Hope KF and Lester are watching football today.

hawkihayes

Seeing a lot of 31 personal today with NFL offenses. We have plenty of good TE in the pipeline to run 31 personal. They could learn a lot from watching theses two games? Just wishful thinking probably on my part but we've seen it a few times the OSU game for instance. Guess I'm reaching for straws with this underwhelming hire?

Is it just me or have most NFL defenses seemed awful during this year's NFL playoffs. So many teams just seem so bad at tackling to me.

I don't know. The Chiefs D held the Raven's potent O to 10 points. Likewise, the Chiefs scored 17 total points. I saw some damn good defense in that game.

The 49ers/Lions, not so much.

I agree with the original post. 31 personnel should be a staple of Iowa football.

Is it just me or have most NFL defenses seemed awful during this year's NFL playoffs. So many teams just seem so bad at tackling to me.
I think the poor tackling I've seen in the playoffs has been primarily in the defensive backfields. The DLines and LBs have all been professional, next-level tackling. The weakness of SF's defense is clearly their defensive backfield, and the announcers kept saying last night that Detroit's DBackfield tackling is notoriously poor. Used to be, finding a rush DE was the biggest challenge; now, maybe finding a CB who can tackle is!

I think the poor tackling I've seen in the playoffs has been primarily in the defensive backfields. The DLines and LBs have all been professional, next-level tackling. The weakness of SF's defense is clearly their defensive backfield, and the announcers kept saying last night that Detroit's DBackfield tackling is notoriously poor. Used to be, finding a rush DE was the biggest challenge; now, maybe finding a CB who can tackle is!

I suppose it is because coverage skills are more important, and it is really tough to find guys that can do both. Those that can are all-timers.

I also believe so many rule changes that benefit offense have something to do with it.
I believe our best running games here at Iowa ended right around the time the (don't quote me) some type of low block and KF I do believe had taught that particular style until a rule change made it a penalty. Our run blocking hasn't been the same since and running game terrible. I just don't remember the actual name for the particular style of block but do know it was taken out and Iowa flagged a few times the the next season and Kirk not agreeing with the call.

I also believe so many rule changes that benefit offense have something to do with it.
I believe our best running games here at Iowa ended right around the time the (don't quote me) some type of low block and KF I do believe had taught that particular style until a rule change made it a penalty. Our run blocking hasn't been the same since and running game terrible. I just don't remember the actual name for the particular style of block but do know it was taken out and Iowa flagged a few times the the next season and Kirk not agreeing with the call.
Cut blocking.
And I agree our run game has suffered in parallel with the rule change.

Latest posts