Fran not retiring anytime soon

You bombard threads with graphics and gifs. Sparingly is ok once in a while, but on the desktop side of things especially it gets wonky for some people when refreshing.

That's why I deleted the pics out of your signature years ago. We didn't need 78 graphics of Fran, Alford, and Lick on every game thread page.
Uu-Huh. I'm guessing it is a huge problem with all the basketball traffic going on. I will keep that in mind. ;)

Some people are very excited about Fran not leaving, particularly the ones that love having a good basketball coach. I hope that Fran makes a sweet 16 in the 20 years so I can tell you I told you so because that's all you have and that's the only knock on Fran that actually has a shred of weight to it in context of being ready to move on. Iowa hoops in the midst of one of their most succesful runs in their program history, let's fire the coach is a sound sound sound idea.
Again, who is saying fire Fran? I'm certainly not. It would be a bad business-move to the rest of the coaching community (ala Mr. Davis situation). Just can't do that.

That said, Fran leaving somewhere else is entirely different. It would be welcome by some....and judging by the lackluster turnouts and the typical lackluster post-seasons to this point in time.

If the bar is 20 years for one single coach to make a Sweet 16 run or better at Iowa, that is cringe.

Even those idiots over at ClownU do it better. That sucks to see and admit.

Again, who is saying fire Fran? I'm certainly not. It would be a bad business-move to the rest of the coaching community (ala Mr. Davis situation). Just can't do that.

That said, Fran leaving somewhere else is entirely different. It would be welcome by some....and judging by the lackluster turnouts and the typical lackluster post-seasons to this point in time.

If the bar is 20 years for one single coach to make a Sweet 16 run or better at Iowa, that is cringe.

Even those idiots over at ClownU do it better. That sucks to see and admit.
Well, let's see, I'm just trying to be realistic about it right? Like, what are you banking all these expectations on? How many Sweet 16's came to Iowa before Fran? It's not like it's always been some layup for this program over it's history and now suddenly we've decided to just settle for a coach who's "pretty good".

They've been to 5 in 44 seasons and 0 in 25 years. Cringe all you want, but that's the reality of Iowa basketball. The last 4 to 5 seasons has been one of the best stretches we've had since the late 80's. I think that says way more about Iowa than the coach who has proven he can win and win a lot in a tough conference, recruit players outside of the state that are impactful and have a program with players and coaches that are outstanding on and off the court. I don't want that to end because some people long for a time that was more fools gold then the standard.

Well, let's see, I'm just trying to be realistic about it right? Like, what are you banking all these expectations on? How many Sweet 16's came to Iowa before Fran? It's not like it's always been some layup for this program over it's history and now suddenly we've decided to just settle for a coach who's "pretty good".

They've been to 5 in 44 seasons and 0 in 25 years. Cringe all you want, but that's the reality of Iowa basketball. The last 4 to 5 seasons has been one of the best stretches we've had since the late 80's. I think that says way more about Iowa than the coach who has proven he can win and win a lot in a tough conference, recruit players outside of the state that are impactful and have a program with players and coaches that are outstanding on and off the court. I don't want that to end because some people long for a time that was more fools gold then the standard.
What I keep trying to point out is that I don't think there is anything inherent about Fran's style or coaching that has prevented Iowa from reaching the Sweet 16. We all get hung up on it, but it is far harder to finish 4th in Big Ten wins over a 5 year period then it is to reach a Sweet 16.

It's maddening to us as Iowa fans to go to how many NCAA tournaments (17?) in the last 35 years and only make a single Sweet 16, but that's such a crazy stat at this point that we should just lean into it.

There was some bad luck mixed into that run, but for the most part it's a big crapshoot. If you are good enough to make the tourney out of the Big Ten, you are plenty good enough to make a Sweet 16. This is college basketball, anyone can beat anyone in March. Continually getting to the tourney is far more than half the battle.

What I keep trying to point out is that I don't think there is anything inherent about Fran's style or coaching that has prevented Iowa from reaching the Sweet 16. We all get hung up on it, but it is far harder to finish 4th in Big Ten wins over a 5 year period then it is to reach a Sweet 16.

It's maddening to us as Iowa fans to go to how many NCAA tournaments (17?) in the last 35 years and only make a single Sweet 16, but that's such a crazy stat at this point that we should just lean into it.

There was some bad luck mixed into that run, but for the most part it's a big crapshoot. If you are good enough to make the tourney out of the Big Ten, you are plenty good enough to make a Sweet 16. This is college basketball, anyone can beat anyone in March. Continually getting to the tourney is far more than half the battle.

Let’s not forget the struggles of the B1G as a whole in the tournament the last 20-25 years. It isn’t just a Fran and/or Iowa problem.

