It's Time

longtimer

I know I have not been a great McCaffrey supporter the past several years but it is not because I am not an Iowa fan. I have experienced the ups of JJ and Fred Brown, Lester and the final four and Marble and Armstrong. Also the downs of Dick Schultz and Lick.
McCaffrey has proven to be a coach that can put a scoring offense on the floor but can't coach defense and overall is probably mediocre at best. Not a good recruiter. If you take away the Murray brothers I don't think I would be writing this post. Never recruited a guard like the kid we saw last night.
Oh yes most wins in Iowa history surpassing Mr. Davis. Also 47 more losses than anyone
Tournament We have beaten Cincinnati,Temple, Davidson, and that powerhouse Grand Canyon in 14 years !

If you ask yourself would Fran McCaffrey be coaching at any other Big Ten school next year with his 14 year record and honestly Northwestern is the only one that comes to mind and i'm not sure after some recent success they would welcome Fran back for a 15th year

If you listened to Fran in the Post Game last night even he sounds like a beaten coach

I really hope he calls it quits. I know if that happens Freeman will likely be playing at Kansas or Illinois next year and we will be really bad, but it has to happen sometime. As some have said on this site we could be worse with a new coach and that is certainly true. But really at this point do we have a lot to lose?

Fran had led one of 4 teams in the Big 10 that has made the tourney each of the last 4 (would have been 5 but for COVID) years. In that time he has fielded the NPOY, a Top 5 draft pick, three second rounders, won the Big 10 tourney, and he recruited and developed the shoe-in winner of the B10 Freshmen of the Year this season. The man isn't allowed a rebuilding year?????

Of course he sounded beaten. This year is a grind. He has a young team and they are blowing leads and losing 50/50 games that he knows they could win. There were incredibly low expectations for this team and if they make the NIT with this squad, that is a hell of a coaching job by Franny.

Now, let's see how they finish with this tough schedule. They could still implode given who they have left. But, it sure looks like these kids are playing tough for their coach.

If Fran decides it is his time, I will be fine with that. He has been a great coach for Iowa and I would just tip my cap. But objectively, calling for his firing because he has a young team is silly, and I think there are a ton of ADs in this conference beyond NW that would take Fran's successes over the past 5+ seasons and understand that most teams in Iowa's class have rebuilding years.

That's funny cause you see the OP being silly because of wanting Fran gone for a down year with a young team. I read the OP talking about his 14 year record, his tournament record and win quality, lack of defense, and questioning the recruiting. At least argue his points instead of yelling "hater" and changing the criticisms to one thing, a down year, that most would agree you shouldn't get fired for. OP didn't even call for his firing as he actually said he hopes Fran calls it quits. Hoping he quits is not calling for his firing.

I know I have not been a great McCaffrey supporter the past several years but it is not because I am not an Iowa fan. I have experienced the ups of JJ and Fred Brown, Lester and the final four and Marble and Armstrong. Also the downs of Dick Schultz and Lick.
McCaffrey has proven to be a coach that can put a scoring offense on the floor but can't coach defense and overall is probably mediocre at best. Not a good recruiter. If you take away the Murray brothers I don't think I would be writing this post. Never recruited a guard like the kid we saw last night.
Oh yes most wins in Iowa history surpassing Mr. Davis. Also 47 more losses than anyone
Tournament We have beaten Cincinnati,Temple, Davidson, and that powerhouse Grand Canyon in 14 years !

If you ask yourself would Fran McCaffrey be coaching at any other Big Ten school next year with his 14 year record and honestly Northwestern is the only one that comes to mind and i'm not sure after some recent success they would welcome Fran back for a 15th year

If you listened to Fran in the Post Game last night even he sounds like a beaten coach

I really hope he calls it quits. I know if that happens Freeman will likely be playing at Kansas or Illinois next year and we will be really bad, but it has to happen sometime. As some have said on this site we could be worse with a new coach and that is certainly true. But really at this point do we have a lot to lose?
Seriously, how many of these threads do you need to make? It's like 2 a week. I asked myself your question you offered up there and then instead of taking a completely biased look at it from a standpoint of pushing a narrative over and over I looked at it from purely a #'s thing. Iowa is 4th in the B1G in conference wins since 2020. EVERY B1G school would be bringing that coach back for a 15th year. Every one of them. Every single one of them. Not one of them would run that coach off.

