Interesting News at QB

Teddy

Still have a few friends that access inside football information. Although I read this somewhere recently, like last few days, but it seems QB is being targeted in the portal. Also, the likelihood of Hill hitting the field seems very low. Looking more at a one year QB in the portal.

FWIW-this guy is usually pretty spot on. More so after he's been boozing all day rewatching the Iowa loss.

Still have a few friends that access inside football information. Although I read this somewhere recently, like last few days, but it seems QB is being targeted in the portal. Also, the likelihood of Hill hitting the field seems very low. Looking more at a one year QB in the portal.

FWIW-this guy is usually pretty spot on. More so after he's been boozing all day rewatching the Iowa loss.
You talking about the Ohio State qb? I saw a tweet that he contacted Kalib Brown and told him he's really interested in Iowa when the portal opens.

You talking about the Ohio State qb? I saw a tweet that he contacted Kalib Brown and told him he's really interested in Iowa when the portal opens.

That guy seemed like a gamer. I know OSU fans were in a hurry to get rid of them, but when it comes to OSU QBs, their trash could certainly be our treasure.

The OSU QB is from Pierre, South Dakota. Maybe a I90-I29-I80 road trip to games? Closer to home?

I don't know why football would be looking for a one year backup? If Cade's healthy won't he be the guy? I can see Marco beating out Deacon for backup, have we given up on Marco?

Our new OC is just now getting to know all his QBs. I guess you can never have too many.

I don't think Hill showed anything that would make him a starter next year. At the very least we should get someone who might become a starter the game experience. Whether they come from the portal or not does not matter to me. I just want to see improvement and/or potential.

Welll regardless of who it is, I'm relieved that they're looking for a QB in the portal.

Yeah I've seen rumors of Keinholz being interested. Not sure if there's anything factual about it. OSU has like 6 stud qbs on their roster atm though so I'd imagine more then 1 of them would be looking to leave to go somewhere. Maybe there's smoke to this maybe not. We need a body that I do know. One that'll push Hill either out the door or to the bottom of the depth chart.

Yeah I've seen rumors of Keinholz being interested. Not sure if there's anything factual about it. OSU has like 6 stud qbs on their roster atm though so I'd imagine more then 1 of them would be looking to leave to go somewhere. Maybe there's smoke to this maybe not. We need a body that I do know. One that'll push Hill either out the door or to the bottom of the depth chart.

I thought we were talking about McCord, but I see he is going to Syracuse. Whatever, bring in talent, see who works out.

I thought we were talking about McCord, but I see he is going to Syracuse. Whatever, bring in talent, see who works out.
Yeah McCord already decided on going to Cuse you're right. So that makes 5 qbs on roster not 6. I'm sure he's not participating in OSUs spring practices. Keinholz is I would think. I don't think he's announced he's leaving yet. Portal opens on 16th

Yeah McCord already decided on going to Cuse you're right. So that makes 5 qbs on roster not 6. I'm sure he's not participating in OSUs spring practices. Keinholz is I would think. I don't think he's announced he's leaving yet. Portal opens on 16th
How many years of eligibility does he have?

I don't know why football would be looking for a one year backup? If Cade's healthy won't he be the guy? I can see Marco beating out Deacon for backup, have we given up on Marco?
1. McNamara didn't do anything to warrant being the guy.

2. McNamara has multiple knee injuries. It's pretty well-established that the likelihood of repeat ligament injuries goes up exponentially each time.

3. If McNamara was "the guy" and got hurt, who's there to back him up? The Pillsbury Throwboy, aka Interceptions Incorporated?

4. The question you need to ask yourself is why wouldn't Iowa be looking for a QB. Because I don't see any of tose reasons.

did it ever occur to KF that he was damaging the reputation of the program? that letting the O suck for years on end, that stubornly leaving Brian in the job would impact their ability to recruit?

did it ever occur to KF that he was damaging the reputation of the program? that letting the O suck for years on end, that stubornly leaving Brian in the job would impact their ability to recruit?
KF had one thing on his mind and only one thing. His son being the next head football coach at the University of Iowa.

