could have been much closer. Michigan just pinned their ears back against Hill.

The one thing about Brown I think that gets glossed over a lot is he didn't play WR in HS. He was a running back that didn't run routes or catch the ball all that much at all. He did spend 1 yr at OSU redshirting and learning the WR position though. But that's about it. I think we are pretty dang lucky that kid has both came here and stayed so far. Taking my Hawkeye glasses off it's tough to understand why he'd do this but I'm glad he has. Hopefully Lester can really develop and use him. First things first having a healthy qb to work with that's not named Hill should help a ton too

Johnson, Bruce, and Jones left the program because our offense sucks. Those are terrible examples for your point.

Smith and ISM were recruited 8 years ago. The Hawks were fresh off an undefeated regular season.

Kaleb Brown hasn’t shown anything in the playing time he’s gotten.

Regarding injury likelihood, Google the gambler’s fallacy.

I’m not saying the offense will be worse. What I’m saying is that I don’t think that because of the extended poor offense that KF let go on too long under the tutelage of his dip shit kid, there’s a reason why we can’t get a better than serviceable QB or WR to sign here. That’s going to be a really, REALLY bad thing here very shortly.
I thought Brown looked good towards the end of the season, especially playing in such a mess of an offense.

Fair enough. "lost" was probably a poor choice of verbs. Guys leave for various reasons, some because they can't cut it, others because they want something different, and a ton of other considerations.

Iowa needs to figure out QB and WR yesterday. Those positions have been woeful this decade.
No worries. You write for a living and are not always going to pick the perfect word to encapsulate your message. Hell, I just missed McNamara's ranking by about 25 spots. Its why pencils have erasers.

I agree on QB and WR. I think the change in coaching on both fronts will help and I think just a change in system and messaging will do wonders. Iowa was stuck in a rut under BF.

BF demonstrates the corporate principle that a worker will rise through the corporate ladder to the level of their incompetency. BF is a good coach. He is. He was just a bad playcaller and had no business trying to mold a QB room. Whether you like the Lester hire or not, he has deep experience in the QB room as a player and coach, and he has deep experience calling plays. The bar is so low, and I think he will make the offense below average again instead of a laughing stock.

You made some good points and I think he is a glass jaw at this point, BUT I hope that you are right and that he comes back strong. His limping around during spring practice doesn’t help to build confidence.

I thought that last comment was a bit harsh especially since the offensive looked like dog shit too. Any other school and Brian would have been let go at the end of the previous season instead of this pass season. Spineless Gary.
I hope all of us understand that none of us are criticizing the person. I am sure Hill is a great young man and he was put in a bad position due to a lot of bad coaching decisions. That said, he was just a trainwreck at QB. If you are going to be a giant immobile QB (which has existed much since Dan Fouts and Marino) you better be able to throw a football through a peach bucket. Even Stanley brought some mobility to the picture and he threw a decent ball. There is just nothing to work with with Hill. He is just not a DI QB. I wish him well but his departure is about the best news of the off season because blindly loyal KF would probably play him again....

I thought Brown looked good towards the end of the season, especially playing in such a mess of an offense.
He's a fluid athlete that's for sure. He can run routes and get open. Just working on using his hands and timing with QBs. He's dropped more then he should and I'm sure he'd admit that. Having our full arsenal of guys out there not just Cade but Lachey as well should really help. Lachey is an absolute stud. There's no reason he shouldn't be used as a bell cow leader of the passing game. If he's one on one with anyone smaller & slower he's open. Lining those two guys up on the same side will provide issues for defenses.

SERIOUSLY?

Yes... Not the kids fault he never shoulda been thrown out there to begin with. That's on the Ferentzs. We weren't this bent about when Jake Christensen couldn't even throw to his RBs out of the backfield wide open. And he was supposed to have been a good QB. Hill had zero expectations. He was a throw in we took cause Budmayr had ties to him when he came and we needed the body.

Yet back when JC was stinking it up even he had a shorter leash then what Hill got. That's what kinda perplexed me. Hill not being any good just is what it is. But continuously putting him out there week after week and then for the bowl game and then to keep giving him all the 1st team reps this spring just made no sense considering Labas and Lainez both were healthy capable bodies worth giving reps to. That's all on the coaches and they should be 2nd guessed and questioned about that.

I hope all of us understand that none of us are criticizing the person. I am sure Hill is a great young man and he was put in a bad position due to a lot of bad coaching decisions. That said, he was just a trainwreck at QB. If you are going to be a giant immobile QB (which has existed much since Dan Fouts and Marino) you better be able to throw a football through a peach bucket. Even Stanley brought some mobility to the picture and he threw a decent ball. There is just nothing to work with with Hill. He is just not a DI QB. I wish him well but his departure is about the best news of the off season because blindly loyal KF would probably play him again....

I get it and I understand. I am relieved for both, him and the fan base. We all seen the same thing. He was struggling mightily.

We also all know that Kirk has a very stubborn personality ESPECIALLY when it comes to the QB position. It’s like he gets stuck in cement and is hell bent that he is going to prove he is right.

I understand as I was feeling similar feelings that most forum members were openly expressing. I hope he can find a nice school close to home in California and as many have stated I wish him the best.

I also appreciate his graciousness in his parting comments.

No worries. You write for a living and are not always going to pick the perfect word to encapsulate your message. Hell, I just missed McNamara's ranking by about 25 spots. Its why pencils have erasers.

I agree on QB and WR. I think the change in coaching on both fronts will help and I think just a change in system and messaging will do wonders. Iowa was stuck in a rut under BF.

BF demonstrates the corporate principle that a worker will rise through the corporate ladder to the level of their incompetency. BF is a good coach. He is. He was just a bad playcaller and had no business trying to mold a QB room. Whether you like the Lester hire or not, he has deep experience in the QB room as a player and coach, and he has deep experience calling plays. The bar is so low, and I think he will make the offense below average again instead of a laughing stock.

Yep, the medium or average is probably in the mid to upper sixties range which means being ranked in the seventies would technically be below average and at this point that’s a significant improvement.

We have all walked through a hot dessert without water all day. You finally stumble upon someone who has nothing to drink but hot and flat beer. Are you going to say nah I’ll pass???

Totally agree that Hill played far too much last season without giving a backup playing time, and a chance to win the starting spot. With that said, and Hill fortunately "over the hill", a doff of the cap to how KF handled the transfer announcement.

After the final practice, KF commented about a play where the receiver was open, but Hill sailed the pass 2 yards over his head. He said come Fall, we just cannot do that. My guess is that pass (and the fact that Hill threw 2 pix, including a pick 6) during the scrimmage portion, and he had at least one fumble, cemented in his mind that Hill just wasn't going to make the improvement needed to be someone he could put on the field next season. He gave Hill the entire Spring to improve, but it just didn't happen.

So my guess is they met privately, and he "encouraged" Hill to "voluntarily" go into the portal. (And it's likely Tim Lester was part of the meeting, and deserves credit as well). I give KF credit for taking that approach, and for not making a public spectacle out of it. That way Hill could make the announcement as his decision, and leave (as much as possible) with his head held up, and thanking everyone for his time at Iowa.

Credit to Hill as well for taking the high road in his comments about leaving. We wish him the best!

Latest posts