Minimum points required to win each Iowa game

NCHawker

Here's a fun exercise a bit of a twist though. How many points will it take to win each game on Iowa's schedule. this is a bit more fun than how many points will the D give up this year in each game.

Indiana 32
ISU 36
Kent State 22
Colorado State 7
Maryland 29
Penn State 22
Purdue 25
wisconsin 22
Northwestern 19
Minnesota 22
Illinois 19
Nebraska 22

Here's a fun exercise a bit of a twist though. How many points will it take to win each game on Iowa's schedule. this is a bit more fun than how many points will the D give up this year in each game.

Indiana 32
ISU 36
Kent State 22
Colorado State 7
Maryland 29
Penn State 22
Purdue 25
wisconsin 22
Northwestern 19
Minnesota 22
Illinois 19
Nebraska 22
ISU 36 = 12 FGs? 18 Safeties? 5 TDs with a 2 point conversion? 4 TDs 2FGs and a Safety?

And the answer is 2. This is the lowest # of points a team can score while still scoring. I will take 2-0 victories any day. Imagine us going undefeated with all games being won 2-0. Awesome.

I have come to the point of realization that it takes at least one more point than our opponent and that is what we will play for.

BUT I think we hang 56 on Nebby.

Indiana 32
ISU 36
Kent State 22
Colorado State 7
Maryland 29
Penn State 22
Purdue 25
wisconsin 22
Northwestern 19
Minnesota 22
Illinois 19
Nebraska 22
Come on...Maryland 29?!?!?!?! We havn't given up more than 24 in two years running...and, Maryland 29!?!?!?!?! Oh, those vaunted Terps...and their magnificent juggernaut of an offense?

Indiana 32 actual = 7 woulda won
ISU 36
Kent State 22
Colorado State 7
Maryland 29
Penn State 22
Purdue 25
wisconsin 22
Northwestern 19
Minnesota 22
Illinois 19
Nebraska 22

Lots of cushion based on my preseason expectations. So no, the O doesn't suck its scoring points over and above what we need to. and scoring less that what I thought they'd need to.

Indiana 32 actual = 7 woulda won; scored 34 which is 27 extra
ISU 36 actual = 18 would won; scored 27 which is 9 extra
Kent State 22 actual = 8 woulda won; scored 30 which is 23 extra
Colorado State 7
Maryland 29
Penn State 22
Purdue 25
wisconsin 22
Northwestern 19
Minnesota 22
Illinois 19
Nebraska 22

confused?

You don’t understand what he’s doing
The question was: How many points will it take to win each game on Iowa's schedule.?
The answer is 2. It takes only 2 points to win a game of football.
The more pertinent question would have been: "How many points will Iowa have to score to win each game?"

And you obviously don't understand what I was doing.

But to your point, I do understand the OP's intent. And I think he has most score higher than needed, with the possible exception of PSU.

Don’t forget the 1 point safety
I could be wrong but I think the only way to get a 1-point safety is on a PAT attempt. This means you need to score a TD first, go for 2, turn the ball over to the other team, have the other team run into the end zone and you then tackle the other team for a 1-pt safety. End result you get 7 points total. 6 for the TD and 1 for the safety.

Now I suppose its possible the team kicking the extra point could run backwards into the other teams endzone and gets tackled for 1-pt safety. So your team gets 6 points and the other team gets 1 point. So it is possible for 1 team to score only 1 point in a game, but in order for a team to score only 1 point, the other team has to score a 6-pt TD first. So its impossible to win a game 1-0.

So, yes the minimum number of points it takes to win a game is 2 points.

Latest posts