Howard fired at Michigan

actually, it was Wisconsin assistant coach Joe Krabbenhoft he smacked...........and I believe he was involved in an altercation with a staffer at Mich as well.

Howard had a lot more issues than just having the worst Gander team since the late 1960's. Fun read if you are not a big fan of him or his team: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s... suspended Howard,him $40,000 for his actions. His out of control temper was in some ways comparable to Booby Knight. (Not a typo!)

But the head shaker in these types of situations is his buy out is $3M. Maybe he will buy a place near where Scott Frost is spending his buyout in AZ and they can swap stories about their playing days.

Yeah, I had it wrong. I thought Indiana would fire Woodson and Michigan would stick with Howard and the complete opposite happened.

Has the NBA guy, that goes back to his alma mater to become head coach, ever worked?

Last edited:
Dude took Beliens kids to the championship. Never did anything with his own recruits. Let's not make him out to be anything bud a fraud.

Yeah, all you had to do was watch his team play at any point this year, and it was obvious his players didn't know what they were doing -- or were supposed to be doing -- and their confidence, effort and grit was nothing like what Iowa's team shows night in and night out.

Lets see he went to a sweet 16 won a Big Ten Championship and had a lousy year and is gone

I guess the bar is just a bit higher at Michigan
He finished first in the conference once. His other four finishes were 9th, 7th, 5th, and 14th.

He hit an assistant from the opposing team in a hand shake line.

He tried to hit the strength coach for his team during practice.

Bobby Knight with far less winning and half a century too late for folks accepting that behavior.

There is no comparison between Fran and Howard. Anyone trying to do that is just being a dick. Howard deserved to be fired. He is a jackass and not a good leader of young men. I hate Michigan, but they deserve better.

There is no comparison between Fran and Howard. Anyone trying to do that is just being a dick. Howard deserved to be fired. He is a jackass and not a good leader of young men. I hate Michigan, but they deserve better.

Who is making the Fran and Howard comp? That is the dumbest shit ever. If you think that is an apples- to -apples comparison, then you need to back away from the twitter-verse.

Yeah, I had it wrong. I thought Indiana would fire Woodson and Michigan would stick with Howard and the complete opposite happened.

Has the NBA guy, that goes back to his alma mater to become head coach ever worked?
After last night with Indiana getting trounced by Nebraska and Woodsen getting kicked out you may still be right

Dude actually got a longer leash then most due to his name... He was on a 'no tolerance' thing after having slapped the Wisky assistant and yet had an altercation with his own strength coach who then left. It's kinda wild they kept Howard as long as they did. It takes more then name recognition to be able to both recruit and coach nowadays. If one guy had all the built in advantages it was him and he still wasn't even close to making it work.

Who ever thought we'd see the day where OSU and Michigan would unceremoniously get rid of their hoop HCs the same yr? Michigan also had to replace Harbaugh. Their ADs had a pretty busy last 3 months that's for sure.

Who is making the Fran and Howard comp? That is the dumbest shit ever. If you think that is an apples- to -apples comparison, then you need to back away from the twitter-verse.
Go back to the original post, that's where the comparison is. A veiled one. Longtimer has made it clear he'd like Iowa to move on from McCaffery.

As for Howard, I think he was fired more for his temperament than his record. He was somewhat hamstrung by his school's admission policies. Terrance Shannon Jr. was going to go to Michigan but he couldn't get admitted. There were a couple of others as well.

Go back to the original post, that's where the comparison is. A veiled one. Longtimer has made it clear he'd like Iowa to move on from McCaffery.

As for Howard, I think he was fired more for his temperament than his record. He was somewhat hamstrung by his school's admission policies. Terrance Shannon Jr. was going to go to Michigan but he couldn't get admitted. There were a couple of others as well.
Somehow the football coach got enough kids into the school to win a natty. He has to find 25 smartish kids every year, the BB coach has to find what, 2 or 3? Belien did okay at Michigan. Howard was just a shit coach. There are a hell of lot more advantages than disadvantages coaching at Michigan.

To your point on temper, I agree. If you are going to be a hotheaded dickhead, you better also be consistently winning on the court at a high level. Administrations will look the other way if you are winning 25 games a year. Bobby Knight kept his job longer than he should have because he was a winner. Bo Pelini lasted at Nebraska for a while, but when it became clear he could not win more than 9 games and could not beat a good team, he was exited. The media and administration hated him. If he had Mike Riley's personality he might still be there today. Being a dick is tolerated, at best, if you are a winner.

Latest posts