Fran's in the bottom half of the conference as far as pay - Iowa get's a hell of a ROI off of Fran as he almost always finishes in the top half of the conference, yet Iowa pays him like he doesn't.

Iowa has a LOT to lose by parting with Fran..... mostly, ya know, the whole winning thing.

Fran had led one of 4 teams in the Big 10 that has made the tourney each of the last 4 (would have been 5 but for COVID) years. In that time he has fielded the NPOY, a Top 5 draft pick, three second rounders, won the Big 10 tourney, and he recruited and developed the shoe-in winner of the B10 Freshmen of the Year this season. The man isn't allowed a rebuilding year?????

Of course he sounded beaten. This year is a grind. He has a young team and they are blowing leads and losing 50/50 games that he knows they could win. There were incredibly low expectations for this team and if they make the NIT with this squad, that is a hell of a coaching job by Franny.

Now, let's see how they finish with this tough schedule. They could still implode given who they have left. But, it sure looks like these kids are playing tough for their coach.

If Fran decides it is his time, I will be fine with that. He has been a great coach for Iowa and I would just tip my cap. But objectively, calling for his firing because he has a young team is silly, and I think there are a ton of ADs in this conference beyond NW that would take Fran's successes over the past 5+ seasons and understand that most teams in Iowa's class have rebuilding years.
Spot on. If he goes, I will be happy he left on his terms - but Iowa isn't about to fire it's best coach in 30 years lol and nor should they even be contemplating it. Fran out performs his contract almost every season and IMO, tons of building blocks here that has me excited about the team moving forward. If TP comes back next year, I could see Iowa being in early top 25's next year.

I think this is it. Like KF, people expect the same level of success every year and bitch when it doesn't improve. Heaven forbid they take a step back. If someone can watch this team and not see progress and the potential for future success, then I don't know what to say.
Exactly, and coming off the run that Iowa has had here, you almost gotta expect some sort of drop off. I mean, I was hopeful it wasn't going to, but a school like Iowa just isn't going to sustain that level of success with guys leaving early for the NBA, we're just not at that level of a program and I don't understand why people think we suddenly should be?

That's funny cause you see the OP being silly because of wanting Fran gone for a down year with a young team. I read the OP talking about his 14 year record, his tournament record and win quality, lack of defense, and questioning the recruiting. At least argue his points instead of yelling "hater" and changing the criticisms to one thing, a down year, that most would agree you shouldn't get fired for. OP didn't even call for his firing as he actually said he hopes Fran calls it quits. Hoping he quits is not calling for his firing.
It was a long post. I addressed the parts that were germane. We all know what he is saying. Whether its hoping he quits or calling for his head, its a general suggestion that Fran is not good enough to continue to be Iowa's HC, and I just fundamentally disagree. I stand by what I said and I do think the position is objectively silly.

Seriously, how many of these threads do you need to make? It's like 2 a week. I asked myself your question you offered up there and then instead of taking a completely biased look at it from a standpoint of pushing a narrative over and over I looked at it from purely a #'s thing. Iowa is 4th in the B1G in conference wins since 2020. EVERY B1G school would be bringing that coach back for a 15th year. Every one of them. Every single one of them. Not one of them would run that coach off.

Fran's in the bottom half of the conference as far as pay - Iowa get's a hell of a ROI off of Fran as he almost always finishes in the top half of the conference, yet Iowa pays him like he doesn't.

