Payton Sandfort Going Through NBA Draft Process

This is no surprise, to me anyway. He's a pure shooter and that's what the NBA requries. I say it's 60-40 that he stays in the draft, maybe highter.

Unless it looks like he's going in the first round, he should come back or go in the portal.

Yep,

I don’t see him going in the first round. He needs one more year of college. There have been several people who think he will go in the portal. What ever he decides to do I wish him the best. Hoping that his best is ahead of him at Iowa this fall and winter.

I heard the draft is way down this year.

But I don't see how he has any shot in the NBA.

They will tell him his defense and ball handling need to be much better.

He's not staying in to get drafted he's just doing what JW did the yr before he ended up going. It's kinda wild to me that so many think he's even close to being an NBA player. Yeah he can shoot. Sometimes, he's streaky as shit. The rest of his game won't translate to the NBA. Look at Joe W he's still toiling in the G league mostly in Maine of all places. I think he's had but a few call ups and 10 day contracts to the NBA but he can't stick. I'd take Joe over Sandfort every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I think this day and age it's a no brainer to at least put your name in the ring to get evaluated. Absolutely no harm, whether good enough or not to get assessed and know where you currently are and where you need to improve. We'll see back in college ball next season and hopefully he'll still be in black and gold.

Yeah, about 0% chance that Py portals, grew up wanting to play at Iowa. His little bro plays here. Py will be the show at Iowa next season. Probably about the same chance of jumping to the NBA, although if an NBA team was willing to wait a couple of development seasons.

Py isn't that far away. I'm thinking All Big Ten.

3rd team Big Ten guys don't typically get drafted - that said, he has a real shot to be 1st team next season and get drafted.

He would be smart to go make some money this season but with his brother here, and if you read his declare statement, he's not leaving Iowa.

Projected second round pick.

He has such a quick release and range. NBA needs shooters/floor spacers. I can see Payton sitting in the corner.

What hurt Joe W is he has such a slow release.
Payton is closer to being a Kyle Korver type of player then JW. He's not the athlete JW is even and JW isn't explosive enough for the NBA either. Neither have a handle to really create for themselves especially at that level. They are dependent players that need others to set them up. Catching and shooting is their specialty. If that's all you're good at are you really a 1st round caliber player? I can't see PS being one next yr either. Look at how tough of a rookie yr Kris Murray has had. He's played more down the stretch this yr but early on he hardly even saw the floor as a 1st rd pick. PS isn't an NBA level player to me he'll have a choice between toiling in the G league or going over seas

Payton is closer to being a Kyle Korver type of player then JW. He's not the athlete JW is even and JW isn't explosive enough for the NBA either. Neither have a handle to really create for themselves especially at that level. They are dependent players that need others to set them up. Catching and shooting is their specialty. If that's all you're good at are you really a 1st round caliber player? I can't see PS being one next yr either. Look at how tough of a rookie yr Kris Murray has had. He's played more down the stretch this yr but early on he hardly even saw the floor as a 1st rd pick. PS isn't an NBA level player to me he'll have a choice between toiling in the G league or going over seas
Payton has a much quicker release than Kris, and probably much greater range. A guy like that can sometimes find a NBA team. NBA level defense might be a problem.

Last edited:

Latest posts