Iowa everywhere

Yes a complete rebuild is what is needed

I've created...a monster! on Make a GIF've created...a monster! on Make a GIF

Now I'm gonna have to watch Young Frankenstein tonite
Remember. It is “ frunkinsteen”

How do you do that without making it gimmicky? Free pizza slices only goes so far.

Free pizza and free medicinal marijuana to depressed fans? It could be a joint effort that brings administrators and fans together.

If it’s a choice between football and basketball with NIL money I’d go with the football program. Both would be wonderful but if I had to choose……….

This is why I posted in another thread that maybe hold on to Fran because it appears that we may have made our choice to invest in the football program for right now. With a lack of funds better to have a Fran who is at least consistent and competitive.

We need a huge booster who can “Kum and Go” with truck loads of money. Or take the “Bulls” by the horns.

Last edited:
You can never pin something like this down to one game, but I still believe that the loss to Richmond was a major tipping point for a lot of the fan base. You could almost feel the enthusiasm for the program leak out with that loss. All tourney losses sting, but there was something about that one in particular that was a collective gut-punch, and we haven't recovered.

That said - poor performances in the tourney notwithstanding - Fran is not the sole issue here. Winning can cure a lot of ills, but things could be done to at least jump-start things somewhat, such as bringing the students courtside. Enthusiasm is hard to generate and maintain, especially when postseason success is lacking, but it's hard to envision significant improvement simply by changing the coaching staff. There's not going to be a quick easy fix.
That game also came one year after the Oregon loss. Those two losses were crippling for a fanbase who has a crazy weird obsession with the sweet 16.

The lack of a deep run in March means almost 0 to me, personally. I wouldn't trade the consistency that Iowa has had for the last decade for one more game in March on some rando season. I'd much rather a team that is consistenly getting there and giving themselves shots at making a run. That's my personal thought that I don't think many agree with.
To me the season feels over when the NCAA tournament is out of reach. This year it's felt over 4 different times, but there's still technically a chance. But until it's over, the season is extremely fun for me. I look forward to every game and it helps me get through the winter. 6 or 7 years ago when we completely tanked, that winter sucked because I barely even cared when we played by mid January. That's the only year that's happened since Fran's second year.

Losing in the tournament kills me every year. But at least when we lose that game, the season is over and it's spring. Out of sight out of mind. Big D calls me an apologist. I say "apologize for what"? Why apologize for a coach who gives me a fun winter 11 out of 12 years running?

I think CC had created more fans than stolen away although i do think the economy is probably making people choose either or if they do have money for season tickets, and right now the women's team is more exciting to watch and getting better time slots.

I think the main issue is the late weekday start times and the weather. Games should not have a later than 7p.m. start, and even then half the games in a season are played during some sort of winter advisory, why deal with that when, if you are interested, you can just watch on your 80" tv with surround sound.

Side note i think i maybe watched 2 mbb games this year and most of the women's. I had no desire to watch a young team get manhandled because the big ten officals let teams play like the 90's detroit pistons. Iowa MBB would be 100% more entertaining if they played in any other league in the country. I also think if Fran and his young players are all here in two years they will probably win the league.

I like Iowa Everywhere but the gambling talk is too much.
Yeah that's Williams big thing it seems like. Jon Miller has became a pot head but I think he's still not drinking. He'd been an alcoholic for a long time and quit. How many folks fall into that category of being a pot head but not drinking? Maybe more then I realize I dunno I just found that interesting.

That game also came one year after the Oregon loss. Those two losses were crippling for a fanbase who has a crazy weird obsession with the sweet 16.
The Oregon loss was a reality check that we traditionally are not a very athletic squad, but at least the loss wasn't that much of a surprise. The Richmond loss was more of a, "What the hell..." moment for a program trying to salvage the enthusiasm of its already embittered fans.

You can't explain the men's situation without acknowledging that the women are filling the seats. Win more games, get more attention.
True, but even when we had Garza and the Murrays and were nationally relevant, Carver did not have 14k+ in it every night. I understand that CC is a transcedent star and that moves the meter, but I agree with the posts that suggest both things are true: CC's rise has had an impact upon crowds at Carver for MBB, but there were clear systemic problems before CC came along.

