Swoops

The biggest question in all of this, is who the hell cares, and why?

Honestly.

Does any of this affect you at all? Clark will be fine. Swoopes will still be a has-been. Who cares what she says?

If I had a dime for every misinformed, ignorant thing I've heard from passers by or even myself I'd be Jeff Bezos. Is it because she's in the national media spotlight that some of you are outraged? Is there a reason that she needs 3.2 million white knights to come to her rescue? She's fine. This is great publicity for Clark and every one of us knows she's laughing hysterically because of how blatantly and obviously stupid Swoopes is. This is a great thing for Clark and she knows it.

Do some of you need something to rage about for the sake of rage?

The question I have to ask is this. She's one of the greatest players of all time and obviously still very involved in the sport. Is it even possible for someone like that to not follow the career of Clark enough to not know what she was saying was incorrect? Clark is everywhere. She's impossible for casual fans to not pay attention too, let alone someone like Swoops. You can argue that there is too much exposure of Clark if you wanted to. But somehow Swoops misses all of this exposure of Clark and thinks everything she said was true? I'm not buying it.

Unfortunately, there are only too options here. One is Swoops somehow lives under a rock when it comes to the the biggest story in the sport she covers, so she was simply wrong. And two is she was straight up lying to try to trick people into discounting Clark's accomplishments. I just can't think of a possible third option, or any way option one is possible.
Most of the criticism falls along jealous rival fan bases, ill-informed or just plain liars, and sadly racial lines.
I'm afraid Clark will always be fighting for respect in the basketball world due to the color of her skin.

Honestly.

Does any of this affect you at all? Clark will be fine. Swoopes will still be a has-been. Who cares what she says?

If I had a dime for every misinformed, ignorant thing I've heard from passers by or even myself I'd be Jeff Bezos. Is it because she's in the national media spotlight that some of you are outraged? Is there a reason that she needs 3.2 million white knights? She's fine. This is great for Clark and every one of us knows she's laughing hysterically because of how blatantly and obviously stupid Swoopes is.

This X a 1000. Fry is lot a younger than me, so he knows the terminology better than I do, but isn’t this the very definition of ‘outrage culture’? I realize there is an undertone of race in this, but from what I am reading CC has a really good friendship with Aliyah Boston. I am not suggesting Bird and Magic here, but would anybody be shocked if Angel Reese and CC are friends 20 years from now? I wouldn’t.

One of the many reasons why they're jealous of Clark and the Hawkeyes.
mwO7WvW.png

This X a 1000. Fry is lot a younger than me, so he knows the terminology better than I do, but isn’t this the very definition of ‘outrage culture’? I realize there is an undertone of race in this, but from what I am reading CC has a really good friendship with Aliyah Boston. I am not suggesting Bird and Magic here, but would anybody be shocked if Angel Reese and CC are friends 20 years from now? I wouldn’t.
I sure would... Maybe I'm on an island with that but I don't see that happening. I don't think Clark and her family have shared their true feelings towards all that. And that's because of how smart and mature they are. They haven't taken the bait by the media whenever asked about it and that's just plain smart. Reese got her ring and 15 mins of fame. Clark has more then 15 mins on her mind. She has a long lucrative career ahead of her too so stooping down to her level wouldn't look good.

Honestly.

If I had a dime for every misinformed, ignorant thing I've heard from passers by or even myself I'd be Jeff Bezos. Is it because she's in the national media spotlight that some of you are outraged? Is there a reason that she needs 3.2 million white knights to come to her rescue? She's fine. This is great publicity for Clark and every one of us knows she's laughing hysterically because of how blatantly and obviously stupid Swoopes is. This is a great thing for Clark and she knows it.

Fans will be fans. We all have our own levels to what extent we care about what and why. Some devote more time $ and emotion to it then others.

In the world of college hoops Swoopes 2 cents carries weight. She was obviously coming from a place of negativity when talking about Clark. She had her conclusion made up prior to literally making up her reasons for why. The why she doesn't like Clark is another topic as well.

Most Iowa fans can differentiate between one sharing an opinion (such as her saying Clark will struggle initially when getting to the league) and spewing lies. Opinions are like assholes we all have one that's fine and dandy. Her opinions are totally fair and probably correct when it comes right down to it. Her saying that isn't a big deal.

It's the lying about her age, shot attempts, how long she's played when everything is just so simple to look up and know the answer to (It's even worse when she should already just know those things being who she is and her having takes on all this) So the backlash she's getting for it is predictable and understandable.

Imagine if Lebron James had Jordan or Dr J saying these sort of things about him. It'd be the only thing ESPN would be talking about this week and that's with the Super Bowl going on.

I don't think bringing race into this is helpful for anyone, Mulareky said similarly stupid stuff, is she racist too.

I don't think bringing race into this is helpful for anyone, Mulareky said similarly stupid stuff, is she racist too.
I don't think anyone wants to bring it into it. I don't think it's remotely helpful either. I do think that Mulkey and Swoopes can have different reasons for disliking Clark. Mulkey is a coach Swoopes is a former player. We'll never really know the reasons cause nobody will bluntly state what they really think. Everyone is always passively aggressive and you have to read between the lines. Gives plausible deniability

First of all, based on avatars, Fry clearly looks a lot older than you........