When you have that much power and influence and you have that lofty of a goal front and center of your mind...you don't think about such details.

That's just it right there... If he was self aware it just didn't matter. He'd rather crater the talent level of players he could get at QB/WR then admit he was wrong keeping BF on as long as he did. He was never going to push BF out no matter what. If it meant KF being forced out he'd have walked that plank for his kid. That's why nepotism is so freaking bad. It puts people in impossible situations to have to navigate. Then someone else like Beth has to come in to clean it up

Maybe he doesn't feel that the program is in trouble? We've had three of our program's best finishes in the last five years. KF is the same coach that hired the DC and the Spec Team coaches.

The BF thing was a catastrophic hire at OC. At the time it was a popular hire, well not in the Never Ferentz crew, but with most fans. Brian was a well-regarded line coach. Many coaches hire their kids. The problem was it turned out bad and KF is stubborn, and it was his kid so the nepotism complaints, while reaching delusional ideation at times, ultimately did bite us in the ass. But he's gone and I like the new guy. BF is yesterday's news.

Who's going to clean out the mess if Goetz cannot raise more money? Iowa needs more money, and our NIL needs significant growth. I'm confident that the Swarm guys know what they are doing. Not yet certain Goetz understand how much more money Iowa needs and how to get it. We will all know about July 1.

The OSU QB is from Pierre, South Dakota. Maybe a I90-I29-I80 road trip to games? Closer to home?

Our new OC is just now getting to know all his QBs. I guess you can never have too many.
Saying this makes me crazy but I think the preference for experience has become an objective that swallows the goal.

This has not been the KF trend: Brad Banks, Big Nate, Jake C, Ricky Stanzi, Jake Rudock, and Nate Stanley all started in their respective second years. The alternative to overemphasis on experience is horrible QB recruiting. Petras, Padilla, Labas, May, and Hill stayed on the field when they the terrible play was obvious. How bad must be the alternatives? Labas looked far better in that bowl game than that list of bad QBs.​

Last edited:
Saying this makes me crazy but I think the preference for experience has become an objective that swallows the goal.

This has not been the KF trend: Brad Banks, Big Nate, Jake C, Ricky Stanzi, Jake Rudock, and Nate Stanley all started in their respective second years. The alternative to overemphasis on experience is horrible QB recruiting. Petras, Padilla, Labas, May, and Hill stayed on the field when they the terrible play was obvious. How bad must be the alternatives? Labas looked far better in that bowl game than most of the list of bad QBs.​
It might be that our offense was so poorly run that the defense had way too easy of a time preparing for it, which in turn made the qbs over the last few years look horrible. For an extreme example to help express my point. Say Iowa hired your average small town junior high football coach to run the offense. By the time there was 4 years or so of tape, you gotta assume that no matter who the players were, average college defensive coordinators would chew us up. I'm nowhere near someone who is qualified or knowlegeable enough to see that happening in real time. But it sure makes sense to me that it's a possibility.

This has not been the KF trend: Brad Banks, Big Nate, Jake C, Ricky Stanzi, Jake Rudock, and Nate Stanley all started in their respective second years. The alternative to overemphasis on experience is horrible QB recruiting. Petras, Padilla, Labas, May, and Hill stayed on the field when they the terrible play was obvious. How bad must be the alternatives? Labas looked far better in that bowl game than most of the list of bad QBs.​
Labas not getting any PT over Hill at any point last yr will go down as one of the more head scratching things of KFs era. Hill was so damn bad. I don't care if he looked like Dan Marino in practice (which we all know he didn't) how he was playing in games couldn't justify keeping him out there that whole time. Be it Labas or Lainez or both they shoulda just gave all equal shots at playing as yr went on. They won games despite Hill. He had nothing to do with them winning any of the games they did. And if the other two sincerely are worse then him how the hell do they have scholarships?

I'm clearly not over all that yet. And I probably won't be till Hill isn't on the roster anymore. The fact he's still there #2 behind Cade blows my mind.

Latest posts