I think CC had created more fans than stolen away although i do think the economy is probably making people choose either or if they do have money for season tickets, and right now the women's team is more exciting to watch and getting better time slots.
Agree with this. A lot of the fans filling Carver to watch CC were likely not planning to attend a MBB at all. Like Swifties watching the Chiefs, CC has created new basketball fans. Especially young girls, which is awesome.

But, I am confident that there are some fans who had to pick which game to attend for the week and chose the women over the men.

I like Iowa Everywhere but the gambling talk is too much.

I personally don’t gamble due to my religious convictions. I just ignore those parts of the conversations on videos that I watch. I respect others rights to do so. I know Jon has a lot of experience from all his years following sports and I have a lot of respect for the opinions he offers.

I also respect the opinions of everyone on the forum even thou I don’t always agree with them. I have changed my opinion from time to time after listening to others on here when they explain why they feel the way they do.

Painful experiences like follow and doing game threads when Lickliter was Iowa’s head coach. There was a group of us that were always doing the game threads over on another board on Hawk Central until they did away with their sports forum there.

To me the season feels over when the NCAA tournament is out of reach. This year it's felt over 4 different times, but there's still technically a chance. But until it's over, the season is extremely fun for me. I look forward to every game and it helps me get through the winter. 6 or 7 years ago when we completely tanked, that winter sucked because I barely even cared when we played by mid January. That's the only year that's happened since Fran's second year.

Losing in the tournament kills me every year. But at least when we lose that game, the season is over and it's spring. Out of sight out of mind. Big D calls me an apologist. I say "apologize for what"? Why apologize for a coach who gives me a fun winter 11 out of 12 years running?

Well if that is your perspective that is fine. I’ve been to a few soccer meets for four and five year old children. I enjoy just watching their behavior more than the competition part of it. I am also there just to support my neighbors and friends. Same with same high school games I have been to.

I guess college sports is more of a competitive mode for me. Especially now with the NIL it’s become semi pro. I am not of the Alabama crowd of expecting to play in the playoff every year. We had friends when we lived in Atlanta that were very upset with 11-1 or 10-2 seasons. I would just shake my head at their over the top behavior over losing a game.

Obviously, anyone who has been an Iowa fan as long as some of us on here are not to that level of extremism. I do think it would be awesome to get to experience a championship just once. The loyal fan base of Iowa deserves to experience that just once in there lifetime.

The risk that can affect a sports program is when a fan base reaches a point of indifference to achieving that goal. Coaches are aware of what is tolerated and settle in to that acceptance level and get comfortable with it. It is not until some finally reach their fill of it and start to squawk over it. I was surprised at the “fire Brian” chants at the games. Never thought I would see that at an Iowa game especially with a twenty plus year head coach standing on the sidelines and he being Brian’s father. That was not a good feeling to watch that. It’s sad that it had to come to that point.

I really believe if it had been left up to Kirk that he would have rationalized that we won ten games this past season dispite having the worst offense in college football. This plays into the very point I made in my comments. Comfortability, fan and administrative acceptance. Nevermind having a top rated defense that puts you into the running to finally have a shot at the playoffs.

Brain is gone because of fans displeasure. If everyone just has a luke warm attitude like IOWA STATE fans then there is no desire for making the type of changes that give hope to EVER reaching the mountain top AT LEAST once in a fans lifetime.

I’ve said it in another post about the pleasure and satisfaction I got from the Chicago Bears and Chicago Cubs national championships. Even if it never happens again in my life time. With the top defensive squads we have had recently we can see the peak of the mountain and it’s in range if we just improve our offense to a competent level. This may never happen again where we have this chance.

Last edited:
I personally don’t gamble due to my religious convictions. I just ignore those parts of the conversations on videos that I watch. I respect others rights to do so. I know Jon has a lot of experience from all his years following sports and I have a lot of respect for the opinions he offers.

I also respect the opinions of everyone on the forum even thou I don’t always agree with them. I have changed my opinion from time to time after listening to others on here when they explain why they feel the way they do.

