EJ we have a new memeber

I don't think it's nice of us as a fanbase to single out an 18 year old kid as a disappointment based on where his other offers came from.

The bigger issue to me is that SCOUT ranks us #49 in the country, and we don't crack the Rivals Top 50.

That is Inexcusable, no matter how you slice it.

What were Bob Sanders rankings and measureables when he came to Iowa

Oh Moses Smell The Roses.

Look dude, for every Bob Sanders there are 5 guys who get announced on Senior Day who everyone looks at and says, "who?"

If we're relying on Bob Sanders stories, this program is in deep deep trouble.

I know what you're getting at here, but we need to get out of looking to this.

I don't think it's nice of us as a fanbase to single out an 18 year old kid as a disappointment based on where his other offers came from.

The bigger issue to me is that SCOUT ranks us #49 in the country, and we don't crack the Rivals Top 50.

The rankings mean nothing, half of the kids peak in HS, are lazy, too dumb for school, or played against crappy competition. Ferentz tosses around redshirts, gets dudes bulked up and the product by the time the kid is projected to get significant PT (maybe RS soph or junior year) he is completely different than on the day he signs his LOI. Remember our great 2005 recruiting class that had way more busts than stars (and most of the stars weren't the heralded guys ordained by the Postman from Palatine)? At some point, we've gotta trust Ferentz's judgment or else these strong seasons will be a distant memory.

I wish I better understood the logic Rivals uses in their rankings. Why is Missouri ranked ahead of us with 14 commits, all of whom are 3-stars? As of their latest rankings, we had 13 commits, 3 4-stars, and 2 2-stars. That seems like a better class to me based on Rivals own evaluations.

It doesn't really matter, obviously-- just seems odd to me. It also seems like Iowa is going to rise quite a bit once they fill out their class-- a lot of teams have 20+ signees while we are now at 14. (But headed to 22 or something, right?)

Oh Moses Smell The Roses.

Look dude, for every Bob Sanders there are 5 guys who get announced on Senior Day who everyone looks at and says, "who?"

If we're relying on Bob Sanders stories, this program is in deep deep trouble.

I know what you're getting at here, but we need to get out of looking to this.

By all means, we can't have ANY guys who are undersized, under-the-radar, etc. We can't rely on guys like that, or we're in deep trouble.

Seriously, some of you are acting like this kid is expected to be the crown jewel of the class. For right now, he's one of those "glue guys" of the class. I really don't know what you expect, 4/5-star guys across the board? That will NEVER happen on a consistent basis at Iowa.

Castillo has also made plenty of highlight reels.

I mean, this is all fine and good, but we have better watch out less we want to clue the rest of the B1G into our secret recruiting.

Look, I know I'm preaching to the choir to you OK4P, but Kirk Ferentz is the inventor of moneyball for football. He is the original sabremetrician of football and its well known that Michael Lewis is in Iowa City right now writing his sequel featuring Kirk Ferentz. I'm pretty sure it is going to be called 4th and the Big Short.

I'm just concerned that too much enthusiasm is going to cause Ohio State and Wisconsin and Michigan to realize what they are doing and start looking for the next Bob, er I mean Aam Shada.

I'm not big on the Hawk's recruiting efforts in most years but I do recall a statement that Ferentz made recently about who he highly respects for their knowledge and observations of the game. That gentleman is Gerry DiNardo.

DiNardo offered his thoughts on recruiting recently and said that most skill position players in the MAC are not that much different than most skill position talent in the BCS conferences. Where the real differences in talent lie between these two levels of play are in the trenches. This would seem to make some sense as it isn't often that we're competing with the MACs of the world for our OL and DL players. It's usually the skill or speed positions.

Using the example that DiNardo referenced I'd say the MAC has sent pretty good representation to the NFL especially at WR, DB, and RB.

VanDelaySports.com - MAC football players in the NFL - Mid-American Conference Athletics

Do I need to say it again? Top salary should yield top recruiting classes not a sprinkle of 4* guys filled in with 3* being the majority of the recruits.

Seriously, I just understand why some people are happy with mediocre players that might, could, possibly, potentially, theoretically, become a needle in the haystack. If we were recruiting and signing 4* kids then we wouldn't be concerned about the rural Nebraska dirt farmer who carried furniture up hill when it was snowing to make a living that makes it big and signs an NFL contract.

This kid, might end up the next Bob Sanders and I hope he does.

Hawkeye12345 - please stop talking about how jealous you are about Ferentz's salary.

I mean, you'd be so much happier with the results if we were only paying him 2MM a year, right?

The rankings mean nothing, half of the kids peak in HS, are lazy, too dumb for school, or played against crappy competition. Ferentz tosses around redshirts, gets dudes bulked up and the product by the time the kid is projected to get significant PT (maybe RS soph or junior year) he is completely different than on the day he signs his LOI. Remember our great 2005 recruiting class that had way more busts than stars (and most of the stars weren't the heralded guys ordained by the Postman from Palatine)? At some point, we've gotta trust Ferentz's judgment or else these strong seasons will be a distant memory.
You really had me going with that post, then went and assassinated it with your final sentence.

This kid, might end up the next Bob Sanders and I hope he does.

Hawkeye12345 - please stop talking about how jealous you are about Ferentz's salary.

I mean, you'd be so much happier with the results if we were only paying him 2MM a year, right?

This is the attitude to have.

Lord knows Ferentz has some things we'd all like to see corrected but talent evaluation isn't one of them.

Most importantly, show some respect for the new Hawkeye.

As always, whiners love to whine...first, we pay the coaches what we pay them to evaluate recruits. If they are relying on recruiting agencies and not doing their own evaluations, then I do not want them as a coach. Second, stars mean nothing, it is the effort/growth of the individual player that matters (There is a reason, Iowa gets so many players to the NFL...oh yeah, how many of those are 5*s). Third, I am serving cheese and crackers today...

Yes, just on the facilities alone they ought to do better than that. I guess we'll have to wait and see how they finish this class off.