Better next year???

longtimer

Well we could be pretty good offensive team but the question is how good can you be when you don't know how to play defense? To be a great team you have to do it on both ends and McCaffrey teams have never been able to do that

You both maybe right. I was really hopeful for next year but after the last two games why would anyone think that way? Fantasy Island?

Weak on the post play and isn’t our center a senior this year? So who is going to step up in that position? That comes back to playing defense. The post play is a big part of that. Our guards have always been a half to a full step behind on defense. Once you beak down that first line of defense the BIGS have to come out to defend the opponents guards leaving their bigs open under the basket for bunny shots.

Seriously, someone tell me what difference maker is coming in next year to help solve this ongoing problem on defense?

To piggy back off @Dadman, lets see who stays and who goes first and then project the 24-25 season.

Let’s say everyone stays. What players will have the abilty to answer to the problems I mentioned above. Guards that can guard and post players who can protect the front of the rim. Not being smart just a serious question. Is there someone on the bench that is being held out? Is there a really talented guard or post player coming in???

Let’s say everyone stays. What players will have the abilty to answer to the problems I mentioned above. Guards that can guard and post players who can protect the front of the rim. Not being smart just a serious question. Is there someone on the bench that is being held out? Is there a really talented guard or post player coming in???

A team that is 18-14 this year, at minimum would be 23-9 next year if everyone returned. The 4 or 5 bad losses this year would go away next year.

One recruiting service calls one of our recruits the best rebounder in the class. If that's true, that's a good start. If Bowen stays, he has to make a big jump. Dix, Harding, and an improved healthy Bowen would be a good 3 guard rotation.

We need one of the two recruits to step up big and we need Bowen or a guard transfer to step up big. There are some holes to full but every team can say that now with the way the portal is. I think Dix, Harding, Sandfort, and Freeman will be as good of a start as most other conference teams will have. A lot will depend on who leaves and who stays.

A team that is 18-14 this year, at minimum would be 23-9 next year if everyone returned. The 4 or 5 bad losses this year would go away next year.
I think that's true if Perkins comes back and all the non seniors stay. If Perkins leaves, we need to fill a big hole. One that I'm ok with trying at this exact moment.

Looked to me like Tony was saying goodbye to Owen as final seconds ticked. One is gone - God forbid, both!

Hawks need Freeman / Harding. Perk would be nice but isn't crucial.

Well the post play can be well handled by this season's freshman of the year. Py will be around the top scorer in the Big Ten. Ladji and the Tadjo (sp) guy are physical rebounders. Harding is going to become a legend. Dix is likely a volume scorer with more time and more shots.

Riley and Dasonte might move on but no one else is leaving Iowa in the off season.

12012-2013 25-13 9-9 (7th) NIT Finals
1 2013-2014 20-13 9-9 (6th) NCAA 1st 4 in)
2 2014-2015 22-12 12-6 (3rd) (1st Round)
3 2015-2016 22-11 12-6 (3rd) (2nd Round)
4 2016-2017 19-15 (5th) 5th (NIT 2nd Round)
5 2017-2018 14-19 (11th) NTFI
6 2018-2019 13-12 10-10 (6th) (2nd Round)
7 2019-2020 20-11 11-9 (5th) (Qualified but aborted)
8 2021-2021 22-9 14-6 (3rd) (2nd round)
9 2021-2022 26-10 12-8 (4th) (1st round) BTT championship
10 2022-2023 19-14 11-9 (5th) (1st Round)

I'm giving F McC the benefit of the doubt on the first two seasons. The inherited talent was so bad and the few good players (other than Gator Jr.) were usually injured. Leading into this season Iowa had NCAA qualified 8 times, NIT qualified 1 time, and 1 losing record.

I added the NIT Finals. Varying opinions but the NIT Finals isn't nothing.

That is not mediocre ball, particularly in a conference has tough as the B!G. It certainly not rational to throw all that away because we might find a better coach. But overwhelming probability we will find a worse coach. Most coaching changes fail-that's the one probability on which we can count.​

Did I read a post, something about 23-9 next year. Now darn it, you all promised me no drugs while posting to the site. Harding is going to be legend, yeah maybe in his own mind. Let's talk about the spring rowing team, please.

Interesting since Fran hasn't had a single digit loss season at Iowa except for the Covid year and we were gonna get that tenth loss unless we won the BTT and the NCAA. One thing I wanted from Fran outside of a sweet 16 was a couple single digit loss seasons. Didn't even do it with his most talented teams. I am not seeing something he hasn't done as the minimum.

Sorry I totally disagree. I think those 4 or 5 bad losses this year would simply be replaced by 4 or 5 new bad losses next year. The few dependable defenders we have on this team came in as dependable defenders until we can make a commitment from the coaches/returning players on the defensive side of the floor I don't see anything changing.

We have an offense that can score points and will continue to do so because the roster is comprised of scorers. We need fewer scorers and more defenders. Only then will things start to change. But that's only my opinion.