Iowa has a LOT to lose by parting with Fran..... mostly, ya know, the whole winning thing.
Really Every team? Holtman at Ohio State his seventh year. 137-86 overall In tournament 4 out of first five years with the other being pandemic (they would have been in) 6th year down and this year a struggle
Gone

Really Every team? Holtman at Ohio State his seventh year. 137-86 overall In tournament 4 out of first five years with the other being pandemic (they would have been in) 6th year down and this year a struggle
Gone
He's missed the dance in back to back years...if Fran does that, then he would too be on the hot seat. No one would fire Fran after the run he just had, plus, he has a core of young players that look to be pretty good, with 2 of his highest rated recruits on tap. Holtman doesn't have all that attached to him, he was like an anchor.

I think this is it. Like KF, people expect the same level of success every year and bitch when it doesn't improve. Heaven forbid they take a step back. If someone can watch this team and not see progress and the potential for future success, then I don't know what to say.
I am going to my head doctor on Monday, to have him confirm I am a masochist, I keep reading these threads and I dip my head in the "spit-balling". All, we are talking relative terms here of success. opinions of success on this platform, success as it relates to the Big and success as it relates Nationally. Putting it simple Iowa men's football and basketball is a C plus at best, in regard to KF, his program going forward can't hang a banner up saying we won the Big West division anymore, in that alignment doing good if they finish 8th. Which will get you to the Nacho cheese bowl, if you like a full bag of chips, have at it. Franny Boy is worth some embarrassing shits and giggles with his sideline antics (national embarrassment), but a little dry on NCAA tournament production, again folks it's just how high your bar is, honestly, it's pretty low at the University of Iowa. So, enjoy the NIT, enjoy the Nacho Bowl, be Happy ya Man.

He's missed the dance in back to back years...if Fran does that, then he would too be on the hot seat. No one would fire Fran after the run he just had, plus, he has a core of young players that look to be pretty good, with 2 of his highest rated recruits on tap. Holtman doesn't have all that attached to him, he was like an anchor.
No lets just stop Fran has missed the tournament 2 years in a row. Back in 17-18 (may be wrong year) he went to the NIT and next year was like 14-19

As far as players coming back next year Perkins is gone. I agree Freeman could be a very good player especially if he finds a 15 foot shot. Harding has some court skills but is not a good shooter and just awfully small Dembele hasn't shown much other than maybe jumping skills. Not exactly a couple of potential All Big Ten caliber players (with the exception) of Freeman

Next year Koch (another former player son) 4 star who probably will be decent if not a great athlete and Tadjo

We will not be an athletic team and undoubtedly a poor defensive team Always seem to have some good shooters

So we have beaten Cincinnati, Temple,Davidson and Grand Canyon in 14 years in the tournament. Not exactly a whos who in basketball

Like LL said the bar is low

Now we're comparing Ohio State's resources and recruiting base to Iowa's? Good grief.
Hey, it worked for nebraska football to assume they were a big enough dog to play musical coaches and have it work out. Look at the success they’ve had since then…

Now we're comparing Ohio State's resources and recruiting base to Iowa's? Good grief.
How about comparing to ISU instead? I doubt their basketball NIL is more than the Hawks, but he's built a great program there. I think Jamie P completely lucked out, but they've shown a P5 school can build a great BB program without a ton of $$ or a huge recruiting base.

Of course not Ohio State has big advantage in both The statement was made that all Big Ten teams would welcome Fran back for 15th year. That is just ridiculous the bar is higher at most Big Ten schools IMO

If mediocrity is what you want, mediocrity is what you got. I for one am long ready for a change. As long as defense is optional nothing is going to change

How about comparing to ISU instead? I doubt their basketball NIL is more than the Hawks, but he's built a great program there. I think Jamie P completely lucked out, but they've shown a P5 school can build a great BB program without a ton of $$ or a huge recruiting base.
Personally, I don't really care about ISU, other than a good academic school and I have allot of great friends who went there. Lucked out, well let's just say Jamiw P hired good, hired a style of basketball and you all can read about the results, not a big surprise though about his hire and results, understands we are in the year 2024 in collegiate athletics.

Latest posts