Agree 100% - keep getting reps regularly and the S16 will happen, I don't think it really has a lot to do with Fran, his coaching style, his players etc. I mean, they won 4 games in 4 days, so he's proven that he can win in a tourney setting. He's sent guys to the NBA so we know he can help players get to the next level. He's taken a kid from clear on the other side of the country and turned him into a NPOY candidate, so we know he can develop at the highest level. There's no way I want that to end and IMO, Fran's recruiting is on the upswing, not on a downturn. He's also not paid nearly towards the top end of the conference and his barn has 6500 people on weeknights. At some point as Iowa fans, ya gotta look inward and say "hey, we got it pretty good right now" ......IMO Fran has out performed his contract and then some. I put a lot of stock in the journey and not nearly as much as others do in March. I feel like that shit will work itself out if we're going to the dance in 8 of 10 years.

Uu-Huh. I'm guessing it is a huge problem with all the basketball traffic going on. I will keep that in mind. ;)
Have you not noticed that the only posts of yours that have been removed are the ones with all your pictures and gifs? I mean, it's a huge percentage of your posts so I can see how you're butthurt, but...

I can’t add anything pro or con in the Mr. Davis vs. Fran debate. We have this debate every year and I do not have anything new to add.

What I didn’t know, until this year, was that Mr. Davis and Fran are pretty tight. They keep in contact with each other and this “mentor” thing I had no idea. If it is a late 70(s) Northeast deal, your guess would be good as mine.

I can’t add anything pro or con in the Mr. Davis vs. Fran debate. We have this debate every year and I do not have anything new to add.

What I didn’t know, until this year, was that Mr. Davis and Fran are pretty tight. They keep in contact with each other and this “mentor” thing I had no idea. If it is a late 70(s) Northeast deal, your guess would be good as mine.
Fran immediately embraced TD, the tradition and history of Iowa basketball before him. TD is at a lot of games and practices and pretty close to the program as a whole and I think Fran has a big part in that.

Kinda off subject, but Fran has really tamed it down the last few years. Kinda running on reputation more so now.

Fran immediately embraced TD, the tradition and history of Iowa basketball before him. TD is at a lot of games and practices and pretty close to the program as a whole and I think Fran has a big part in that.

I didn’t know any of this until this year. It really makes the Mr. Davis vs. Fran debate kinda silly…that is just my opinion, tho.

Have you not noticed that the only posts of yours that have been removed are the ones with all your pictures and gifs? I mean, it's a huge percentage of your posts so I can see how you're butthurt, but...
No I have not noticed anything other than today.

It is interesting......Davis's teams rebounded very well and ran a true full-court press. Those things must have not rubbed off in the in mentorship thing. Fran has to be his own man though.

This^^^

I have no beef with Davis, but he's a golden calf. People make him out to be better than he was because of one lightning in a bottle season and another one right at the end of his career where some Iowa fans thought he got the shaft. Being someone who supported guys during the Chris Street deal has a bearing on that as well, but when you look at it objectively from all angles, it's not really any better than Fran. Your last three sentences sum it up.
Still would love to have seen his third season (1988-89) with a healthy Matt Bullard, Michael Ingram, and Rodell Davis, or how far we could have advanced in 1993 NCAA'S with Chris Street.

1991 team would have been better with a healthy Wade Lookingbill and Ray Thompson not flunking out.

Sadly and tragically we will never know

Still would love to have seen his third season (1988-89) with a healthy Matt Bullard, Michael Ingram, and Rodell Davis, or how far we could have advanced in 1993 NCAA'S with Chris Street.

1991 team would have been better with a healthy Wade Lookingbill and Ray Thompson not flunking out.

Sadly and tragically we will never know
I would have loved to see Keegan and Kris Kurray Sr, Jr years.

It's nothing against they guy himself. At all.

It's making fun of the "Mr. Davis" cult of personality that guys like @HaydenHawk56 create as if his PhD in history somehow makes him a little more deserving of some abstract reverence. No different than Osbourne. The guy got a history degree and (some) people toss his "title" around like he deserves more respect than normal or that he's some sort of guru. Similar to how Eric Clapton is a knight and we call him Sir Eric Clapton like he fought dragons to save a damsel in distress.

Yeah, that's a hyperbolic example, but this is the internet, man. Point still stands...
Man am I glad I got bored and scrolled down to open old unread threads. Sir Eric Clapton fighting dragons has me loling to myself. Well done.

Imagine how far we could have gone in the tournament if Keegan didn't mess hos ankle up. Or if they didn't cancel the 2020 tournament. Or if Oregon didn't get screwed on their seed and also get a bye. Or if we snuck by Tennessee who almost made the elite 8.

Keegan is ridiculous now... I've watched a couple games this yr of his and the dude is a robot when it comes to shooting now. When he's hot there's no slowing him down. He's improved his handle and can drive to the hoop and dunk on dudes. Not to mention he's turned into a lock down defender of wing players. Imagine what he coulda done to college dudes had he stayed that 1 more yr...

Latest posts