Story: Goodson to Green Bay, Other Iowa UDFA Deals

No player from Hook em Horns got drafted this year.

Zero.
That is unreal. A school with more money than God and whose coaches literally could never board a plane to recruit and still land nothing but 4 and 5 star kids can't develop a 7th round draft pick? Lord that place is mismanaged.

That is unreal. A school with more money than God and whose coaches literally could never board a plane to recruit and still land nothing but 4 and 5 star kids can't develop a 7th round draft pick? Lord that place is mismanaged.

The stories of Texas, Florida State, Tennessee and Michigan during their decade of futility are why I will back Kurt until he's ready to leave. Virginia Tech is another horror story of a program at about Iowa's level. That elevator down is a helluva lot easier to board than the elevator up.

Running backs are about as disposable as kickers nowadays and I think that in the vast majority of cases a college degree will make a guy more money short and long term than a practice squad stint of 1-2 years and no degree. I don't think in his case it's even applicable to talk about getting a second contract when he likely won't even get a first one (on an active roster).

TG will likely get cut and go home with a few thousand bucks for his time. That’s great to say he tried to pursue his dream, but I don’t think he looked hard at the NFL environment nowadays and didn’t accept that just a tiny handful of guys who are way more skilled than he is are even going to have a short career in the bigs, let alone a career they can make a living from.

If he could have gone somewhere another year to get his degree and maybe make a couple hundred grand in NIL and endorsement money, then try pro ball, at least when he got cut he'd be in a solid place in life. A guy like him with a bachelors degree and being a P5 football player shouldn't have a hard time finding a job in the private sector paying $80-90K to start.

All that said I don't know his family's financial situation and I don't know if he graduated or not. Maybe he doesn't have to be concerned with money.
I'd be fascinated to know what advice he and his family got from the NFL/scouts/agents. Cause he cut bait and hired an agent pretty fast it seemed like. Like between the last regular season game and the Bowl game I'm pretty sure so he didn't think about it too long. He slammed the door on coming back to Iowa right away.

I think I'd mentioned earlier this season that Goodsons career arc is probably on the same track as Sargents. I don't think either of them really was all that better than the other. Goodson is just a step faster with Sargent being tougher between the tackles. Both can catch the ball. Sargent was on the Titans practice squad most of the year but not all of it. I'm not sure he suited up for a regular season game but he did play in the preseason.

I didn't think he had a chance at getting drafted prior to the combine frankly. When they said that Hall and Walker both wouldn't be 1st round picks (and they weren't) I figured Goodson would be a crazy late pick if at all. But then he really stood out during the combine. He ran fast and tested right up there with all of them. At that point I figured with his pass catching/route running ability he had enough value to get taken. But guess not.

His folks are both college graduates I think and his dad is an Engineer. I've heard pod casts with him and he's an articulate guy and they stressed education so I have a feeling if Goodson hasn't graduated that he probably will. Education is clearly a priority to his folks anyway.

Goodson's draft stock was not going to get higher whether he stayed at Iowa or transferred. His tape was what it was. His measurables were not going to improve. As stated earlier, he is pretty good at everything, but not elite at anything, and that gets you an UFA shot. He is either going to make a squad or not. Another year of college ball is only another year of risking injury if the main goal is to make a roster.

Goodson's draft stock was not going to get higher whether he stayed at Iowa or transferred. His tape was what it was. His measurables were not going to improve. As stated earlier, he is pretty good at everything, but not elite at anything, and that gets you an UFA shot. He is either going to make a squad or not. Another year of college ball is only another year of risking injury if the main goal is to make a roster.
The main point (that you’re ignoring) is that he could have made a whole lot more money from NIL by staying another year in college.

Shonn Greene ('09) was the last Iowa RB drafted.

Ladell Betts ('02) is the only other KF Era RB drafted. He was a Hayden recruit.
Can’t win any thing big if two of the most important players (QB’s and RB’s) on an offense are mediocre. Can’t run or throw the ball consistently

However with Brian as our offensive coordinator and QB coach I know changes are on the way!!! ;)

As one former poster liked to say a lot “Throw more money at Kirk” just need to throw a little extra more for his sniveling son who is hiding in Kirk’s sports jacket.

N*E*P*O*T*I*S*M

noun
  1. patronage bestowed or favoritism shown on the basis of family relationship, as in business and politics: She was accused of nepotism when she made her nephew an officer of the firm.
ORIGIN OF NEPOTISM
From the Italian word nepotismo, dating back to Iowa 1998– BLY (buzz light year) to infinity and beyond lol, just having fun coping and pasted and editing from my dictionary app on my iPhone.

When I am proven wrong I will humbly admit I am wrong about Brian…………….. don’t hold your breath as I don’t know CPR

The main point (that you’re ignoring) is that he could have made a whole lot more money from NIL by staying another year in college.
Actually I didn't ignore it. If you look at my post from 1:39 on Monday, I agreed with your post that a lot of these types of kids that are marginal NFL talents and play positions that are not highly coveted are going to be better off staying in school due to NIL. So, I agreed with your premise.

My subsequent post that you criticized made a different point. If you read the last 6 words of my post, the premise assumed that Goodson's primary goal was to try and make an NFL squad. If so, (meaning maximizing earnings from football was not what was driving Goodson), then he should have left when he did. His NFL prospects would not have improved from a year more of college ball, and he would risk a bad injury that could completely derail his dream of playing in the NFL.

My positions are clear if you care to read them.

Latest posts