Secondly, as to why Cheryl Swoopes ignited the passion, the bottom line is that she dissed one of Iowa's own.......its like Iowa isn't allowed to have the premier player, at least one born and bred in the state. Maybe Keegan Murray was close to breaking that mold, but even he had his detractors. Seems like the Iowa athletes that get the highest press, at least in the past, were those that flew the coop and signed with an out of state school.....

The other issue, which was the most irritating, was Swoopes blatantly using a false narrative to base the criticism on. No excuse for that, especially someone with her background and stature.

Finally, while I appreciate the suggestion that many of the posters are over reacting, and perhaps we are, well.....thats what this site is for isn't it?

If I can't have this outlet to scream bloody murder when we run up the middle for the 17th zillionth time on 3rd and 8th, or bitch and moan about perceived slights from the media for any of our athletes, I suspect my wife will not allow me to watch any games anymore, unless she has plans to be elsewhere at the time......and since that elsewhere would probably involve shopping for an extended period, I am pretty sure it is a whole lot cheaper to just let me yell at the TV and then to bitch and moan on this venerable website.

Which I do appreciate!

Let's be honest, many of them live in a bubble and it absolutely pizzes them off when a female athlete of white color has this much success, and even more when the rest of the country has fallen in luv with her and her story or career.

There, I said it.
Larry Bird went through the same thing.

I'm not sure why you have to "be outraged" to call out something that's factually incorrect. Maybe it's just me but I think it's pretty easy to say someone's lies made them sound stupid, and then go on about my day like it never happened.

I'm not sure why you have to "be outraged" to call out something that's factually incorrect. Maybe it's just me but I think it's pretty easy to say someone's lies made them sound stupid, and then go on about my day like it never happened.
I didn’t say everyone here is outraged. But some are. And a lot of folks outside of here are too.

It’s ridiculous. This is one of the best things that could happen to CC. Awesome publicity and everyone knows Swoopes is an ignoramus. Literally no one on the planet believes what Swoopes. This is all just a huge giggle for Clark.

Honestly.

People love to get their pound of flesh by dunking on someone else on the internet, but we're all just tilting at windmills here (to mix literary metaphors). Not only is it a stupid use of time and energy to be tweeting about how wrong and stupid Swoope's take was, but you just create unnecessary drama that Bluder and Clark then need to respond to ('cause the media loves drama), making their lives harder in the process.

Also, Swoopes is doing nothing different from what we have seen dozens of former NBA players do. They always rag on the new generation, questioning their toughness, their skill, their commitment to the game. I think LeBron has been so amazing as to finally have overcome that, but he dealt with it for most of his career. Curry has gotten it even worse, because like Clark, he has played the game differently then it has ever been played before, and that has made him a super compelling story. The old guard resents all of the attention, and they convince themselves they were better players because Steph is small, and his D isn't great, and he doesn't play the game the right way. But Steph has absolutely changed the way the game is played, and like Clark, I am not sure if there is a single player that impacts an offense as much as him. Even when not shooting, his gravity and the way he attracts defenders opens everything else up. Clark does the same thing, but with LeBron's passing vision, skill, and height on top of that.

Reactions: trj
One last thing...

Though Swoopes was embarrassingly ill-informed, she also made some good points. It is ridiculously hard to make it in the WNBA. Imagine if you took all of the talent in the NBA and condensed it to 12 teams, only 12 roster slots per team. That is essentially 25% of the spots available for NBA guys. And we see awesome college men's players (like Luka) who have to work their asses off just to hang on. In the WNBA, ratchet that up 4x.

So, there is no guarantee that Clark steps in and dominates, and frankly I would be surprised if she did (at least not at league MVP level). And as revolutionary as she is, it is way premature to speak of her as the greatest women's BB player of all time (which plenty of people infer, and which gets in the craw of some who came before and are in that discussion). However, I wouldn't put a ceiling on her. She is the most remarkable athlete I have ever watched in person. She has 2 super-elite skills (shooting and passing), and she is + in size, and at worst neutral in speed and quickness. About her only weakness is team D (she's actually a pretty good one on one defender). She hasn't faced a D that wasn't focused solely on stopping her since her first couple games as a freshman, and not only has she continued to produce, but has miraculously kept improving over 4 years (credit to Bluder and her staff, her best players never plateau). She will continue to get her share of resentment because of all the accolades, just as LeBron did. But my bet is that she finally wins people over, like LeBron, and people tell their grandkids some day about how they remember watching her live.

Reactions: trj

Honestly.

Yeah, F...this shitte

Lets play ball and let the racists rot and eventually die a dismal death

Swoops is a ridiculous fool

And clearly making a Fool of herself

I have thought for a long time, a year or three that Catilin will be a Target
every second of play in the WNBA

Perhaps she should take a Covid year and set an unbreakable scoring record, women or men

She is already making millions as a senior in college more than WNBA players make in a lifetime

They get paid approximately 100,000 a year

Why should she take the targeting, abuse, and hatred that is Certain

She is a business major and can pursue an extremely profitable career other than the WNBA

Set a permanent record and swim in Uncle Scrooge's swimming pool

Scrooge Mcduck Ducktales GIF - Scrooge Mcduck Ducktales ...

Last edited:

Latest posts