Painful experiences like follow and doing game threads when Lickliter was Iowa’s head coach. There was a group of us that were always doing the game threads over on another board on Hawk Central until they did away with their sports forum there.
I was on that site for years. They didn't really "do away" with the forum. It became totally overrun with spam and they decided it wasn't worth the cost to correct the problem.

There was a poster, I believe Kevin Kunnert was the posting name (he had a different pseudonym for years prior to that but I forget what it was) who tried single-handedly tried to keep it going but it was a lost cause. Too bad, there were some good conversations.

Well if that is your perspective that is fine. I’ve been to a few soccer meets for four and five year old children. I enjoy just watching their behavior more than the competition part of it. I am also there just to support my neighbors and friends. Same with same high school games I have been to.

I guess college sports is more of a competitive mode for me. Especially now with the NIL it’s become semi pro. I am not of the Alabama crowd of expecting to play in the playoff every year. We had friends when we lived in Atlanta that were very upset with 11-1 or 10-2 seasons. I would just shake my head at their over the top behavior over losing a game.

Obviously, anyone who has been an Iowa fan as long as some of us on here are not to that level of extremism. I do think it would be awesome to get to experience a championship just once. The loyal fan base of Iowa deserves to experience that just once in there lifetime.

The risk that can affect a sports program is when a fan base reaches a point of indifference to achieving that goal. Coaches are aware of what is tolerated and settle in to that acceptance level and get comfortable with it. It is not until some finally reach their fill of it and start to squawk over it. I was surprised at the “fire Brian” chants at the games. Never thought I would see that at an Iowa game especially with a twenty plus year head coach standing on the sidelines and he being Brian’s father. That was not a good feeling to watch that. It’s sad that it had to come to that point.

I really believe if it had been left up to Kirk that he would have rationalized that we won ten games this past season dispite having the worst offense in college football. This plays into the very point I made in my comments. Comfortability, fan and administrative acceptance. Nevermind having a top rated defense that puts you into the running to finally have a shot at the playoffs.

Brain is gone because of fans displeasure. If everyone just has a luke warm attitude like IOWA STATE fans then there is no desire for making the type of changes that give hope to EVER reaching the mountain top AT LEAST once in a fans lifetime.

I’ve said it in another post about the pleasure and satisfaction I got from the Chicago Bears and Chicago Cubs national championships. Even if it never happens again in my life time. With the top defensive squads we have had recently we can see the peak of the mountain and it’s in range if we just improve our offense to a competent level. This may never happen again where we have this chance.
I dont think competitive nature has much to do with how you react to watching a team you have no direct involvement with. Competitive nature is reserved for things you can control and you are directly involved in. Like a pickup game of basketball. How you react to a team you have no direct involvement with has more to do with maturity (I lack there big time when watching games) your ability to understand that you have nothing to do with this team, and whether you're a glass half full or glass half empty type of person.

I need to work on my maturity because I'm a lunatic when I watch the game. But once it's over, I'm decent at realizing it's dumb to get too pissed off because I'm not even part of the team. I think I'm really good at how I react to the big picture because I'm a glass half full type of guy in all parts of life.

I've got a good friend who gets so mad watching games he won't even hardly watch. It's not because he's a bigger or more passionate fan than me. It's not because he's more competitive than me. It's not because he "demands success" more than I do. It's simply because he's a glass half empty guy by nature.

Simple, better athletes, or getting a coach who has a game plan suited to his talent. Iowa has slow players who lose against quicker more talented teams. Sorry but truth hurts. Defense wins championships most of the time. Iowa has very poor defensive teams. Simple.

Simple, better athletes, or getting a coach who has a game plan suited to his talent. Iowa has slow players who lose against quicker more talented teams. Sorry but truth hurts. Defense wins championships most of the time. Iowa has very poor defensive teams. Simple.
I keep saying this. If you are good enough to finish 4th in total wins in the Big Ten over a 5 year period, you are plenty good enough to win two games on the first weekend of the NCAA tournament.

Yeah that's Williams big thing it seems like. Jon Miller has became a pot head but I think he's still not drinking. He'd been an alcoholic for a long time and quit. How many folks fall into that category of being a pot head but not drinking? Maybe more then I realize I dunno I just found that interesting.

Im a multi tasker so I do both.

Latest posts