If you hit the lottery this week, how much would you donate to Iowa?

okeefe4prez

Let's just hypothetically say you cashed in and walked away with ballpark $400 million. Would you donate any funds to the University of Iowa Athletic Department? How much? Any strings attached?

I wouldn't give any, but if I did, I would want the Case IH redzone renamed the "O'Keefe Zone."

I might donate some. I'd attend a ton of games and events. I mean traveling to Iowa and other sporting events would be my full time job pretty much (assuming we get to do that again)

I'd set a number for just me keep to start with of like 25 mil lets say that's way more then too much for me. And of that I'd set aside like 5 to invest in something safe and just never touch.

The rest I'd be giving away to family friends strangers and charities in the most fun ways possible. I wouldn't be looking to get my name on any wall in a hospital or school but it'd be fun to make an impact. That's real money that can help a whole lot of people. I sure as hell don't need 300 plus million bucks.

Let's just hypothetically say you cashed in and walked away with ballpark $400 million. Would you donate any funds to the University of Iowa Athletic Department? How much? Any strings attached?

I wouldn't give any, but if I did, I would want the Case IH redzone renamed the "O'Keefe Zone."
$400 mill? I'd do two things.

1) I would sign a contract pledging twice as much money as Brent Feller each year with the stipulation that he's only allowed to attend games in Row 74 of Kinnick Stadium (not 75, so he's got someone's knees in his back) and he's outright banned from Carver and traveling on the team charter planes.

2) I'd make a ridiculous donation of like $20 million bucks to buy the Paca club level and only allow disadvantaged kids in it free of charge, no exceptions.

As an additional condition of my two donations above, each year for the nebraska game players get two helmets. Helmet #1 has a Tigerhawk on one side and a graphic of Keith Duncan blowing a kiss to Scott Frost on the other. Helmet #2 is the same only reversed, so that no matter which endzone we're defending we can switch helmets and Frost has to look at it the whole game. That would be in effect for as long as Frost is coaching, so really it'll only be a couple years...not a big deal.

Capture.jpg

Last edited:
The rest I'd be giving away to family friends strangers and charities in the most fun ways possible.
So, I've had this conversation with a buddy of mine before. I have what some people might call a twisted sense of humor, so I offered him a deal. This friend of mine is really big into fishing, and his dream job has always been to be a pro bass fisherman. Me being the caring friend I am told him if I win the lottery I'll make that dream come true (with one very important stipulation).

I told him if I ever win a bigtime lottery I will finance his career as a tourney fisherman in perpetuity. Boats, fuel, tackle, travel, entry fees, and a comfortable living wage. Even if he comes in last place every week, he's set for life.

The only requirement is that every day he's out on the water (and hopefully on TV), he has to fish in full Bozo The Clown regalia. I'm talking the suit, big shoes, the wig, red nose, and full makeup. No exceptions. I don't want to be able to tell the difference between him and the Bozo who was on WGN when I was a kid.

He shook my hand on it, btw, so if it ever happens keep your eyes peeled on the Outdoor channel.

Last edited:
$400 mill? I'd do two things.

1) I would sign a contract pledging twice as much money as Brent Feller each year with the stipulation that he's only allowed to attend games in Row 74 of Kinnick Stadium (not 75, so he's got someone's knees in his back) and he's outright banned from Carver and traveling on the team charter planes.

2) I'd make a ridiculous donation of like $20 million bucks to buy the Paca club level and only allow disadvantaged kids in it free of charge, no exceptions.

As an additional condition of my two donations above, each year for the nebraska game players get two helmets. Helmet #1 has a Tigerhawk on one side and a graphic of Keith Duncan blowing a kiss at Scott Frost on the other. Helmet #2 is the same only reversed, so that no matter which endzone we're defending we can switch helmets and Frost has to look at it the whole game. That would be in effect for as long as Frost is coaching, so really it'll only be a couple years...not a big deal.

Capture.jpg
Down here they wisely don't disclose the winner because of safety concerns. But I think in Iowa they do a press conference. I'll bet if you wore an Iowa sweatshirt at it and said "I want GarBar to come to my house to discuss how I'm gonna spend some of this money" he'd prolly be beating down your door within a few days.

If you pulled that off, what sort of meeting would you schedule with him? I'd say "we have to meet at Maid Rite and Gar better bring a big appetite."

Down here they wisely don't disclose the winner because of safety concerns. But I think in Iowa they do a press conference. I'll bet if you wore an Iowa sweatshirt at it and said "I want GarBar to come to my house to discuss how I'm gonna spend some of this money" he'd prolly be beating down your door within a few days.

If you pulled that off, what sort of meeting would you schedule with him? I'd say "we have to meet at Maid Rite and Gar better bring a big appetite."
Asking for an AD job as "Executive Director of Opponent Trolling" would definitely be part of my acquisition package.

I'd buy the Hawkeyenation.com site and immediately replace the moderator.
But where would you go to bitch and moan? It’s your favorite pastime. And you definitely wouldn’t need to win the lottery. Your drive thru salary is more than enough to buy off someone like me.

Last edited:
Probably enough to get me decent seats at both basketball and football games.

