Iowa/OSU game thread

“You are what your record says you are.”

This is a NIT team and that is where they belong.
Sadly, I could totally see this team pack it in the first game of the NIT. Dumbfoundingly, they have looked disinterested these past two games when the NCAA was still on the table.

As pathetically unprepared / disinterested and just flat out lethargically bad everyone (sans Sanford and Harding) looks ...
I gotta call a big, fat, embarrassing L at home next week.

This is not just "bad game". As COMPLETELY TERRIBLE as they played this past week, this reeks of something going on inside the program that we'll go, "Ohhhhkay" in exactly 7-10 days.

Have you watched the NBA, lately? Your defensive prowess isn’t the number one thing on the checklist.
If that were true Garza would actually play.. he is like 30per game per 40 min.

Wiescamp much more consistent shooter and better athlete then Sandfort and didn't make it.

This is disappointing since we are facing a 10th seed on a neutral court.
OSU is 6-1 in their last 7 games. There's plenty to be pissed about after this game but the seed of the team that beat is isn't one of them. They're a good team since switching coaches. Our seniors tanked hard. Was rough to watch.

Disappointing effort in a game with a lot on the line. Really makes you wonder where the mindset of this team is, including the coaches.

Hawkeyes shoot a worse percentage from wide open 3s than our opponents on contested 3s. It's unreal how bad we can shoot.

If that were true Garza would actually play.. he is like 30per game per 40 min.

Wiescamp much more consistent shooter and better athlete then Sandfort and didn't make it.

He will test the water, get an evaluation and come back. Which he should do.

OSU is 6-1 in their last 7 games. There's plenty to be pissed about after this game but the seed of the team that beat is isn't one of them. They're a good team since switching coaches. Our seniors tanked hard. Was rough to watch.

Well maybe the key to Iowa basketball is switching coaches.

Well maybe the key to Iowa basketball is switching coaches.
I really wish he would walk (since you can't really fire him with his body of work). I mean I appreciate the job he did getting Iowa back to being competitive, but after 14 years, the train does not move any farther. He is an old coach and has been here awhile. He has the most wins at Iowa, a BTT championship, several NCAA appearances and some wins in it, and a nice, long NIT run to the title game back in the early days. But, the ceiling, for whatever reason, is fixed.

Fans are polarized with his sons. Feeling appears to be mutal with them. I would venture to say money is the only glue still holding this thing together.

Turn the reigns over to someone else.....unless you really need that money.

Last edited:
As watch this, really dawning on me why so much apathy / little excitement. It's just stale bball and SO predictable - like, every game is way too similar.
- Crappy D
- A LOT of missed open shots/bunnies
- At least 1 key guy is shitting the bed (RARE that they all "click")
- Someine ALWAYS in foul "trouble" (and sitting for extended periods)
- Extended periods of missed opportunities
- Generally stinking more than not in "big" / "must win" - winnable games.

Now 2nd half ... Hawks down and will come back to within a cpl / tie with +10 mins ... Too early - wear out - still lose by 8-10.
This is the beat argument for getting rid of Fran that I've seen. A new coach would very likely lose more. But losing different has a certain appeal to it.

Poor shooting, missed lay-ups, unforced T/O’s, missed bunnies, at least 5 missed (and ones), poor composure, did I miss anything? I’ve seen this movie over and over….

All I can say is I am glad the season is over. I had low expectations going into it and Iowa landed about where I expected. I may sound like a broken record, but our bench was pretty poor. Youth was a huge factor and the lack of a productive 6th man added to the problems. OSU's bench outscored Iowa's 37 to 16. Iowa was out rebounded by 6.

Iowa had two transfers to boost depth. Krike couldn't play defense and his offense got neutered after the non-conference season ended. Youth an inexperience will be a problem again. Payton and Dix are the only upper class men unless Perkins comes back. I hope he does, but I'm not holding my breath. I question if the athletic department is committed to improving men's basketball. Iowa really needs to find a couple of upper class men transfers.

Well since the Ladies will be using the gym next weekend I hope the men don’t interfere with their Vibe, God, what a difference in attitude, smarts, and execution.

Latest posts