Looked to me like Tony was saying goodbye to Owen as final seconds ticked. One is gone - God forbid, both!

Hawks need Freeman / Harding. Perk would be nice but isn't crucial.
It felt like Tony has been checked out. He really seemed off on senior day too. Whether or not he plays somewhere else next yr I don't know but it sure feels like he's done playing for Iowa. Dix is the one I'm curious about. The rumor is Creighton wants him and obviously that's right across the bridge from home for him.

I'd like to think that Harding Freeman and Dix would make a nice nucleus of young guys returning to build around. If Sandfort comes back that'd especially be nice. But it feels like there's a lot of uncertainty. If Fran leaves on his own then all bets are off it could be a total blowing up of the program. So we'll see what happens the next few weeks. I can't imagine they'll be much interest with the NIT. I sure don't give a shit. I'll watch if I can but I'm not going out of my way or DVRing it.

It is going to be a yearly question to ask about the portal moving forward. Transfers were sort of an afterthought for most of our lives, but now, there is no fanbase that can just assume those who can return, will. It presents perils and opportunities.

I hope PM moves on to something else and leaves with nothing but mutual respect and goodwill. He is a fine young man and has been loyal to Iowa. He just hasn't developed into anything. He has no established skill set to hang his hat on. He is not bad, he is just sort of a minute eater.

Perk is an enigma to me. I guess I hope he comes back because I don't think we will find another athlete like him in the portal, but he sure stunk down the stretch.

The core of Dix, Freeman, Harding, Sandfords, and Dembele must return. Koch is a plug in play starter We need to fine another power forward transfer in the portal. If all that happens, this team could be salty.

Last edited:
It is going to be a yearly question to ask about the portal moving forward. Transfers were sort of an afterthought for most of our lives, but now, there is no fanbase that can just assume those who can return, will. It presents perils and opportunities.

I hope PM moves on to something else and leaves with nothing but mutual respect and goodwill. He is a fine young man and has been loyal to Iowa. He just hasn't developed into anything. He has no established skill set to hang his hat on. He is not bad, he is just sort of a minute eater.

Perk is an enigma to me. I guess I hope he comes back because I don't think we will find another athlete like him in the portal, but he sure stunk down the stretch.

The core of Dix, Freeman, Harding, Sandfords, and Dembele must return. Kock is a plug in play starter We need to fine another power forward transfer in the portal. If all that happens, this team could be salty.
Yeah just looking at it from where I'm sitting Iowa could be better next yr some just by the subtraction of guys like PM and Krikke and replacing them with more mins from an improved Dembele and the younger Sandfort/new guys be it Koch/Tadjo. Not to mention Harding I think his play will improve exponentially with more mins.

PM and Perkins really didn't play well down the stretch to say the least and this team was always going to go as far as TP lead them. He didn't do well and didn't get a ton of help. As good as Freeman has been it's not really fair to hitch the wagons to him. He still had a tough time staying out of foul trouble at times.

Sorry I totally disagree. I think those 4 or 5 bad losses this year would simply be replaced by 4 or 5 new bad losses next year. The few dependable defenders we have on this team came in as dependable defenders until we can make a commitment from the coaches/returning players on the defensive side of the floor I don't see anything changing.

We have an offense that can score points and will continue to do so because the roster is comprised of scorers. We need fewer scorers and more defenders. Only then will things start to change. But that's only my opinion.
I disagree with you saying we will continue to score points because we have a roster comprised of scorers. I think we score points because we spend the entire allotted practice time working on offense. That distinction is important because I think people think our offense is a given so we need to spend time to improve our defense. I agree that we need to, but it will come at the cost of our offense.

I disagree with you saying we will continue to score points because we have a roster comprised of scorers. I think we score points because we spend the entire allotted practice time working on offense. That distinction is important because I think people think our offense is a given so we need to spend time to improve our defense. I agree that we need to, but it will come at the cost of our offense.
This may be an unpopular take but I find it tough to believe that Fran (or any D1 program) spends drastically different amounts of time on O then D. Iowa isn't like an old school Syracuse where they specialized in just one thing. Iowa mixes it up with man and pressing half court and full court traps and multiple different zone defenses. Now they've never been all that good at them but I don't think that's ever been due to any lack of practice or a deemphasizing of it. But just to learn it all I think they spend plenty of time practicing it on the floor and in class room. But defense is largely on what the individuals are capable of and just giving effort wise.

Fran has had a few guys over the yrs that were defensive guys like Woodbury was. But most of the time we had guys like JBo and Peter Jok play big mins who were just never going to be good defenders regardless of time spent on it. Does anyone think Harding will become an elite defender? Cause I don't I think he'll continue to get bullied in this league and they'll have to hide him in zones. Krikke is a terrible defender at this level. Rebraca played out of position guarding 5s most of the time for his 2 yrs with us and struggled alot. Tyler Cook wasn't a great defender. I can go on and on.

Latest posts