But if I ever won the lottery our local high school baseball team would be getting one hell of an upgrade as we desperately need lights. Last summer I was able to scrap up enough of a donation to get a pitcher speed sign mounted. I would also be building a little league complex for the kiddos to play ball on.

I might donate some. I'd attend a ton of games and events. I mean traveling to Iowa and other sporting events would be my full time job pretty much (assuming we get to do that again)

I'd set a number for just me keep to start with of like 25 mil lets say that's way more then too much for me. And of that I'd set aside like 5 to invest in something safe and just never touch.

The rest I'd be giving away to family friends strangers and charities in the most fun ways possible. I wouldn't be looking to get my name on any wall in a hospital or school but it'd be fun to make an impact. That's real money that can help a whole lot of people. I sure as hell don't need 300 plus million bucks.

"I'd be giving away to...family... strangers..."
Did you know that we were actually long, lost cousins?

Probably enough to get me decent seats at both basketball and football games.

But if I ever won the lottery our local high school baseball team would be getting one hell of an upgrade as we desperately need lights. Last summer I was able to scrap up enough of a donation to get a pitcher speed sign mounted. I would also be building a little league complex for the kiddos to play ball on.

Damn, where do you live that the HS field doesn't have lights? Every little league facility in our area has lights. Spring ball starts in a few weeks!

Damn, where do you live that the HS field doesn't have lights? Every little league facility in our area has lights. Spring ball starts in a few weeks!
Trinity Christian in my area doesn't have lights. They're a tiny school that broke away from Hull-Western Christian over some disagreements in the church.

As an umpire it's awesome that they don't have lights and I hope they don't get any. JV/Varsity double headers start at 4:30 and I'm easily pulling in my driveway by 8:30 at the latest. They don't F around between games and they keep everything moving because they know that once the sun sets they're done. The JV games go by time instead of innings, and there's no extra innings for varsity. Easy $130.

Normal JV/V games I don't get home till 10:30 depending on where they're at, and two years ago I had a 12 inning snooze fest at Boyden-Hull that went until 11:00 plus my hour drive home.

I'd close in the South end zone and make those extra seats gameday "knothole" seats like they were back in the 70s.

So, I've had this conversation with a buddy of mine before. I have what some people might call a twisted sense of humor, so I offered him a deal. This friend of mine is really big into fishing, and his dream job has always been to be a pro bass fisherman. Me being the caring friend I am told him if I win the lottery I'll make that dream come true (with one very important stipulation).

I told him if I ever win a bigtime lottery I will finance his career as a tourney fisherman in perpetuity. Boats, fuel, tackle, travel, entry fees, and a comfortable living wage. Even if he comes in last place every week, he's set for life.

The only requirement is that every day he's out on the water (and hopefully on TV), he has to fish in full Bozo The Clown regalia. I'm talking the suit, big shoes, the wig, red nose, and full makeup. No exceptions. I don't want to be able to tell the difference between him and the Bozo who was on WGN when I was a kid.

He shook my hand on it, btw, so if it ever happens keep your eyes peeled on the Outdoor channel.
That's exactly the fun type of shit I'd be doing. I have friends that are fans of all sorts of teams. One is a KC Chiefs fan so I'd probably get him great season tickets but make him have to wear a Jerry Rice jersey to the games. I know I'd do that sort of shit to my brother and a whole lot of other guys. I mean what's the point of having that kind of money if you aren't having fun.

That's exactly the fun type of shit I'd be doing. I have friends that are fans of all sorts of teams. One is a KC Chiefs fan so I'd probably get him great season tickets but make him have to wear a Jerry Rice jersey to the games. I know I'd do that sort of shit to my brother and a whole lot of other guys. I mean what's the point of having that kind of money if you aren't having fun.

You gotta be really careful with money like that. One of my buddies took a vacation once and because of an overbooking problem at the main resort he got upgraded to some set of villas in the resort that were like $50k a night or something absurd. He said that the guard shack at the place asked if he wanted to share the contact information for their ransom insurance. He asked some family staying there what was up with that and they said "Yeah, you have to carry ransom insurance in case someone gets kidnapped because it can take too long to liquidate assets to satisfy the ransom demand." I thought the guy was full of shit, but then I looked it up and sure enough, there are all kinds of companies who sell it.

You gotta be really careful with money like that. One of my buddies took a vacation once and because of an overbooking problem at the main resort he got upgraded to some set of villas in the resort that were like $50k a night or something absurd. He said that the guard shack at the place asked if he wanted to share the contact information for their ransom insurance. He asked some family staying there what was up with that and they said "Yeah, you have to carry ransom insurance in case someone gets kidnapped because it can take too long to liquidate assets to satisfy the ransom demand." I thought the guy was full of shit, but then I looked it up and sure enough, there are all kinds of companies who sell it.
I'm not even sure how much out of the country traveling I'd be doing. There's a ton of this one I haven't seen yet that'll keep me busy. There's a boat load of air b & b places to rent that I'd probably mostly do that. 10-15 yrs ago I'd have been all about traveling more around the world now I'm just kinda like eh...

Latest posts